Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #181
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran
 
MAGICFOR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,802

I'm glad you finally got settled in and got in vacation mode! It is so frustrating to have details to deal with when you're ready to get your pool on! Beautiful view! That was definitely worth moving for!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #182
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.
 
Pinkocto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 7,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
It's pricey from the east but if you are somewhere where there might be deals to LA, SFO, SEA or PDX then sometimes you can work multiple legs having the HI roundtrip out of one of those locations and bring the overall cost down.
Thank for all the tips! I'm really close to BWI which is a major hub, so will have to remember to be creative when looking at flights.

After some serious thinking and looking at the points charts again I've decided to stay with the 2015 plan. I really want a 1BR Oceanview, and for that I need to wait a little bit. I'm also going to do off season to save on flights.
__________________
-Pam

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #183
GoofyFan1515
DIS Veteran
 
GoofyFan1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
However, this one was much prettier! And was tasty too!

Interesting bit of research on the history of the Mai Tai. This one looks a lot more like the one I had upon arrival when I was there, except it was in a tumbler sized glass, so a little larger.........and quite potent!!!
GoofyFan1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #184
goterps1986
Mouseketeer
 
goterps1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 186

I didn't know you could email your room request to member services. I called them last month. Do you think it's better to email and maybe I should add 10th floor or higher instead of just high floor? And why did you request specific/even numbers?

We have a car and are heading to Pearl Harbor one of the days. Do you have any recommendations for eating places close by or anything else that's must see? Thanks!
__________________
goterps1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #185
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 23,967

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
We are lucky to have a lot of good choices from here for direct, but I was thrilled to be on Alaska both for miles and service. Last couple of trips we've been on United with a layover in LAX or SFO based on price and direct is just so much nicer when it works out!



Very good question as it really originated in California! Blame it on Elvis?

According to good old Wikipedia....

History
It was purportedly invented at the Trader Vic's restaurant in Oakland, California, in 1944. Trader Vic's rival, Don the Beachcomber, claimed to have created it in 1933 at his then-new bar named for himself (later a famous restaurant) in Hollywood. Don the Beachcomber's recipe is more complex than that of Vic's and tastes quite different.
"Maita'i" is the Tahitian word for "good"; but the drink is spelled as two words, sometimes hyphenated or capitalized.
The Trader Vic story of its invention is that the Trader (Victor J. Bergeron) created it one afternoon for some friends who were visiting from Tahiti. One of those friends, Carrie Guild, tasted it and cried out: "Maita'i roa ae!" (Literally "very good!", figuratively "Out of this world! The Best!") — hence the name.

Recipe
There are many recipes for Mai Tais. Eleven of them, including three different versions of Trader Vic's, as well as the recipe of Don the Beachcomber, can be found at Wikibooks Mai Tai.

Culture
The Mai Tai became such a popular cocktail in the 1950s and '60s that many restaurants, particularly tiki-themed restaurants or bars, served them. The Mai Tai was also prominently featured in the Elvis Presley film Blue Hawaii.

Today, the Mai Tai is synonymous with Tiki culture both past and present.
As of 2008, Trader Vic's Restaurant chain began to open small establishments called Mai Tai Bars that primarily serve cocktails and pupus (appetizers).


I will say from personal experience the Don the Beachcombers version is MUCH better. When we were on the big island in 2011 on our last Hawaii couples trip, we did compare many mai tais and this was my favorite



However, this one was much prettier! And was tasty too!





Gotta love happy hour in Hawaii. I do like them but as we made rum/juice drinks out of the room, it isn't what I chose to order when we went out this time around.





It's a lovely lei.

Coffee.



Yes, for a man concerned that Aulani would be too Disney, to voluntarily choose a character buffet...



It is a stunning resort, just lovely.



The upsell was supremely annoying! We really liked the buffet. It is pricey but I am glad we did it. Not any worse than WDW ones..or really any Hawaii resort buffet I guess. We loved our room.





Both look incredible that's for sure. My mouth is watering.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS12 Riley Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #186
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Cynthia, I am finally caught up again.

Now, your second room and view are just awesome and the photo of you and Jeff in the lazy river is great.

Can't wait to read more!
Thanks Karin! We LOVED our room and oh that Lazy River...Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I'm glad you finally got settled in and got in vacation mode! It is so frustrating to have details to deal with when you're ready to get your pool on! Beautiful view! That was definitely worth moving for!
Definitely worth moving for!!!!!!!! The first day always seems to have some of those kinds of details, as does moving day so at least it was all at once right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Thank for all the tips! I'm really close to BWI which is a major hub, so will have to remember to be creative when looking at flights.

After some serious thinking and looking at the points charts again I've decided to stay with the 2015 plan. I really want a 1BR Oceanview, and for that I need to wait a little bit. I'm also going to do off season to save on flights.
That's a good plan and is what we are hoping to do for the next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goterps1986 View Post
I didn't know you could email your room request to member services. I called them last month. Do you think it's better to email and maybe I should add 10th floor or higher instead of just high floor? And why did you request specific/even numbers?
I like to email as I can be super specific. When you call they will not enter it that specifically but will generalize it to match the options you see when you check in online. High floor is probably sufficient though and I almost left it at that. What isn't clear is if the online check in options override. When I checked in for our first night it showed a drop down for room request but then there were no options. Once I completed the check in and looked back it showed "room near lobby" so it appeared that my request did override the online option instead of the reverse but I've no idea if that is true or not and I didn't want to risk it with online check in for the OV. No clue how it will work at WDW with the whole my magic thing as I think that may force the 60 day check in to be able to use it but too early to know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goterps1986 View Post
We have a car and are heading to Pearl Harbor one of the days. Do you have any recommendations for eating places close by or anything else that's must see? Thanks!
We did not to go Pearl, having both been there before. I did find a brewpub nearby it that got great reviews and we considered going to, I will dig that up as I still have the info. Not sure what is right around it eating wise. What else are you planning? Our trip was pretty heavy on the outdoors activities as you will see, versus cultural or historical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Both look incredible that's for sure. My mouth is watering.
Mine too. Well not really, it's a bit early in the day for it but they are pretty aren't they!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #187
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 23,967

It's 12:30 here friend, not too early at all. Too bad I've got oodles of stuff to do after work today. Joshua has an MD appt (allergies), oil change, scrimmage for soccer, garden, blah blah.....but it's gorgeous out so I don't mind at all.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS12 Riley Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #188
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
It's 12:30 here friend, not too early at all. Too bad I've got oodles of stuff to do after work today. Joshua has an MD appt (allergies), oil change, scrimmage for soccer, garden, blah blah.....but it's gorgeous out so I don't mind at all.
4:30 here, almost time and after a supremely depressing day it sure looks good.

Sigh.

Hopefully a good workout will snap me out of it. This allergy stuff is depressing. I hope Josh's appointment went well.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #189
Nora03
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 150

Hi Cynthia
I hope your depressing day was nothing more than lousy weather, and that everything is okay.

Those Mai Tai's look so good. Wish I liked dark rum. I do like light rum and discovered spiced rum lately. It's yummy and tastes like egg nog!

Hoping for more trip report soon when you get time to post.

Nora
Nora03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #190
Poolrat
DIS Veteran
 
Poolrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 8,487

Yes I hope your depressing day is not serious.

Wonderful Mai Tais and love a good one.

Good to hear about the PP around the resort. Nothing better than the lazy river, all caught up for now but this week is going to be a killer.
__________________
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #191
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 23,967

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

4:30 here, almost time and after a supremely depressing day it sure looks good.

Sigh.

Hopefully a good workout will snap me out of it. This allergy stuff is depressing. I hope Josh's appointment went well.
Hope everything is ok friend.


The doctor gave Joshua a mild nasal spray. It seems to work ok, nothing miraculous.


Happy Father's Day to Jeff.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS12 Riley Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #192
goterps1986
Mouseketeer
 
goterps1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 186

Thanks for all the great info!

What was the name of the brewpub-Aloha Brewing Co or Kona maybe? I'm always up for a good brewpub!

We are also driving to the north shore and making a few stops-shrimp truck, shaved ice, turtle beach? etc.

If we don't get in until 6 PM or so, is it better to do the online reservation? I wasn't going to but since we get in so late, will we only get what's left?
__________________
goterps1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #193
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran
 
tinacaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 3,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Tina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Aloha and my friend! I am so happy to have you here, you've been missed.
Awww..thanks! I missed all of you, too!

Wow...Aulani is gorgeous. It does look an awful lot like AKL, but I suppose that's to be expected given that it is the same architect. And I love it....an updated Poly!

And, oh, man...that lazy river! The pool makes my beloved Storm Along Bay look like nothing! Amazing!
__________________
CSR - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
BC - 2011, 2012
POLY - 2012
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #194
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora03 View Post
Hi Cynthia
I hope your depressing day was nothing more than lousy weather, and that everything is okay.
Everything is ok, just having a pity party for myself lol!

Contact allergies acting up and no real solutions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora03 View Post
Those Mai Tai's look so good. Wish I liked dark rum. I do like light rum and discovered spiced rum lately. It's yummy and tastes like egg nog!

Hoping for more trip report soon when you get time to post.

Nora
I love coconut rum! Yes, I will have an update soon. Crazy busy, kids are still in school and between end of year stuff, work, fathers day and allergy complications...I'm behind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Yes I hope your depressing day is not serious.
Oh it's more trying to move out of grief into acceptance phase regarding my contact allergies. They are deeper and more complicated than I realized and it's a pricey, depressing situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Wonderful Mai Tais and love a good one.

Good to hear about the PP around the resort. Nothing better than the lazy river, all caught up for now but this week is going to be a killer.
That's my week and weekend, yowza! Won't get better till next week but I will get an update up this week I promise!


Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Hope everything is ok friend.


The doctor gave Joshua a mild nasal spray. It seems to work ok, nothing miraculous.
K's have been nasty. My seasonal ones are medium right now, it's the contact allergy that's the issue. Or really, the issue is my slowly truly realizing the depth of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Happy Father's Day to Jeff.
I hope M had a great one! Jeff did, it was a lovely day all around, I even got pictures!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goterps1986 View Post
Thanks for all the great info!

What was the name of the brewpub-Aloha Brewing Co or Kona maybe? I'm always up for a good brewpub!
Kona is over near Koko Head so not remotely near Pearl but it is super yummy!

"Real, a Gastropub" was one of them and the other one is Aloha Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goterps1986 View Post
We are also driving to the north shore and making a few stops-shrimp truck, shaved ice, turtle beach? etc.

If we don't get in until 6 PM or so, is it better to do the online reservation? I wasn't going to but since we get in so late, will we only get what's left?
Jeff isn't big on shrimp and me, well, they are ok but super messy that way so we skipped the shrimp truck. Same thing with shaved ice, not really our thing. We did hit a Mexican place we really liked on the Northshore.

With a 6pm arrival you may have a better chance at your request with online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Awww..thanks! I missed all of you, too!

Wow...Aulani is gorgeous. It does look an awful lot like AKL, but I suppose that's to be expected given that it is the same architect. And I love it....an updated Poly!

And, oh, man...that lazy river! The pool makes my beloved Storm Along Bay look like nothing! Amazing!
We both liked Aulani's Valley a lot better than SAB but then again, we were there without kids. You could lose your kids just as easily as you could at SAB. The river is better that's for sure, actual pool SAB might have the edge..I do love that sand bottom and the "swirly" part!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #195
GoofyFan1515
DIS Veteran
 
GoofyFan1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 561

Sorry to hear about your allergy issues! Apparently I had some unknown ones myself last week that knocked me down for two or three days!

Feeling better now.......hope you are too!!!
GoofyFan1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aulani, dvc, ka'ena, koko head



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: