Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
disneyworldfamily
Mouseketeer

Travel Insurance

Do you get it? Who do you get it with? And what type of coverage do you get?

I thought that we had travel coverage through DH's employer, but I was wrong. So I need to look into this.

Any info advice is appreciated. Thanks!
disneyworldfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

We got a decent rate and a comfortable amount of coverage through Desjardins Financial for our Christmas trip.

Manulife offers a good policy if you need to be underwritten for any reason (pre-existing conditions you want to ensure are covered).

CAA offers travel insurance if you are a member. American Express has a travel insurance program as well. We have also purchased travel coverage through the Royal Bank in the past.

We just recently upgraded to a new Visa card which offers travel insurance (medical, trip cancellation and trip interruption) so that's what we are using this trip.

We tend to travel either during the winter or during hurricane season, so we always get the emergency medical plus the trip cancellation and interruption coverage. It might be kind of pricey, but it helps me to sleep better at night!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
abdmom
DIS Veteran

I was able to get travel insurance through my bank. Full year for the whole family was $140.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

I have health insurance through my work benefits. For trip insurance I pay a fee on my mastercard.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Kogo Shuko
DIS Veteran

I always get my travel insurance through CIBC as I have a VISA with them. It's never cost more than 30 bucks for the entire trip, which is nice.

They can get it to you quicker than my actual insurance company (Johnson's Insurance), so I always tend to go with them.

me (28): ~*~ J (32): ~*~ E (7): ~*~ Jax:
~*~ 1992-1993 – Offsite ~*~ 1995-1996 – Offsite ~*~ 2009 – Scotland ~*~ 2010 – Newfoundland ~*~ 2010-2011 – Offsite ~*~ October 2011 - Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Feb 2012 – Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Oct 2012 – Carnival Cruise/Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Sept 2013 - Sanibel/Vistana/Leesburg ~*~ April 2014 - Houston, Texas ~*~ August 2014 - Rochester, NY ~*~

Kogo Shuko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

As retirees, DH and I were able to get annual travel insurance to top up the existing out-of-province medical insurance we have as part of our retirement benefits. Just saying, you might want to look at the fine print on your existing policies and see if you can top them up or add on travel insurance. For the entire year for the two of us, the cost is less than $200, which is less than I have paid to ensure one 10 day trip through RBC.

Last edited by Gigi22; 06-14-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added info.
Gigi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
JenluvsDisney
Mouseketeer

We use Sanderson Travel (1-877-226-8728). We usually go for about 10 days and coverage for our family of 4 is usually less than $50. You can make all the arrangements over the phone and they'll e-mail you the forms that same day if you're in a hurry or they can send by fax or snail mail if preferred.

We had to use the insurance once when my son needed to see a doctor for an ear infection and had no hassles or issues at all.

Usually when I phone the toll free number I get a message to leave my name and phone number. I've always gotten a return phone call that same day (and usually within the hour of leaving my message).
JenluvsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
CerysG
Mouseketeer

CAA has it and we got it through them last time but its crazy expensive...something like $700!!! This time I'm getting it through my mastercard and its $80! Don't know what you get that's so much better for the price at CAA but I don't think I need more then what I'm getting through Mastercard. DH and I both have health through out work but that's something I would never go to the US without. You can also get medical through CAA and its not a bad price for that. I think places like Blue Cross and the like also carry travel medical insurance.
CerysG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenluvsDisney View Post
We use Sanderson Travel (1-877-226-8728). We usually go for about 10 days and coverage for our family of 4 is usually less than $50. You can make all the arrangements over the phone and they'll e-mail you the forms that same day if you're in a hurry or they can send by fax or snail mail if preferred.

We had to use the insurance once when my son needed to see a doctor for an ear infection and had no hassles or issues at all.

Usually when I phone the toll free number I get a message to leave my name and phone number. I've always gotten a return phone call that same day (and usually within the hour of leaving my message).
This must be for medical insurance coverage only. I just ran a quote with the company you referenced that included trip cancellation and interruption and its $560 . And our family has one less person and one less day's duration.

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 06-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Manateemum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworldfamily View Post
Do you get it? Who do you get it with? And what type of coverage do you get?

I thought that we had travel coverage through DH's employer, but I was wrong. So I need to look into this.

Any info advice is appreciated. Thanks!
We have international health coverage for the family through my husbands work. However, when we went to Florida in Feb, I wanted trip cancellation/interruption in case of weather, illness, etc, as the package we bought was completely non- refundable. The best price I found was from RBC insurance. It was just under $300 for 4 of us.
Manateemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Mickey1Fan
He had five fingers and was wearing white gloves

We always use RBC.

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Dreams Take Flight Group Leader 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
http://yyz.dreamstakeflight.ca/
Mickey1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey1Fan View Post
We always use RBC.

I'm another fan of RBC. Use them for yearly coverage, so don't have to pay per trip.

I had to use their coverage for my last trip, and they were wonderful to deal with! Very helpful and accomodating.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
disneyworldfamily
Mouseketeer

For those who have said they are paying less than $100, that is just either medical or trip cancellation and not both, right? I'd be looking at getting both since we are traveling during hurricane season.

What is a decent price for both? 2 adults, 2 kids, no medical issues.

Last edited by disneyworldfamily; 06-14-2013 at 06:36 PM.
disneyworldfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworldfamily View Post
For those who have said they are paying less than $100, that is just either medical or trip cancellation and not both, right? I'd be looking at getting both since we are traveling during hurricane season.

What is a decent price for both? 2 adults, 2 kids, no medical issues.
Try Desjardins. Our rate was about $250 for our family of 3 for our Christmas trip.

I just ran a quote based on our dates for this August, and again it came up at $250 (that's out of country health care + trip cancellation & interruption).

http://www.desjardins.com/en/particu...yage/index.jsp

24/7 Assistance Service INCLUDED
Emergency Health Care $5,000,000 per traveller
Bggages $1,500 per traveller
Accident while aboard an aircraft $500,000 per traveller (loss of use or death)
Accident while travelling $100,000 per traveller (loss of use or death)
Cancellation / Interruption
Traveller 1 (age 42) $1,000*
Traveller 2 (age 39) $1,000*
Traveller 3 (age 17) $1,000*

Your price for this trip
$250.52 Total price (including applicable taxes)

We liked this particular company as the emergency health care maximum is $5 million.

Your rates will be different, of course, based on your ages, the # of people in your family, the length of your trip, and the cancellation/interruption values for each family member.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
abdmom
DIS Veteran

For my $140 per year through Meloche Monnex, my family gets both trip cancellation and medical insurance.

Unlimited trips of up to 60 days outside your home province for clients age 59 or under.
Unlimited trips of up to 30 days outside your home province for clients age 60 or over (can be extended).

Hospital and medical expenses covered for up to $5 million.

This coverage includes:

Emergency Air Evacuation
Diagnostic & Paramedical Services
Prescriptions.

No age limit, no medical questionnaire.
Free international assistance, 24 / 7.
Trip cancellation for medical reasons, unforeseen work transfer, involuntary loss of permanent employment, or because trip destination becomes uninhabitable: up to $2,500 per insured / $5,000 per family.
Trip interruption, up to $5,000 per insured.
Treatment of dental accidents, up to $5,000.
Child care benefit in case of hospitalization, up to $2,500.
Transportation and assistance in the event of claims to your vehicle or home insured through TD Insurance Meloche Monnex: up to $5,000.
Incidental expenses while hospitalized (e.g. phone, TV fees): up to $50 per day, maximum of $1,250.
Transportation to bedside (1 person): up to $5,000.
Return of a deceased person, up to $10,000.
Exclusions for pre-existing medical condition.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: