Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Phillipa Gregory

Is anyone going to read Phillipa Gregory's book The white Princess because I was caught by the high ick factor of the book

The White Princess opens as the news of the battle of Bosworth is brought to Princess Elizabeth of York, who will learn not only which rival royal house has triumphed, Tudor or York, but also which suitor she must marry: Richard III her lover, or Henry Tudor her enemy.

Richard III as her lover when he was in fact her uncle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.philippagregory.com/books/the-white-princess

Last edited by PaulaSB12; 06-14-2013 at 01:13 PM.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
ShirikiUtundu
Mouseketeer

No, but I'm considering watching The White Queen, which premieres on Starz this August. The promos look intriguing.
ShirikiUtundu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
mrsv98
Gracie's Mama
Loves those slider bags
Beware the Tails of Doom!
I couldn't believe the weeny little turkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
Is anyone going to read Phillipa Gregory's book The white Princess because I was caught by the high ick factor of the book

The White Princess opens as the news of the battle of Bosworth is brought to Princess Elizabeth of York, who will learn not only which rival royal house has triumphed, Tudor or York, but also which suitor she must marry: Richard III her lover, or Henry Tudor her enemy.

Richard III as her lover when he was in fact her uncle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.philippagregory.com/books/the-white-princess
I have not read that one but I agree her ick factor can be way too much. I read and like The Other Boylen Girl so I tried a couple of her other books and could not finish either one, too much incest and unlikable characters in general.

OTOH, I was listening to BBC Radio 2 yesterday and they had the stars of The White Queen on, the show sounds interesting and I think I will add it to the DVR queue.
mrsv98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I don't think familial dalliances/marriages were too uncommon back then among royalty.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

I don't see the incest as much of an ick factor in these books because it was completely normal for the aristocracy in those times. Yes, it gross, but certainly nothing that would stop me from reading a book. Gregory's Wideacre trilogy has incest between siblings and I still thoroughly enjoyed those books.

I love Philippa Gregory books, but I haven't been too thrilled with the Cousins War series. I read The White Queen and The Red Queen but they were just OK, so I'm not sure if I will be checking out The White Princess. I own The Lady of The Rivers but haven't read it yet.

My favorite Gregory books are The Queen's Fool and The Wise Woman.
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Laura66
DIS Veteran

You live in the UK right? Marriage alliances of that type were commonplace in royal families for hundreds of years!
I've read all her books and am a history buff! I can't wait for the series to come to the States in August!!!
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

I read The Other Bolyen years ago. If I remember correctly, the girl was sleeping with her brother and had a mutant baby.

I read The White Queen in April or May.
It seems marrying family was not uncommon. It also seems there are a lot of marriages and deaths and remarrying, so while they may be family, they aren't always blood family. It also appears the majority of marriages are political, to further the family alliances, and taking a lover is common.

I can't remember if Richard is really her uncle or not. I do remember from The White Queen that her (white queen's) mother in law favored certain sons and said her son that was king was a *******. I believe that was because she wanted a different son crowned king.

Anyway. It's fiction.
And still shelves upon shelves above 50 Shades of Grey.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura66 View Post
You live in the UK right? Marriage alliances of that type were commonplace in royal families for hundreds of years!
I've read all her books and am a history buff! I can't wait for the series to come to the States in August!!!
Cousins yet uncle and niece no!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
Cousins yet uncle and niece no!
So are you really that sensitive about the subject that you would avoid reading a book by an author that you like. I mean, I know everyone has their limits/fears/phobias and such, but I don't think the author is being overly inaccurate in what may have gone on during that time (historical fiction, notwithstanding). I have to ask if you really sensor things that much because it is offensive what people may have done way back in history.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Don't read anything about the Egyptian pharaohs! Dads married and slept with their daughters. Sisters and brothers married and slept together too.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
mom2girls1974
Mouseketeer

She is one of my favorite author's I suspect (though could have missed one) you mean The White Queen, it is part of a trilogy. I loved it, but have only ever not liked her first books, the Wild acre (sp?) trilogy.
Her books are very accurate, and full of British history -like others have said. I love history, especially the Tudor period.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2girls1974 View Post
Her books are very accurate, and full of British history -like others have said. I love history, especially the Tudor period.
I really enjoy her books, but they are pretty far from accurate. Still very enjoyable, though.
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2girls1974 View Post
She is one of my favorite author's I suspect (though could have missed one) you mean The White Queen, it is part of a trilogy. I loved it, but have only ever not liked her first books, the Wild acre (sp?) trilogy.
Phillipa Gregory is one of my favorites too. The White Princess will be released next month. I can't wait!
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #14
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

I wanted to pop back on this thread and suggest Anita Diamant. I read The Red Tent years ago and last month read Day After Night. They are also historical/biographical fiction and an easier read. Sometimes I get confused reading Phillipa Gregory, especially with repeating names and who is related to or hates who, etc.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
So are you really that sensitive about the subject that you would avoid reading a book by an author that you like. I mean, I know everyone has their limits/fears/phobias and such, but I don't think the author is being overly inaccurate in what may have gone on during that time (historical fiction, notwithstanding). I have to ask if you really sensor things that much because it is offensive what people may have done way back in history.
I find that she fails in her books because she is writing from to much of a modern slant (plus she really isn't very accurate at all). She has taken rumours that even in these times where proved wrong to write modern books. In the film the other boleyn girl her sister begs for her life. Mary didn't nor would she have done anything that stupid as her neck would have been next.

http://thecreationofanneboleyn.wordp...-fact-checker/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: