Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer
 
irishdancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100

Has anyone ever tried to book the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter through Blue Lagoon directly?

Was it through their website or at the port?

Did they ask what ship you were on?

Did you tell them it was disney?

Did they allow you to book?

When did your experience happen?

I would really like to take my almost 2 year old in this excursion. Disney will not allow it as he is not yet 3 but Blue Lagoon will (no min age). I know some of you may not think taking such a young child is a good idea, but I have watched many videos of the experience and I really don't see the big problem with taking him. If he gets freaked out I can sit out with him, but I don't see that happening as he is not afraid of water or animals.

Eta: Title should say Dolphin Encounters
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!
 
STLDisney_Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Suburban St Louis
Posts: 1,667

They will not let you book directly if they know you are on Disney cruise line due to contract obligations. I have emailed them directly once and was told I had to book with the cruise line.

Sent from iPhone
__________________



Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Lauriejl2
Mouseketeer
 
Lauriejl2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 116

I have not but I read that if u book with them directly you just can not tell them you are on a ship. But I believe u then need to take a taxi over to the ferry yourself you wouldn't get to go with the disney cruise line group. I have not tried it myself only going by what I read. Seems to risky to me.
__________________
Laurie
Lauriejl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,367

They will have a booth at the pier where you can book if they have spots available. We have always seen the booths set up in each port when we get off the ship.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial
 
Disney Dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere this side of the rainbow
Posts: 16,082

All of the above is true. They have a contractual agreement with DCL and will not book you if they learn that you are with the cruise --- they are legally not allowed to do so.

- Dreams
__________________
Uh-oh! What did we do?!?! OMG, we did it!


Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer
 
irishdancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100

Okay, that's what I had read. If I wait to see if they have room and then book at the port do I still need to not say I'm with disney? Does anyone know if they ask with either booking method? I don't know that I would be able to straight up lie, but if I wasn't asked I could keep my mouth shut. Lol! Where would I need to get a taxi to? Does anyone know?
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,442

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancemomma
Okay, that's what I had read. If I wait to see if they have room and then book at the port do I still need to not say I'm with disney? Does anyone know if they ask with either booking method? I don't know that I would be able to straight up lie, but if I wasn't asked I could keep my mouth shut. Lol! Where would I need to get a taxi to? Does anyone know?
I tried several different tour companies who badly wanted to sell me encounters and even took my credit card down. They could not get us on a reservation. Like DC bought them all up or something. They had the regular beach days for us so it wasn't that we were on the ship. They just only have a few encounters a day and the cruise lines seem to reserve most of them. In the end, we did the sea lions thru DCL and had a great time. At least they had 3 available to sell.

BTW u don't take a taxi. The ferry is right by the cruise terminal. But whether you have to take a different time, I don't know. DCs was at 9:30 and so we were the first encounters of the day and got to enjoy the beach all day! The other tour companies were after 10:30. So unsure if you would have to wait for a later ferry or not. There are a few downsides to not going the DC way. But I did my research and I tried! But it would have been impossible without DC. Thank Goodness! It was a great day!
__________________
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

The boat that takes you to Blue Lagoon is right at the pier, so I don't think there is any 'taxi' involved. We walked down the pier and then just got on the boat that takes you across the harbor. On the way back, anyone at Blue Lagoon could get on any boat back, and it returned us to the same place.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer
 
irishdancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100

I thought the ferry that is at the pier was for dcl guests only though. I wish I could just book through dcl, I would even pay the little bit extra that they charge. Unfortunately they will not allow my son to go because of his age. I find this very frustrating as I have seen plenty of toddlers enjoying the experience in videos and while I can see how this could be a bit dangerous, I don't see it being any more dangerous than a petting zoo nor do I see it being any less dangerous when he is a year or even two years older. I will probably end up skipping the experience if it doesn't seem easy enough to book outside of dcl which is a shame because I don't know when my family will get another opportunity to pet and play with a dolphin. I would still love to hear from someone who has had personal experience and success booking through blue lagoon. Thank you all for your advice so far!
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,442

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancemomma
I thought the ferry that is at the pier was for dcl guests only though. I wish I could just book through dcl, I would even pay the little bit extra that they charge. Unfortunately they will not allow my son to go because of his age. I find this very frustrating as I have seen plenty of toddlers enjoying the experience in videos and while I can see how this could be a bit dangerous, I don't see it being any more dangerous than a petting zoo nor do I see it being any less dangerous when he is a year or even two years older. I will probably end up skipping the experience if it doesn't seem easy enough to book outside of dcl which is a shame because I don't know when my family will get another opportunity to pet and play with a dolphin. I would still love to hear from someone who has had personal experience and success booking through blue lagoon. Thank you all for your advice so far!
Have you contacted Dolphin Encounters and explained your concerns? You can email them any time. I just emailed them today..maybe they can sell you the Jr ticket since if DC refuses to, it might let them out of their exclusivity contract for him, and then you buy the remaining ones yourself with DC? As long as you have a reservation confirmation number, you should be able to get on the ferry at the pier. This is conjecture since your situation is unusual, but its a possibility?

The ferry is for blue lagoon and operated by Dolphin Encounter but is not exclusive to DC. We purchased a seahorse sail and snorkel last cruise. They checked our printout and we loaded up with all the other cruisers and guests at that same pier when we bought ours on priceline not with the cruise, so I doubt they have exclusive rights to the ferry if its like that. especially if the rest of your party is booked with DC. Then it's a no brainer to get on the ferry together.
__________________
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer
 
irishdancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post

Have you contacted Dolphin Encounters and explained your concerns? You can email them any time. I just emailed them today..maybe they can sell you the Jr ticket since if DC refuses to, it might let them out of their exclusivity contract for him, and then you buy the remaining ones yourself with DC? As long as you have a reservation confirmation number, you should be able to get on the ferry at the pier. This is conjecture since your situation is unusual, but its a possibility?

The ferry is for blue lagoon and operated by Dolphin Encounter but is not exclusive to DC. We purchased a seahorse sail and snorkel last cruise. They checked our printout and we loaded up with all the other cruisers and guests at that same pier when we bought ours on priceline not with the cruise, so I doubt they have exclusive rights to the ferry if its like that. especially if the rest of your party is booked with DC. Then it's a no brainer to get on the ferry together.
Hmm... That's a thought. They don't really sell Jr Tix though I don't think. I will check! Thanks for the idea!
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,367

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancemomma View Post
Okay, that's what I had read. If I wait to see if they have room and then book at the port do I still need to not say I'm with disney? Does anyone know if they ask with either booking method? I don't know that I would be able to straight up lie, but if I wasn't asked I could keep my mouth shut. Lol! Where would I need to get a taxi to? Does anyone know?
Once you are at the port they don't have the same restrictions. Their contract only prevents them from prebooking the excursions with cruise line guests. The booths are right outside the gates of the pier, so they know that you have gotten off one of the cruise ships.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer
 
irishdancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post

Once you are at the port they don't have the same restrictions. Their contract only prevents them from prebooking the excursions with cruise line guests. The booths are right outside the gates of the pier, so they know that you have gotten off one of the cruise ships.
This is what I wanted to know about booking the day of. Thanks! Anyone ever have any luck booking so late?
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
ChristineandLiv
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 155

We went on the Dream in May 2011. We booked that cruise through an online cruise website, and my mother in law actually booked the excursion through them as well....I remember when we got off the ship, we had to take a water taxi to the part of the island where Atlantis is. From there, we took a ferry to the blue lagoon. We definitely did not book the excursion through Disney, as it was a lot more expensive.
ChristineandLiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer
 
irishdancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineandLiv View Post
We went on the Dream in May 2011. We booked that cruise through an online cruise website, and my mother in law actually booked the excursion through them as well....I remember when we got off the ship, we had to take a water taxi to the part of the island where Atlantis is. From there, we took a ferry to the blue lagoon. We definitely did not book the excursion through Disney, as it was a lot more expensive.
Do you remember what website?
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.