DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
mvndvm
Mouseketeer

Reservations with points from different UY

Quick question from a potential new DVC member. With the way the resales market is, I'm adjusting my strategy from purchasing a larger contract to a couple of smaller ones. If I buy two smaller ones with different use years, how much more difficult does that make reservations?

Do you reserve your resort with the amount of points that you WILL HAVE at the time of the reservation? I.E. - a Feb and Oct use year for a June trip would technically have only the Feb UY points available (assuming we use every point every year and no banking/borrowing). Am I correct?

Just trying to cover all the angles before jumping off the diving board. I'm thinking that with 2 UY's, banking and borrowing become pretty important.
mvndvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Points need to be available in the account for the time of the stay, not when the reservation is booked.

You will have people who say that different UY's are no big deal but IMO it isn't worth it unless you have a good reason. Affectively you have separate memberships with separate accounts. More to keep track of, more work to use, and the possibility of additional errors.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

For me two UY isn't a big deal because mine are for different resorts that I use only to book at home resort.

If you want to use your points together to stay at a non home resort I think same UY is pretty important otherwise you could end up in a mess with points you can't use or transfer unless you are very very careful about how you think it through. You will also get into difficulties potentially if you have a well thought out reservation with points transferred exactly to complete that reservation then your plans change and you need to book something else instead.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvndvm View Post
Do you reserve your resort with the amount of points that you WILL HAVE at the time of the reservation? I.E. - a Feb and Oct use year for a June trip would technically have only the Feb UY points available (assuming we use every point every year and no banking/borrowing). Am I correct?
UY has nothing to do with when you can call to book - that is all based on home resort.

UY is all based on dates of stay.

Feb UY - a june 2013 trip takes place in your feb 2013 UY which runs from feb 1, 2013 to jan 31, 2014. you'd also have access to banked 2012 pts and borrowed 2014 UY pts, if needed.

Oct UY - a june 2013 trip takes place in your oct 2012 UY which runs from oct 1, 2012 to sept 30, 2013. you'd also have access to banked 2011 pts and borrowed 2013 UY pts, if needed.

owners of both UYs could have called in july 2012 to book that june trip, even if all they had available was borrowed pts.

edited to add: and if you have 2 contracts with separate UYs, you are effectively 2 different owners...so you'd have to book 3 nights with one contract and 4 nights with the other and ask MS to link the reservations (and check out and back in) - it's a little more of a hassle.

Last edited by chalee94; 06-13-2013 at 10:44 AM.
chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
nalajms
DIS Veteran

First, I agree with the others, it's not worth it to get small contracts at the same resort with different UY. Especially if you need all the points to book 1 trip.

Also keep in mind that booking with 2 UY, you have to wait a few more days to book the 2nd half of your trip. ex - if you're staying 12/1 to 12/8, at 11 months you'd only be able to book 12/1-12/4. Then have to wait 3 more days before booking the rest of the week. The popular rooms would likely be gone (BWV standard, BLT standard, AKV value) at peak DVC times.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
DVCPal
Earning My Ears

I have two use years for the same resort. It takes very careful planning and a good excel spreadsheet to keep everything clear. My suggestion is, "don't do it."
Old 06-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCPal View Post
I have two use years for the same resort. It takes very careful planning and a good excel spreadsheet to keep everything clear. My suggestion is, "don't do it."

I wouldn't even think about separate resorts with different UY let alone the same resort. And lets say you want 200 points...... 2 100 point contracts will cost you more on the resale market than 1 200 point contract. More people interested in the smaller contracts increases the price they fetch.

Are you considering two smaller contracts because you think you might sell one in the future?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
mvndvm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman_apd View Post

I wouldn't even think about separate resorts with different UY let alone the same resort. And lets say you want 200 points...... 2 100 point contracts will cost you more on the resale market than 1 200 point contract. More people interested in the smaller contracts increases the price they fetch.

Are you considering two smaller contracts because you think you might sell one in the future?
No, we need a 300-400 point contract at VWL, and they are just hard to come by right now. I'm thinking a 200 point contract now, and then a 100-200 point contract (if the same UY comes along) later.

I think I may be coming more and more impatient every day, but I know that I should really wait for the right contract to come along. Just thinking out loud here on the boards!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
No, we need a 300-400 point contract at VWL, and they are just hard to come by right now. I'm thinking a 200 point contract now, and then a 100-200 point contract (if the same UY comes along) later.

I think I may be coming more and more impatient every day, but I know that I should really wait for the right contract to come along. Just thinking out loud here on the boards!
FWIW dvcbyresale has a 200-point WL contract right now. I haven't used them but they come highly recommended by others.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
mvndvm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
FWIW dvcbyresale has a 200-point WL contract right now. I haven't used them but they come highly recommended by others.
That is actually what prompted this thread. Thanks for looking out for me!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
That is actually what prompted this thread. Thanks for looking out for me!
Aha! February is a good use year to get if you plan to add on, since it's the second most common overall at WDW. Have you looked at the use year distribution charts at DVCNews? It's not the most common at VWL (that would be August) but it's not too bad.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...ts-by-use-year

I, of course, was completely oblivious to all this when I bought a September UY contract at BWV, and it's the least common at that resort. But I don't think I need to add on at BWV at this point, so it should work out OK.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you're sticking with only VWL, you should look at the thread on UY distribution by resort. Aug is the most popular at 23.7%.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: