Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Cool I won't say I'm in love...but I am!! A Feb '14 GSC PTR! (NEW 2/9)

Grab a water bottle, throw on your sweat bands, and lace up those sneaks' because we've got 19.3 magical miles ahead of us!

That's right, folks! The DISters (DIS sisters- disneyhorselover and I) are back running the Walt Disney World Enchanted 10k and Princess Half Marathon (together known as the Glass Slipper Challenge) and we're inviting you to join us! Whether you'll be earning your own pair of glass slippers, or reading from home, sit back, relax and enjoy the run!

For my new friends, I'll do some introductions!

Meet Emily:

I'm 20 years old and I love Disney, running and crafting.

I wasn't raised in a Disney-or-die family but have grown to love the parks over the past 3-4 years. I've traveled twice as a kid, and once this year with my sister. I hope to continue to see the World annually over the next couple of years! I especially love planning my fantasy Disney vacation with my sister. Growing up, I always loved to watch my beloved Disney VHS, especially the Little Mermaid!

I'm not narrating this PTR/TR alone! My partner-in-crime is my DSis Caitlin, whose joining me for the ride...and the run! All of her writing will look
like this.

Meet Caitlin:

Like Emily, I also enjoy Disney and running, but rather than crafting, I'm much more likely to be found on the back of a horse. I am lucky enough to have my dream job, training horses for a living. My favorite Disney movie changes from week to week, but the main stays are The Lion King, and more recently, Tangled.

I can't quite remember when I got bit by the Disney bug, but I went once as a child and then started going again when I was in college, and have been fortunate enough to travel to Disney several times over the past few years, though not as frequently as I'd like!

This trip we'll be traveling with our mom (DM, I suppose), and Caitlin's friend R.

Meet Mom (aka MJ):

Mom likes a good vacation- no matter where it is! She also loves to read, and reads over 70 books each year (yes- she actually counts!)

She first visited Disney with DDad on their honeymoon over 25 years ago. Though MJ doesn't love Disney quite like DSis and I, she tolerates our obsession and is very excited about going on a girl's trip! She won't be running but is excited to cheer us on with a sign and her Mickey clappers.

Meet R:

R is my best friend from college. She didn't go to Disney for the first time until she was 21, when we went for senior spring break. Since then, she has also fallen in love with The World, and has been able to go for a few more day trips since interning and then moving to Florida. Since we first booked, R was accepted to Vet School out of the country and now will only be able to cheer us on in spirit!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Last edited by emilyindisney; 02-09-2014 at 08:16 PM.
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Last edited by emilyindisney; 02-09-2014 at 08:13 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Can't wait to hear more about your plans!

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to hear more about your plans!
Welcome! Glad you made it!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I'm in!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I'm in!

Thanks for joining!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Eight
Mouseketeer

Count me in!

I really wish I could do the GSC, but with doing the marathon the month before, I don't think it will happen. I will have to live vicariously through your P/TR!
Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight View Post
Count me in!

I really wish I could do the GSC, but with doing the marathon the month before, I don't think it will happen. I will have to live vicariously through your P/TR!
I will do my best to make it like you're right there running with us! I cannot wait to hear about your marathon! Are you doing a PTR?

Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

How this trip came to be (part one)

It's hard to pinpoint exactly where this trip began because it is really the culmination of a lot of different events. After thinking it over, I've decided I don't think this trip would be possible without Philadelphia Marathon Weekend 2012. To make any sense of that, we have to back up to the beginning of 2012.

In January, I resolved to run a Warrior Dash with Caitlin. She'd done one the previous year and it seemed like a lot of fun. I didn't know how I was going to run 3 miles but, I agreed anyways.

I was telling a friend about this newly made pact, and she suggested that we sign up for a Color Me Rad race together. That way, I'd have motivation to follow through on my training over the spring because CMR was in May. So, I agreed to that too.

Then came the hard part- the running. I worked and worked and worked, and completed CMR in 35 minutes!

The race was a lot of fun, and the personal accomplishment I felt as I crossed the finish line was awesome. I was officially hooked.

Over the summer, I ran two more 5ks and improved my time each race! By the time Warrior Dash came around, I considered myself a runner.

Warrior Dash was my first race with DSis and we had a great time. We run well together, and finished Warrior Dash in 38 minutes (I think? DSis can probably confirm.)

When I got back to school in the fall (UConn- Go Huskies!) I joined the long distance running club. They were planning a weekend trip to the Philadelphia Marathon in November so I decided to take the plunge and sign up for the 8K on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, a week or two later this proved to be out of the question. We wouldn't be leaving campus for Philly until Saturday morning, after the race had already started. It was either sign up for the half marathon on Sunday, or stay home. I'm sure you can see where this is going...

With 9(ish) weeks of training, I completed my first half marathon in 2:17. Even though my legs were killing me as a crossed the finish line the feeling of earning that medal was addictive. I knew I had to get another one (and another, and another!)

A few weeks later, I signed up for two more half marathons- one in April and one in September. Though this whole process, I'd talked a lot to Caitlin about how happy I was I'd done Philly and how I knew I wanted to do more. Caitlin had been running longer than I had been but had never done any serious races, or any long distance races. I kept saying she should do a half but she would jokingly tell me she'd only do a half marathon if it was the Princess Half Marathon.

Flash foward to January when we're wandering around Animal Kingdom on the first day of our trip. Everywhere we look people have all sorts of race bling and we were jealous! Not only were there running medals, but they had Mickey Mouse on them. My two loves had come together and I had to have one of my own.

The idea of a runDisney race kept popping up over the course of the week. We'd throw out resort suggestions, or next time, we should... plans. By the time we went home, we knew we were going back for the 2014 Princess race!

Next Post

Last edited by emilyindisney; 06-23-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Eight
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure if I'll do a PTR yet or not, it depends on when my current one gets finished, and then, I'll probably do a Disneyland TR for Dumbo Double Dare, but I'd like to do one at some point!

Totally agree, that feeling of crossing the finish line and getting a medal, especially on longer races, is so addictive! And I must warn you, Disney medals are especially addictive. They are my favorites of the ones I have!
Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight View Post
I'm not sure if I'll do a PTR yet or not, it depends on when my current one gets finished, and then, I'll probably do a Disneyland TR for Dumbo Double Dare, but I'd like to do one at some point!

Totally agree, that feeling of crossing the finish line and getting a medal, especially on longer races, is so addictive! And I must warn you, Disney medals are especially addictive. They are my favorites of the ones I have!
I totally didn't realize you were doing Dumbo!!!! I feel silly because its right in your signature too, haha! Cannot wait to hear about that race(s).

I already feel addicted to Disney medals and I haven't even won one yet. I'm toying with the idea of an overnight to do ToT 10 miler in 2014 too!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
magichusky
Mouseketeer

Wow you guys really DO look like warriors in those Warrior Dash pics!! I don't know if I'd be able to work up the gumption to jump right into a mud pit w/ running shoes on! That Color Me Rad race also looks pretty awesome- and messy!
-In Progress- "I Don't Cruise… I Jingle Cruise." --A New Year's PTR--
magichusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichusky View Post
Wow you guys really DO look like warriors in those Warrior Dash pics!! I don't know if I'd be able to work up the gumption to jump right into a mud pit w/ running shoes on! That Color Me Rad race also looks pretty awesome- and messy!
Thanks! We felt pretty beastly after that race!

Trust me- I definitely didn't jump in with my good running shoes. I threw on a pair of old sneakers for the race that I designate for messy things (like Warrior Dash and Color Me Rad, haha!)

Old 06-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

How this trip came to be (part two)

My running story starts similarly to Emily's. I was a very casual runner, using it for exercise, but never really considering it possible to run long distance. My happy place was 1-2 miles...a far cry from 13.1. I was always impressed with half marathoners, and thought that was something I could NEVER do.
In August of 2011, a friend and I signed up for Warrior Dash, because we thought it looked like more fun than just running. It was! After completing that, I still wasn't sure about running long distance, but I had started to get hooked on that feeling of crossing the finish line for a medal. I signed up for 2 more Warrior Dashes in 2012, and completed them both.

This kept me running 2-3 miles a few days a week, but still nothing more. After completing those and a regular 5k in the fall, I was starting to consider myself a regular runner-of 3 miles or less.

After Emily completed her first half marathon, I decided I eventually had to do one as well, and that it would be a Disney one. As Emily mentioned, we were extremely jealous of the runners there for marathon weekend who got to walk around the parks wearing such amazing bling!! While we were in line, we started chatting with a woman behind us who had run the Goofy challenge, which we couldn't even fathom. On top of that, she was planning to run the Tinkerbelle half marathon in a week!!! We were obviously in awe of her, and she was very nice and told us a lot about Disney races and how she completed Goofy. I love the running community!

It was decided we were doing the Princess and the 5K figuring two medals would be awesome. When the opportunity arose to run the Glass Slipper Challenge and earn three medals we knew that's what we had to do!

Fast forward to today, where I have now run a 10k (to qualify for a better corral for the Princess Half), regularly run 8-9 miles on the weekends, and am registered for a half marathon in September, and the Glass Slipper Challenge in February.

Most people think that we are crazy for wanting to run this challenge. I'd probably agree with them....I'm fine with that!

Next Post

Last edited by emilyindisney; 06-30-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I'm loving your back story to this upcoming trip and your running histories. I'm a lazy runner who only runs 15 miles a week just to eat more junk food! I really wish I would get back to the 30 miles a week I used to run when I was more in shape. How awesome that you are doing this.

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing all about your training, planning and of course the accomplishment with this feat!!

BTW: I just got back from Hartford, CT for business! Go Huskies!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
february 2014, gsc, princess half marathon, rundisney

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: