Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
michashell
Mouseketeer

Connecting Rooms With Young Children

I'm just wondering what people's experiences has been doing this. I guess the worst case would be that upon check-in our request of adjoining rooms would NOT be fulfilled. It would be me, my husband and sons who will be 6 and almost 4. We are looking at the first week of December.

My husband and I were WDW travelers for years before having kids. Our first trip with the Kids was last October at AOA. It was great. Having more than one bathroom is a must for us as it made getting out the door much easier. The space was wonderful. However, I really missed having a table service restaurant. In addition, I would really like to try some of the other resorts. Before kids we stayed at both CS and BC and really loved both. PO also appeals to me. Honestly, they all do. It's Disney!

I'm just trying to think of the down side of doing this (besides not having the rooms actually adjoin via a common door). We also looked at BLT 1 BR but they are booked solid that week. It was also be a cost savings to books 2 mods.

Thanks so much!
michashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
DLgal
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't take that chance, honestly. They may not get you rooms that are connecting.

Our family is the same makeup as yours. While staying in suites is nice, for the extra space, at WDW we do just fine in one room. I would personally recommend one room in a larger deluxe room over two moderate rooms. The bathrooms in the dwluxes are bigger and set up so that more than one person can be getting ready at a time. With two boys, how much time do they really need in the bathroom to get ready? Shower the kids at night before bed so all they need to do is get dressed and brush teeth before you head out.
DLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michashell View Post
I'm just wondering what people's experiences has been doing this. I guess the worst case would be that upon check-in our request of adjoining rooms would NOT be fulfilled. It would be me, my husband and sons who will be 6 and almost 4. We are looking at the first week of December.

My husband and I were WDW travelers for years before having kids. Our first trip with the Kids was last October at AOA. It was great. Having more than one bathroom is a must for us as it made getting out the door much easier. The space was wonderful. However, I really missed having a table service restaurant. In addition, I would really like to try some of the other resorts. Before kids we stayed at both CS and BC and really loved both. PO also appeals to me. Honestly, they all do. It's Disney!

I'm just trying to think of the down side of doing this (besides not having the rooms actually adjoin via a common door). We also looked at BLT 1 BR but they are booked solid that week. It was also be a cost savings to books 2 mods.

Thanks so much!
With your family make up, connecting rooms (NOT adjoining rooms - those don't have the interior door) are NOT guaranteed. No matter how much is printed on your confirmation slip. You have two adults and two children. One adult and one child could be in one room and same with the second one.

It's really what you deem important. I think from your post that you really wanted two bathrooms and a table service restaurant. Plenty of places that do that on Disney property. But that's your decision. Just don't 100% count on connecting rooms at any Disney resort.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Dannek
So many roads to ease my soul...

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading in the past day or two where someone posted that connecting rooms are guaranteed at the Dolphin. I'd imagine that if that's true, the Swan might do the same thing.

If you don't need the DME and aren't driving a car (parking fee at the resort) then those might suit you if you like to be near to Epcot and HS. The prices seem to be about the same as moderates, so it may be worth looking into. You would also have a choice of several TS restaurants.

Good luck.
Dannek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

First off, be sure you are speaking Disney's lingo. What you want are connecting rooms. Those are the rooms with the inside door between them. Adjoining rooms are just rooms near each other.

If you decide to go the 2 room route, there are a few things you can do to up the odds of getting connecting rooms. First off, get to the resort early! Don't show up at 8 pm, show up at 8 am if possible. Second, make connecting rooms your only request. Third, do not book either the Contemporary or the All Star Music. Both of those resorts are rather limited on the number of connecting rooms they have to offer.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
michashell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
First off, be sure you are speaking Disney's lingo. What you want are connecting rooms. Those are the rooms with the inside door between them. Adjoining rooms are just rooms near each other.

If you decide to go the 2 room route, there are a few things you can do to up the odds of getting connecting rooms. First off, get to the resort early! Don't show up at 8 pm, show up at 8 am if possible. Second, make connecting rooms your only request. Third, do not book either the Contemporary or the All Star Music. Both of those resorts are rather limited on the number of connecting rooms they have to offer.

Good luck whatever you decide!
I do know that about the lingo, but I managed to mess it up in my post. Ha, ha. Thanks for the info about CR and ASM as well as the tip on arriving earlier rather than later.
michashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
vicb224
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLgal View Post
I wouldn't take that chance, honestly. They may not get you rooms that are connecting.

Our family is the same makeup as yours. While staying in suites is nice, for the extra space, at WDW we do just fine in one room. I would personally recommend one room in a larger deluxe room over two moderate rooms. The bathrooms in the dwluxes are bigger and set up so that more than one person can be getting ready at a time. With two boys, how much time do they really need in the bathroom to get ready? Shower the kids at night before bed so all they need to do is get dressed and brush teeth before you head out.
I agree. I wouldn't take the chance, especially if it's a busy time. If the request didn't get honored, it would almost ruin my time at the resort.. Being separated. But squeezing into a deluxe room would just be inconvenient.
If 2 bathrooms are that important I'd get a family suite at a value.
vicb224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Mom24Princesses
DIS Veteran

I feel your pain - BUT we have had connecting rooms for the past five WDW trips and 2 DCL cruises.
We try to arrive on Fridays or Mondays. This seems to help.
I always sweat it before - but it has always worked out.

Good Luck!
ASMu--July 96; ASMu--Aug 98; PORS--June 01; ASMu--July 03; POP--Feb 04; CSR--June 04; ASMo--June 07; AoA--June 13
DCL

1st DCL Eastern MAGIC APRIL 1-8, 2006

THEN!!
2nd DCL Western MAGIC April 5-12, 2008
Mom24Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
kam1011
Mouseketeer

It's not guaranteed, but we've always gotten connecting rooms when we've asked, too. Just spreading the positive thoughts!

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...

kam1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

How about a 1-bedroom at VWL or AKL? Or I would highly suggest looking into a Jr. Suite at CSR. They have a bedroom, living room and two full baths.

We have gotten connecting rooms every time we have requested them, but I wouldn't risk it. I would go with a 1-bedroom villa at any of the DVC resorts or try the Jr. Suite at CSR.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: