Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #46
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicbic97 View Post
Maybe cost is an issue when people take excessive amounts. If it wasn't, why did they stop providing the body butter?
I think this was only a switch up. I have heard people complain the body butter was to thick and didn't feel it moisturized as well as it could. I really don't feel it was a cost measure but who knows.
as to taking it home, if it was in fact something dcl did not like then the items would be counted and controlled more. the rs would be accountable for what he takes and gives and I have not seen this as yet, they hand it out freely.
I do have a friend who worked for dcl, I wonder if this is a question they could answer for me.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #47
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

They already cut costs when they made the tubes smaller. Over the years they have shrunk to half the size they were when they were first introduced. I cleaned out a storage container that was left over from our move 6 years ago. Inside was a bag of the products they had before the H2O. Seeing Minnie lotion and Daisy shampoo made me smile.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #48
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
I think this was only a switch up. I have heard people complain the body butter was to thick and didn't feel it moisturized as well as it could. I really don't feel it was a cost measure but who knows.
as to taking it home, if it was in fact something dcl did not like then the items would be counted and controlled more. the rs would be accountable for what he takes and gives and I have not seen this as yet, they hand it out freely.
I do have a friend who worked for dcl, I wonder if this is a question they could answer for me.
I think this is accurate; if you look on the H2O+ web site, the body butter and the lotion cost the same - $21.00.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #49
Lexa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
An important point. Bath products are provided for our use onboard; taking full tubes home is....well...taking something that doesn't belong to you. Hurts us all, teaches children that small transgressions are okay, puts the room hosts in an uncomfortable position if you ask them if it is "okay" (as if they have that authority).

Small thing? To some. Use them, enjoy them, and look for them at stores when you return home. We really like them.
A little tube of shampoo, lotion and conditioner in a room of 4...we used them all,almost daily...not belonging to me...well....I paid for my cruise and it was not cheap and I'm sure use of toiletries are included in my price. So i should not use them or take them home to save Disney some money? I'm sure Disney will survive every little tube being taken home. I'm not hoarding them, but I'll admit I took few conditioners and I know Disney as a huge corporation will not go bankrupt because of it.

Aleksandra , Chris , Luke :, Maya

May 7-14 2011 - Our 1st cruise with DCL - Disney Magic to Eastern Caribbean
April 29 -May 14 2012 - Inaugural sailing on Disney Wonder to Hawaii
May 6 - May 20 2013 - Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal

May 1 - May 15 2015 - Another trip on Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal
Old 06-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #50
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
An important point. Bath products are provided for our use onboard; taking full tubes home is....well...taking something that doesn't belong to you. Hurts us all, teaches children that small transgressions are okay, puts the room hosts in an uncomfortable position if you ask them if it is "okay" (as if they have that authority).

Small thing? To some. Use them, enjoy them, and look for them at stores when you return home. We really like them.
this is something i missed the first time around. you really don't think they have the 'authority' to give away a tube of body butter? i'd say they don't have the 'authority' to comp your bar bill but i would certainly think they have the 'authority' to give you a tube of stuff.
every job comes with a what you can and can not do. i think this probably would fall in the line of keep the client happy, we give you the 'authority'.
again, its only my thought. i will be continuing to take some home and not ashamed to say it.

signed, packrat
Old 06-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #51
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Some of these people are hilarious....Disney owns like half of the U.S. so I'm pretty sure they're not sweating the toiletries. Companies give disney their products just to promote them...lighten up people.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #52
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
Disney owns like half of the U.S. so I'm pretty sure they're not sweating the toiletries. Companies give disney their products just to promote them...lighten up people.
I disagree that makes it okay, though. Would someone stop by the room steward's cart and steal some extra toiletries if no one is looking? Is that somehow different for some people? Will Disney go under if a few people steal the cool knives in Animator's Palate? Of course they won't. Doesn't rationalize doing it, though.

Much more important and/or exciting topics to discuss....agree with some other posters. But the OP made a good point, many guests are doing something small but wrong.

Now...my favorite desert by far is chocolate soufflé. Although being able to order Mickey Bars is a tempting secret snack!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #53
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

I didn't read through all the comments, and what i have read is quite comical. For a POSITIVE comment, check out what Disney and the major hotels and even boutiques have contributed to helping hygiene in third-world countries and US areas devastated by natural disasters through Clean the World...a wonderful organization that takes the leftover amenities and soap and recycles through sanitary methods to help make the world healthier by providing hygiene kits.

http://blog.cleantheworld.org/2012/0...isney.html?m=1

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
Old 06-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #54
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

This is by far one of the funniest threads I have ever seen.
We don't hoard the toiletries, but we do take a couple home to remember our cruise. I think we all have a right to because it is included in the price that we paid.

I also find it funny that someone mentioned portions to be used so that everyone in the cabin can use them and not abuse the tubes left in the room or that DCL should only leave one of each daily without giving more out. My hair is below my waist and curly, I need more than one tube to appropriately wash my hair almost every day (if we go to the pool), I guess this means the rest of my family cannot wash their hair if DCL had a strict policy of toiletries. Or maybe I should not go to the pool so that I don't have to wash my hair as often?

As I said we don't hog the toiletries, but I will use what I need to use because as someone mentioned, we paid for it.

This thread made my day!

[

Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #55
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

There is a cost associated with all items in the room and used by people on the ship from water, food to shampoo, and employees to provide the necessary level of service expected on a DCL cruise, and I am sure there are huge dollars budgeted for each item. If profits drop then either fares go up or costs are cut, basic principal of business.

Lots of hotel chains have cut the quantity or quality of in room amenities, to reduce costs and some other cruise lines provide little more than soap in the rooms, those saving them a cost, so one day H20 may be an item that DCL deems as a cost saving reduction with little impact on the guest 's perception of value.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #56
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:

I disagree that makes it okay, though. Would someone stop by the room steward's cart and steal some extra toiletries if no one is looking? Is that somehow different for some people? Will Disney go under if a few people steal the cool knives in Animator's Palate? Of course they won't. Doesn't rationalize doing it, though.

Much more important and/or exciting topics to discuss....agree with some other posters. But the OP made a good point, many guests are doing something small but wrong.

Now...my favorite desert by far is chocolate soufflé. Although being able to order Mickey Bars is a tempting secret snack!
I disagree. I don't see it as wrong. Taking towels? Yes. Shampoo? No.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Old 06-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #57
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePicketts View Post
Maybe we should start a post to stop wasting Coke or they will replace it with a cheap brand
Every cruise we take, I walk around the pool deck and see all the uneaten food left on the plates. If you want to talk about people being wasteful, this would be a bigger issue as far as I am concerned.

And please, limit your consumption of Mickey Bars, we definitely don't want Disney to stop having those!!

Last edited by disney1990; 06-16-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #58
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Seriously? I always take the little shampoos and conditioners from every hotel I stay in. My kid thinks they are cool and as far as I'm concerned, they are free goodies included in one's nightly room rate. If you use them while you are there or take them home, up to you.

Now, as far as Disney goes, I'm sure they are such marketing geniuses that they don't even pay for those things. I bet H2O pays for the privelidge of having their stuff given away on the Disney Cruises. You know they don't pay for the Coke products either, right? Get a grip people, Disney is not suffering because people take the toiletries home with them. And it isn't petty theft. They are part of the price you pay for the cruise.

So, do people think it is "stealing" to get a second dessert or entree at dinner? Do they think people are putting their waiter in an uncomfortable position for asking for such a thing? No, right? Because it is included! Just like the toiletries.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #59
owensjro
DIS Veteran

Shampoo and those kinds of things are called "Complimentary" for a reason.

Once in the room they can not be re-used since there is no tamper-proof seal on them (I just checked the new ones we have from our last cruise and there is none...but that was 2 years ago).

So if they insist on putting new ones in my room each day I will definitely take them. Better I do it than have them throw them away.

Jim
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/17/09
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 12/19/09
Disney Wonder B2B 5N KeyWest/5N DoubleDip - 6/8/10, 6/13/10
Disney Magic 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11
Disney Fantasy B2B 7N Eastern/Western - 6/29/13, 7/6/13
Disney Magic 12N Northern Europe - 7/22/15
Old 06-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #60
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
Maybe Disney considers the pilfered toiletries as marketing materials. I know every time I use the lotion the smell of it makes me want to book another cruise.
This is part of the reason I use my own products while I'm traveling and take the hotel/ship ones home.
A place I stay in Fiji uses the most gorgeous products that smell of coconut milk and tropical flowers. When I'm feeling a bit low, the smell of these products transport me back to my happy place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone is talking about waiting until the room attendant's back is turned and then raiding his/her trolley. That is quite different to taking the products in the room that have been given to you for your use. When you choose to use them is irrelevant. In fact you could argue that you are helping the hotel/ship by taking the plastic wastage (aka bottles) home with you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: