Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
honeybunches
That sounds like a cat poster, but it's true

We travel light since extra baggage costs more. We pack enough clothes for half the trip. Midweek whiile the kids are swimming I do a couple of loads of laundry. It cuts down on a lot of our clutter.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
SwimChicSQ
Earning My Ears

I go to scifi cons. So I'm used to four-six in a room

The first things I would tell everyone is pair down what you are taking if possible. Try carry-on sized luggage for anything shorter than 8 days, laundry is always doable and gives everyone a bit of time to relax

Pack each outfit in a ziploc bag for children(adults if the clothes fit); then you place each person in a stack pull it out wear it fold it back up and put away.

Put your bags inside each other once empty and this can free up a lot of room and floor space
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

So many great ideas on this thread! Love the sponge idea! We use the packing cubes from eBags to separate each person's cloths and separate day cloths from pajamas and I bundle outfits by day with ribbon (although I may switch to zip locks). This makes it easy to live out of a suit case. I like the over the door hanger idea though. I have a lot to think about for our next trip
MeeskaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #19
Dannek
So many roads to ease my soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyjade View Post
Loving these ideas, can't wait to hear more!

So the moral of this story is DO NOT use the drawers to put clean clothes in, since that's where everyone keeps their dirty underwear and sweaty socks?!
Check. Bring rolled up drawer liners and place in dressers. Cheap and can be thrown out at the end of the trip.

Quote:
That's like using the ice buckets for ice...when in reality it seems to be the "puke bucket" for sick kids!
Check. Bring small wastebasket garbage bags and line the bucket.

And along your line of thinking...
Enjoy the area around the pool but don't swim in it since it's the common urinal for the children at the resort...:
Dannek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
Nuts for Disney
Earning My Ears

I put a large trash bag in our luggage for our dirty clothes. It gets filled up during our stay and I put it back in the empty suitcase to take home. When I get home I just have to take the bag out and put it in the laundry room for washing.
Nuts for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Clean clothes go in the drawer, dirty ones back in the suitcase. The suitcases are packed away in the closet. Skin care and makeup and toothbrushes are packed up every morning, beds are made etc. I hate a messy room. I am always appalled at my sister in laws room...suitcases open everywhere, dirty and clean clothes all mixed up, beds a disaster, food crumbs left on the floor. Yuck! I also have a few dinners frozen and ready for when we come home. Yea I'm a control freak at times

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

I am very unorganized, the only thing I got down is the "beach/pool" and "everything else" tote. These i keep hung up on the pegs. In the pool bag i keep pool toys and sunscreen, flip flops. Everything else tote is for all,the misc crap ( extra sunglasses, batteries, pens, paperwork, mugs, hats, purses etc).

The only thing I really need to work on are shoes. Thinking about a huge plastic tote for,that. Too many for the floor.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #23
Tink3rbell86
Mouseketeer

Love this thread I want to hear more!

We always bring the shoe organizer with us its a great place to keep misc things that you don't want to just leave on the counters or dressers. ours is double sided so on the other side we actually keep our shoes helps keep clutter off the floor!

7 trips and counting
Me DH , DD3 & DS9months

t-33days til our next disney world trip. No better time to write my first PTR:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3159886

Returning to the world September 21-30th staying at POR
DS first trip DD second trip
Tink3rbell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
mickey1968
Mouseketeer

Even with just me traveling solo I have so many toiletry items that I started using one of the the hanging organizers too. I don't know how you guys do it with a full family in one room!

PS - I was shamed by a similar thread a few years ago about the dirty clothes in the drawers.

May 2014 - Pop Century, F&G and SWW • Oct./Nov. 2013 - PORS, MNSSHP and F&W • Oct./Nov. 2012 - Pop Century, MNSSHP and F&W • May 2012 - Pop Century, SWW, F&G • Nov. 2011 - POFQ, MVMCP • June 2002 - off-site/conference • 1990s - several trips staying off-site; Uni 2x • 1991 - WDW College Program (Spring) • 1985 - First trip with parents at age 16 or 17

mickey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #25
goingtowdwwithkiddos
Mouseketeer

I bring a toothbrush holder (plastic dollar store)I got disney this time woohoo to sit on the counter. I do kids clothes in zip lock for adults all underwear in one all socks in another etc. pop up hamper, and shoe organizer also. I print a packing list (my original from cruise diva) to make sure I bring what we need. I sometimes pack clothes on hangers Metal ones from dry cleaners so I can just pull outad hang up. I do not bring most of the stuff tooth brush holder, hangers, pop up hamper home it is dolla r store stuff so I just buy it again. I ALWAYS spend an hour or so organizing toys, clothes etc etc

goingtowdwwithkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #26
capegirl
DIS Veteran

Okay....I have read every post, and I still can't get past the dirty laundry in the drawer, or the creative use for the ice bucket. With those thoughts in mind, I think I will use the tip about packing outfits in ziplock bags, and I will never use a hotel ice bucket for the rest of my life. Of course I am that person who will not let anyone touch anything in the room until my mini can of Lysol is empty, and I have checked out the beds.
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #27
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Ask Mousekeeping for extra hangers. They'll bring you as many as you want, and you can hang lots of stuff (t-shirts, pants) instead of putting it in drawers. They even ask if you want regular hangers or the ones with "clips" like you'd use to hang skirts. These work for pants and shorts, too.

I use Ziploc bags to organize things inside drawers. When I pack my suitcase for my trip, I put all my socks into one gallon-size Ziploc, all of my undies into another, etc. Just transfer from the suitcase into the drawer, and things don't get messy. I hate pawing through messy drawers!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #28
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Don't ice buckets come with plastic liners?? I recall at hotrls there's usually i clear plastic bag inside.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #29
Andrea817
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts for Disney View Post
I put a large trash bag in our luggage for our dirty clothes. It gets filled up during our stay and I put it back in the empty suitcase to take home. When I get home I just have to take the bag out and put it in the laundry room for washing.
I do the exact same thing!! Works perfect for us!
Andrea817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
debf
Mouseketeer

We also use a shoe organizer for all of our small bathroom items. While I love the idea of a toothbrush holder on the sink, I have a issue with leaving them out. I put our toothbrushes away every day. I just can't get the idea of someone accidently knocking them on the floor when cleaning the sink area. Lol.. it's my own issues.

This year we are packing light. We really have to cut down on what we bring because we went from a minivan to a CRV. We always ended up with too many clothes anyway. We bring a pop up hamper and do laundry while the kids swim in the evening or sometimes in the early morning. I like the idea of asking for extra hangers.

debf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: