Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
ChristineandLiv
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancemomma View Post
Do you remember what website?
I am almost positive she went through cruises.com.
ChristineandLiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancemomma View Post
I thought the ferry that is at the pier was for dcl guests only though. I wish I could just book through dcl, I would even pay the little bit extra that they charge. Unfortunately they will not allow my son to go because of his age. I find this very frustrating as I have seen plenty of toddlers enjoying the experience in videos and while I can see how this could be a bit dangerous, I don't see it being any more dangerous than a petting zoo nor do I see it being any less dangerous when he is a year or even two years older. I will probably end up skipping the experience if it doesn't seem easy enough to book outside of dcl which is a shame because I don't know when my family will get another opportunity to pet and play with a dolphin. I would still love to hear from someone who has had personal experience and success booking through blue lagoon. Thank you all for your advice so far!
I'm sure it isn't that DCL doesn't want your money, but they don't want the liability of a child under 5 or 6 to be near an an animal (and their insurer might set some limits too). You can take responsibility for your child, they cannot, and they know that even if you sign a waiver, you could still sue them so they don't allow waivers for age.

They allow children on the beach day tour, just not near the animals. The same holds true for some of the horseback riding excursions, some of the sailing or snorkeling things.

You have to realize that many of the tour operators outside the USA don't have the same safety standards was a deep pocket like Disney. If something happens at Blue Lagoon and you need to sue them, you are going to have to navigate the Bahamian legal system. Accident in Mexico? Collecting is going to be difficult.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer
 
irishdancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineandLiv View Post

I am almost positive she went through cruises.com.
Thanks so much!
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer
 
irishdancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post

I'm sure it isn't that DCL doesn't want your money, but they don't want the liability of a child under 5 or 6 to be near an an animal (and their insurer might set some limits too). You can take responsibility for your child, they cannot, and they know that even if you sign a waiver, you could still sue them so they don't allow waivers for age.

They allow children on the beach day tour, just not near the animals. The same holds true for some of the horseback riding excursions, some of the sailing or snorkeling things.

You have to realize that many of the tour operators outside the USA don't have the same safety standards was a deep pocket like Disney. If something happens at Blue Lagoon and you need to sue them, you are going to have to navigate the Bahamian legal system. Accident in Mexico? Collecting is going to be difficult.

Nancy
I do understand why the age requirement is in place. It doesn't change the fact that it is frustrating that we live in a world where people sue so often and for so many things that companies feel the need to over protect themselves. It is even more frustrating that I am not allowed to book the excursion outside of DCL. I love Disney and all, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it would hurt them to lose a few bucks from those who choose to book outside of the cruise line. Most wouldn't choose to do that anyway and Disney has more money than they could ever need.
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancemomma

I do understand why the age requirement is in place. It doesn't change the fact that it is frustrating that we live in a world where people sue so often and for so many things that companies feel the need to over protect themselves. It is even more frustrating that I am not allowed to book the excursion outside of DCL. I love Disney and all, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it would hurt them to lose a few bucks from those who choose to book outside of the cruise line. Most wouldn't choose to do that anyway and Disney has more money than they could ever need.
BTW we had to sign a liability waiver that included DEATH before going to the Sea Lions! Haha. Death by sea lion.... On a serious note, they are big strong animals. I thought it was a bit humorous tho..
__________________
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #21
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer
 
irishdancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post

BTW we had to sign a liability waiver that included DEATH before going to the Sea Lions! Haha. Death by sea lion.... On a serious note, they are big strong animals. I thought it was a bit humorous tho..
Haha! That is a bit humorous. I can understand why though.
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #22
bmahokie
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Greensboro NC
Posts: 125

Long story short - I booked Blue Lagoon directly through a 3rd party and when I got to the pier was told I did NOT have a reservation, even though my credit card had been run and I had a confirmation number. I was told my confirmation number was bogus. The Blue Lagoon rep told me that on days the Dream or Fantasy is in port they sell ALL of their spots to Disney and there is no way to make a valid reservation other than going through DCL. She said that Nassau 3rd party companies know this but continue to book reservations they know they don't have the right to make. This was back in June, 2012 so things may have changed since then.

Happy ending - the Blue Lagoon rep knew the loser that took my money, and called him up and blessed him out. She got him to refund my credit card (they even brought me the credit card refund slip when the next Blue Lagoon boat came over to the island) AND gave our entire family a free Dolphin Encounter for our troubles. (We had booked a Swim With The Dolphins, but that was entirely sold out for the day and there were not 4 openings.) The Blue Lagoon people couldn't have been nicer. We had a great day and I highly recommend them.
__________________
bmahokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer
 
irishdancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmahokie View Post
Long story short - I booked Blue Lagoon directly through a 3rd party and when I got to the pier was told I did NOT have a reservation, even though my credit card had been run and I had a confirmation number. I was told my confirmation number was bogus. The Blue Lagoon rep told me that on days the Dream or Fantasy is in port they sell ALL of their spots to Disney and there is no way to make a valid reservation other than going through DCL. She said that Nassau 3rd party companies know this but continue to book reservations they know they don't have the right to make. This was back in June, 2012 so things may have changed since then.

Happy ending - the Blue Lagoon rep knew the loser that took my money, and called him up and blessed him out. She got him to refund my credit card (they even brought me the credit card refund slip when the next Blue Lagoon boat came over to the island) AND gave our entire family a free Dolphin Encounter for our troubles. (We had booked a Swim With The Dolphins, but that was entirely sold out for the day and there were not 4 openings.) The Blue Lagoon people couldn't have been nicer. We had a great day and I highly recommend them.
So glad you told me this! Weird that previous poster was able to book through a third party though. Perhaps I should just wait until we get to the port and hope for open spots. I don't suppose we will die without the dolphin excursion.
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmahokie View Post

Happy ending - the Blue Lagoon rep knew the loser that took my money, and called him up and blessed him out. She got him to refund my credit card (they even brought me the credit card refund slip when the next Blue Lagoon boat came over to the island) AND gave our entire family a free Dolphin Encounter for our troubles. (We had booked a Swim With The Dolphins, but that was entirely sold out for the day and there were not 4 openings.) The Blue Lagoon people couldn't have been nicer. We had a great day and I highly recommend them.
I was told that too. Dolphin Encounters Rep: "If Disney ship is in port, than we have no spaces available." (Hopefully the other cruise lines get some too?)

Anyway "rock on, Blue Lagoon, you are so totally sweet" (in the words of a lil sea turtle) for awesome customer service and taking care of you!

Your story makes me even happier that we booked with Disney. There is only one chance for the Sea Lion encounters (not swim OR encounter) and we could have been sunk! It made our family trip.

Love you, Maggie & Bonnie!
__________________
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.