Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Claudia Kellenberger
DIS Veteran

AAA Discounts?

I am always on the search for discounts for early December. I am currently NOT a member of AAA. How much of a discount does AAA usually offer?
Do you have to book through AAA to get the discount? Is the discount for "room only"? Are there any blackout dates?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Claudia Kellenberger
DIS Veteran

( I forgot to put on instant notify to my own thread )
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

I use my AAA discount for room only & I also use it to buy my Disney tickets. There are alot of people on the boards that use a Disney specific AAA agent to book package vacations. I live in Florida so don't need a package. Sorry I'm not more help.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Kellenberger View Post
I am always on the search for discounts for early December. I am currently NOT a member of AAA. How much of a discount does AAA usually offer?
Do you have to book through AAA to get the discount? Is the discount for "room only"? Are there any blackout dates?
You can call Disney directly to get a AAA room-only discount. If you want a package with the AAA discount (room/tickets or room/tickets/dining), you must go through AAA.

I have found that with AAA, the room-only discount is typically about 10%, some resorts, room categories, etc. are not included - it really just depends what has been placed in the AAA discount inventory.

If you have a certain resort/room category and dates in mind, the best thing to do is just call up Disney and ask if there is a AAA offered for that time frame. That should give you a general sense of whether it's worth becoming a member or not.

Honestly, unless it's a Disney discount black-out time, Disney tends to come out with better general public discounts than the standard AAA discount. The only time I use the AAA discount now is if I waited until the last minute and decided to go to WDW after the general public discounts had expired.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Last January I had a 20% room only discount, at POFQ. Booked directly with Disney.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

We have a AAA room only for the Villas at Wilderness Lodge 1 bedroom. We were given 20% off of the room. Our travel dates are 11/17 thru 11/23. If a bigger discount comes out that is cool, otherwise we are happy with the amount of money we saved.

nyrebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

I booked directly with Disney and used a AAA rate for AKL, since it was higher than the 5% disney was offering off our room category. You just need to have your AAA card at check in.

WDW: Wilderness Lodge 2011 | Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk Inn CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 | Polynesian CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge CL 2013

DLR: Candy Cane Inn 2013 | Candy Cane Inn, Grand Californian 2014
mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Haley
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You can book a room only with the AAA discount directly through Disney but a package must be booked through AAA.

Like others said- there is usually a promotion better than the AAA discount though.
Disney Trips: Ft Wilderness '83, Ft. Wilderness '91, ASM July'96, Boardwalk/DCL Magic July '98, CBR/DCL Wonder '00, DCL Magic '03, CBR July '04, CBR May '05, AKL Oct '05, Poly Dec '06, DCL Wonder '06, Beach Club May '07, DCL Wonder '07, Pop/AKL Oct '08 Engaged, Ft. Wild. May 09, Poly Oct 09 Honeymoon!, DCL Magic Nov '09, Pop Oct '10, AoA/BCV Oct '12, Pop Century Dec '13!
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
princesslover
DIS Veteran

I am so glad someone asked this question!

We are using a pin for free dining. We are also AAA members. I am going to assume that there is no way AAA is going to meet the free dining package, correct?

In any case, we booked our package with our pin for free dining today at WL. Is it worth calling Disney back to see about a room only discount? I am assuming there are only certain rooms available, and we were looking at courtyard view with BB. I'm wondering if we will have to change rooms, etc. and whether it's even worth it to call.

**Also wondering - I know Disney doesn't "combine discounts," but if Disney does a general "free dining" during our time period (no pin) can you combine the public free dining with a AAA discount? I seem think we did that in 2009, but my memory is failing me. I think we booked through AAA and then later on, took advantage of the free dining.

Last edited by princesslover; 06-16-2013 at 05:51 PM.
princesslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

No. Source of discount doesn't matter: discounts can't be combined.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
( I forgot to put on instant notify to my own thread )
Just so you know for the future: when you click on Thread Tools above the first post on a thread/page, one of the choices in the drop-down menu is "Subscribe to this Thread" .
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
Canadian Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslover View Post
I am so glad someone asked this question!

We are using a pin for free dining. We are also AAA members. I am going to assume that there is no way AAA is going to meet the free dining package, correct?

In any case, we booked our package with our pin for free dining today at WL. Is it worth calling Disney back to see about a room only discount? I am assuming there are only certain rooms available, and we were looking at courtyard view with BB. I'm wondering if we will have to change rooms, etc. and whether it's even worth it to call.

**Also wondering - I know Disney doesn't "combine discounts," but if Disney does a general "free dining" during our time period (no pin) can you combine the public free dining with a AAA discount? I seem think we did that in 2009, but my memory is failing me. I think we booked through AAA and then later on, took advantage of the free dining.
I am pretty sure we booked two trips using the Disney free dining and the CAA discount. If Disney offers a room only deal then you cannot combine it with CAA(AAA) discount however. Each time the trips were booked with the discount and rebooked with the free dining. The last time was August 2012. I don't remember the price going up.

Last edited by Canadian Girl; 06-16-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Canadian Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
karly05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Last January I had a 20% room only discount, at POFQ. Booked directly with Disney.
Same here, I had 20% AAA room only discount at POFQ in February this year. When the Disney discounts came out, POFQ was like 5%, so the AAA discount was better.

In 2012, I had a 20% (I think) AAA room only discount at Beach Club. Disney ended up putting out a 35% discount for BC, lots better!

Just from what I've read on the Disboards, I think the AAA room only discounts vary by season and resort.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
2015 - POFQ - As P&F say: Carpe Diem! 4 Parks in a Day

karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
princesslover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Girl View Post
I am pretty sure we booked two trips using the Disney free dining and the CAA discount. If Disney offers a room only deal then you cannot combine it with CAA(AAA) discount however. Each time the trips were booked with the discount and rebooked with the free dining. The last time was August 2012. I don't remember the price going up.
Yes, it makes sense that you can't use a room only deal with a AAA discount. I know we had the public free dining and the AAA discount before though. I guess if the free dining ever happens, I can ask. The problem is, I'd have to cancel my reservation with Disney and rebook with a AAA travel agent - and I'm sure there is only a small block of rooms and probably not the ones we want. Seems like it may not be worth the hassle.

Perhaps I should just stick with my pin and keep my mouth shut.
princesslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Claudia Kellenberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Just so you know for the future: when you click on Thread Tools above the first post on a thread/page, one of the choices in the drop-down menu is "Subscribe to this Thread" .
Thank You, Thank You - I knew it was in there somewhere!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: