Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
SoonerSean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki21 View Post
3 years ago, my BF and I stayed at Coronado Springs. It was his first ever trip to WDW and it was his 30th birthday!!! We had booked a standard KING room. We checked in and were placed in the casitas section. The CM never saying anything else about our room. So, We grabbed all of our stuff, walked on over and when we walked in, we discovered that we had a suite!

It was 2 rooms. One room had a giant living area with couch, chairs, coffee table, a large TV, a large round table (dining) with 4 chairs, and a bathroom with seperate toilet, shower/tub. The second room (seperated by giant sliding doors) was the master bedroom. This was similar to the standard room i had stayed in before - king bed, couch, table chairs and a large bathroom.

It was very unexpexted and a great surprise. Especially since this was darling BF's first ever trip to the world. Except now he thinks all "standard" rooms are this gigantic
Same thing happened to my youngest son and I. I've taken each of our kids for a long weekend with Dad. His time came up in 2011 and we went for a Star Wars Weekend. I booked a two-doubles room for us. We opened the door and came into a living room with couch/tv/bathroom and then through the connecting door was a king bed with it's own bath. He loved it - felt like he had his own room and slept on the couch the four nights we were there. To this day he tells people he and I went to Disney and had separate rooms.

One other trip as a family we were upgraded to the concierge floor at CR. We didn't see another soul for a week. I think that was March of 2009. We came out near the end of our stay and sat on the balcony watching the fireworks and my wife started poking my arm and pointed to the side and not 5' away was Celine Dion and her family. The CM that sits at the desk by the elevators told us our two families were their only guests at the time. We never saw them again.
SoonerSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

So there seems to be a theme here. Most if not all of these unexpected upgrades coincided with celebrations. Has anyone had pixie dust on a non celebration trip?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle
So there seems to be a theme here. Most if not all of these unexpected upgrades coincided with celebrations. Has anyone had pixie dust on a non celebration trip?
My experience is the other way around. We have gone for our anniversary the past 3 years, always had it noted as a celebration and even got a pin and a signed "happy anniversary" picture from Mickey, but we have yet to be dusted with pixie dust. This year we'll be on the Dream, 1st DCL experience, so maybe then. Who knows, I don't expect it and am still just as happy without it!!!
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
Wishes Count
DIS Veteran

I used to work front desk at Pop. Most upgrades will be based on operational needs or because the resort has been overbooked.

One time I pulled up a reservation and it said "Don't check in!! Call back office!!" So I call the back and the told me to ask the guest if they wanted a free upgrade to AKL for the entire length of their stay!! Of course the guests were thrilled!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
evilqueenmindy
Mouseketeer

Last year, Super Bowl weekend, I was working half a day and meeting my sisters & nephew, I'm the Disney planning-nerd of the group, none of them knew upgrades even happened, I've never mentioned it. We booked 2 garden view rooms at Beach Club.

Because I was working, I came in a separate car from everyone else, when I got on property, I text them, they say they just got there, they'll text me the room number. I get to the hotel, still have no text. I'm annoyed. I see their cars in the porte-cochere, tell the greeter my party is checking in. . .walk all over the lobby, cannot find them. Texts all completely unanswered. Now I have NO idea what is going on, so I start calling around. . .the THIRD one I call finally answers "Hey, where are you guys??"
"Uuuuum, we don't really know, something weird has happened, they're making us check in up here at some desk on the 4th floor. We don't know what's going on."
I almost scream at my sister on the phone "DESK?? 4th floor?? We got UPGRADED TO CLUB LEVEL??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???"
She still has ZERO clue what this means "Yeah, I have no idea what's going on. Apparently they have breakfast up here though."
No one had ANY idea how big a deal this was. (until I finally got up there and explained it)
It was AMAZING, we didn't just get concierge level, we got the most amazing view of Boardwalk and Stormalong Bay, it was pixie dust and a half.
evilqueenmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #21
chasgoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskermit View Post

did they know it was his birthday and first trip?? I'm just wondering how they pick and chose to upgrade. I always wonder as I go on the endless conversations with the reservation people on the phone are they noting my reservation??? uggghhh .. I need some pixie dust this trip !!!
Yeah upgrades typically only happen because the resort is overbooked/rooms are taken out of inventory. They upgrade you because they don't have a room in the category you booked available when you check in and it's easier to put you in a better room category than move things around. Occasionally for really special occasions they might upgrade, but even then there's probably an inventory issue behind it. Birthdays and first trips aren't special enough (even together) to get you an upgrade out of the blue.
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
White Rose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasgoose View Post
Yeah upgrades typically only happen because the resort is overbooked/rooms are taken out of inventory. They upgrade you because they don't have a room in the category you booked available when you check in and it's easier to put you in a better room category than move things around. Occasionally for really special occasions they might upgrade, but even then there's probably an inventory issue behind it. Birthdays and first trips aren't special enough (even together) to get you an upgrade out of the blue.
We never got a suite upgrade but our last trip was for our 5th anniversary and we were platinum and got upgraded to CL. it was early oct, very slow at the poly. it was 2008.
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
chasgoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rose View Post

We never got a suite upgrade but our last trip was for our 5th anniversary and we were platinum and got upgraded to CL. it was early oct, very slow at the poly. it was 2008.
People staying on the platinum plan may be the one exception to my rule. CM's do have the power to upgrade occasionally at their discretion, and given that people on the Platinum Plan are paying a lot more money than people on RO/normal packages, I could see them upgrading someone if the resort wasn't very booked, especially if there was also a special occasion attached. My point above was mainly that birthdays/1st visits aren't rare enough for a CM to typically use a discretionary upgrade. Platinum plan combined with low occupancy may push you over the edge. Also, there is a much bigger difference in cost from an LM room to a suite at AoA than there is from a regular room at the Poly to a CL room.

To the poster I responded to first, I will say that the fact that the AoA LM rooms are almost always completely booked will work in your favor. You may get lucky and they might need to upgrade you. But if you are really worried about needing the extra space and you can afford a room at a moderate, I would switch to guarantee that you have it.
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
lov2b@disney
DIS Veteran

We got upgraded from a GF sugarloaf CL room to a 2 bedroom suite in RPC.. We were in shock it was awesome!! No celebration... Just a great upgrade!

When we got married at disney... No room upgrade...

lov2b@disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #25
amccu18007
DIS Veteran

We were booked at the YC in a standard room. We go to check in and they took us to concierge level. We asked them what was going on since we only had reserved a standard room and they said we were upgrade. They upgraded us to the PRESIDENTIAL SUITE!!! We could not believe it! Our trip was short and we had no children so I think that this worked in our favor. We were also celebrating our anniversary (which is in December but we celebrate it in October since it is less busy..lol). Major pixie dust! We had a fabulous trip and even if we are never again upgraded, we will always be thankful! The CL crew was awesome too. They really go out of their way to make your trip wonderful.
March 11-19, 2009 CSR,March 10-18, 2010 POLY March 2-10,2011 BEACH CLUB, October 23-29,2011 BEACH CLUB March 13-22,2012 Offsite, October 3-6 2012 YACHT CLUB- Presidential suite!!! Whoo-hoo!! October 1-8 2013 POR (First trip for my parents!)June 23-27, 2014 CONTEMPORARY, Oct 17-24, 2014 Orange Lake, Oct 16-23, 2015 BEACH CLUB
amccu18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
NOLA_Tink
NOLA_Tink

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskermit View Post
wow so i am going in august, LM at AOA 4 adults and one 2 year old. it is a surprise trip for my daughters graduation. since we went last year, funding for this year was tight, so were decided on AOA. my daughter is also handicap. I am so worried we may be squished up in a LM room, there is hope to get an upgrade if I ask and maybe because we are celebrating her graduation?? ugh,, it would be an absolute gift from heaven with pixie dust scatter all over it!!! what are my chances ??
Your chances of getting upgraded aren't great, but sometimes we need to make our own pixie dust. Realistically, if you really want the suites (or more space) you should just pay for the upgrade. I've read several stories of people with LM rooms wanting an upgrade (because of elderly guests, limited mobility issues, kids in strollers, handicapped family members, etc.) at check-in only to be disappointed. Plus, I think the front desk hears it several times a day, so they've heard it all by now. (No one can stop you from hoping, but try to be realistic so you're not disappointed.)

As for your concerns about space with your handicapped daughter, there are specific handicap accessible rooms available at AoA. One of those would prob better suit your needs over a regular room.
WDW 1983 • Disneyland 1987 • WDW 1990 • Contemporary Resort 1997 • Dixie Landings (POR) 2000 • Magic Kingdom 2003 • Pop Century 2004 • Easter in WDW 2005 • AS Sports Feb 2006 • ASMusic Family Suite Nov 2006 • AS Sports 2007 • Animal Kingdom Lodge June 2008 • F & W Festival Oct 2008 • Discovery Cove/ ASMoviesDec 2008 • POP March 2009 • Very Merry Un-Unbirthday in Disney July 2009 • Pop Century Dec 2009• Caribbean Beach Resort May 2010 • Polynesian Nov 2010 • Disneyland March 2011 • POP Oct 2011 • The Dolphin May 2012 • Disneyland June 2012 • CBR Oct 2012 • Art of Animation June 2013 • Ft. Wilderness Cabins March 2015
NOLA_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #27
D&R love Disney
DIS Veteran

Over the years we've had a few nice upgrades. First was checking in at WL for a courtyard view and we were upgraded to concierge. That spoiled us and had us booking CL on other trips. Next was a water view at BC and ended up with a one bedroom suite. Last we booked WL and got asked at check in if we wanted to move to GF. We took it and had a lovely water view there.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #28
tlpbupu
Mouseketeer

Some friends of mine had some pixie dust sprinkled on them one trip. They were booked at a value resort (POP I think?) and when they checked in were told that they were overbooked. They were given the choice of where to stay as long as their was a room available. They choose AKL. Not only did they get a deluxe resort but when they got to their room it was a savannah view!

Off site: 1991, 2001
ASMo; 2003, 2010
Pop: 2013

tlpbupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #29
tuckerkeys
official cookie taster

We got 2 upgrades on my past trip May 2012!

1st was at AKL, standard view to savannah! This was excellent! Did not ask, the lady at check in said we'd be in for a surprise!

2nd was standard at dolphin to alcove room ( mini suite ) soooo nice to have all that extra room, plus mini bar & plenty of huge closet space! I am an spg member, and spg policy says that if there is room, an upgrade is almost always done for members - very nice!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #30
karenklo
DIS Veteran

We got upgraded at the Poly. We had CL garden view, but when checked in and got to the room I realized it was on the wrong side of the building. I was practically jumping up and down as we went thru the door! WE got a great theme park view. The castle was looked straight across from us! My husband thought I was nuts until he came out on the balcony and saw our view!! It was nice because our boys were little and we could watch fireworks from the balcony in our PJs!! No celebration either-just luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: