Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #166
honeybunches
That sounds like a cat poster, but it's true

Such a great thread! I love your positive attitude. Saying a prayer for your mom's recovery. Take care of yourself too, it's easy to get worn down when you are taking care of someone else.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #167
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Great pictures from Sanaa and Kidani Village! The bonfire shot with Sarah is so cool, and now I'm really in the mood for everything they serve at Sanaa (something spicy and then one of each dessert please!).

Will definitely keep your mom in my thoughts this week!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #168
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Ahh, we had such a nice time at Kidani on our last day of the trip. Omg, I miss it so much right now. I LOVE IT. We ate at the Mara before we walked over there (I got the African Stew which was SO GOOD!!!), but I really want to try Sanaa next time. I would also love to see Kidani at night. Your pictures are so great!
__disneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #169
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunches View Post
Such a great thread! I love your positive attitude. Saying a prayer for your mom's recovery. Take care of yourself too, it's easy to get worn down when you are taking care of someone else.
Thank you very much! You're too sweet. I will try to remember to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Great pictures from Sanaa and Kidani Village! The bonfire shot with Sarah is so cool, and now I'm really in the mood for everything they serve at Sanaa (something spicy and then one of each dessert please!).

Will definitely keep your mom in my thoughts this week!
Thanks! Ah yes, that sounds so good right now. Especially the desserts.

Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
Ahh, we had such a nice time at Kidani on our last day of the trip. Omg, I miss it so much right now. I LOVE IT. We ate at the Mara before we walked over there (I got the African Stew which was SO GOOD!!!), but I really want to try Sanaa next time. I would also love to see Kidani at night. Your pictures are so great!
So do I. SO MUCH. Yes you should try to get a later reservation so you can enjoy the sunset and the night vision goggles out by the savanna. It's so magical.

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #170
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

I wish your mom a speedy recovery! So glad she has you to take care of her!

Mmmm Sanaa looks so good! I really need to squeeze it in one of these trips. I'm just dying to stay at AKL. It seems like basically staying in paradise. I love all the activities they have going on there!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR
I Kept My Eyes Open the Whole Time! - Nov 2014 TR

princess_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #171
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I'm so excited to see your Sanaa review since we are trying it for the first time in August. The décor is so lovely!

Your photos of Kidani are so beautiful. I know it is probably even more amazing that a photo can tell.

I hope your mom has a quick recovery. Sending prayers her way.

Looking forward to maybe running into you in a couple weeks!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #172
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Take good care of your mom; hoping she recovers very soon!!

Sanaa is one of our MUST do restaurants each trip!! It's so good And isn't AKL the most beautiful resort!!!
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #173
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
I wish your mom a speedy recovery! So glad she has you to take care of her!

Mmmm Sanaa looks so good! I really need to squeeze it in one of these trips. I'm just dying to stay at AKL. It seems like basically staying in paradise. I love all the activities they have going on there!
Thank you very much.

It IS so good. Definitely worth the trip. I hope you get to stay at AKL someday! It's wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I'm so excited to see your Sanaa review since we are trying it for the first time in August. The décor is so lovely!

Your photos of Kidani are so beautiful. I know it is probably even more amazing that a photo can tell.

I hope your mom has a quick recovery. Sending prayers her way.

Looking forward to maybe running into you in a couple weeks!
Yay you're going to love it! I've always had a wonderful experience there. It's beautiful.

Thank you! It definitely is. It's amazing to me how a photo is such a mediocre representation of the feeling of actually being somewhere. All it does is give you a feel for the layout or a slight glimpse of what to expect, but nothing compares with actually BEING there.

Yes! I certainly hope I do! We'll be at Disneyland from the evening of the 24th to the morning of the 29th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
Take good care of your mom; hoping she recovers very soon!!

Sanaa is one of our MUST do restaurants each trip!! It's so good And isn't AKL the most beautiful resort!!!
Thank you, I will!

It's excellent! Definitely a must-do for us as well.

AKL is STUNNING. Takes my breath away every time.

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #174
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Chapter 11: An Eclectic Assortment of EPCOT Deliciousness & We Didn't Even Go to World Showcase!

August 19th, 2012

This morning we woke up, went to Mass, and got to EPCOT a little before 10 A.M.

Momma behind the scenes taking some video:

I love my fountain.

We did some Future World attractions and then decided to have lunch at Sunshine Seasons.

I didn't get one of those, but HELLO!? Red velvet WHOOPIE PIE!? So much yes.

Sarah had the Reuben with the delicious Seasons potato salad for her meal. She loves the Reuben here, and I helped her out with that potato salad because it is SO good. Lighter than your usual potato salad and full of flavor. Yum.

She had the Chocolate Mousse Cake for dessert, and you don't need me to tell you this is good. You can just TELL:

Mom had the Mongolian Beef with vegetable fried rice:

It was yummy! And she had the Cheesecake with berries for dessert:

Delish.

I had the Sweet and Sour Chicken with noodles for my meal. I love this meal. It is always so flavorful. It's great!

Of course I had to have my Strawberry Shortcake for dessert. Heavenly perfection, and surprisingly light. Perfection.

Scott had the Togarashi Seared Tuna Salad:

WOW, this is SO GOOD. Scott and I are big fans of fresh tuna, and this salad was excellent. He let me try some. If I had it I would not have wanted to share. It was a really great CS meal! And healthy too!

For dessert, Scott had the Pineapple Coconut Cupcake:

YUM.

NOM.

This cupcake was one of the best Disney has yet to offer. The fresh pineapple and coconut were delicious with the creamy frosting and light cake. I'm glad Scott is a sharing guy. That was a fabulous cupcake.

Sarah was getting into Ninja Mode now that she had refueled.

I was attacked:

At some point, we went into Mouse Gear, where I deer-faced all over the Mickey Rice Krispy Goodness:

After that, we headed out of EPCOT, but not before meeting some fun friends first! Stay tuned!

Continued in Next Post

WDW Commando #141

Completed Trip Reports:

Last edited by Disneyfreak616; 06-14-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #175
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Chapter 12: The Grand Floridian Flirt

August 19th, 2012

We saw Stitch and Daisy out by the park entrance/exit with virtually NO line, so we decided to say hello!

I have no idea why the pic with Stitch is so yellow. :/ My mom's camera was probably on a weird setting because the picture with Daisy was taken on mine and the light isn't weird. This is why I like using ONE camera. It's so much hassle with a bunch of different ones.

We headed out of EPCOT and I took some PINventory on the bus.

We freshened up and headed out to wait for a bus to MK.

Once at MK, we hopped a monorail!

Me gusta.

We got off at the Grand Floridian and checked in for our dinner ADR at the Grand Floridian Café. We were seated immediately at a lovely window table.

The fresh rose on the table is a nice touch.

I love the atmosphere in there. So quaint and really contiguous with the Victorian theme. I love it.

The menu:

Sisters having a Grand meal:

Our server's name was Martin from Puerto Rico, and he was SUCH a flirt with me. I'm not sure if he's like this with all the monorail-shirt-wearin' Frumps that waltz in there, but we had him as a waiter again on our girls trip in December and he was just as flirty. On this occasion, he told me that my makeup was "pretty" and then just decided that I was "beautiful" in general. I was flattered and he was pretty cute, he just came on a bit too strong. He was a very knowledgable and attentive server, though, which is what I am reviewing him on anyway.

We were brought an assortment of rolls, including a sort of brioche bread with currants that I loved.

Mom and Scott shared the Seasonal Salad for an OOP appetizer, which included locally grown greens, heirloom apples, cranberries, fennel, Midnight Moon goat cheese, and an apple cider vinaigrette. It looks like there are caramelized nuts in it as well, but that's not on the menu description. Ah well. Bonus!

This was just the beginning of Mom's love of the GFC, as it was all of our first time here. The salad was excellent and they both loved it, but especially Mom.

Mom had the Sustainable Fish with fresh vegetables and seasonal accompaniments. She LOVED this. She is obsessed. She still talks about it! It was on the lighter side, flavorful as heck, and delicious!

Scott went with the Grilled Pork Chop with sweet potato-smoked gouda gratin with sauteed spinach and chimichurri. He loved this! Everyone was just so impressed with GFC so far. The flavors were unique and worked well together.

Sarah had the Pan-Roasted Chicken Breast with mushroom risotto, roasted mushrooms, and chicken pan juice. Again with the entrée love! This dish included some of Sarah's favorite things about food, tender and juicy, chicken, and mushrooms! It was excellent and definitely a more upscale take on chicken. She still talks about it.

I went with the Shrimp and Grits with Chorizo and fennel served on top of creamy Mascarpone cheese grits.

YUM. This was perfect. If I haven't said it enough before, I loooove southern food, and this was an upscale take on some classic southern food. I love grits and I love shrimp, and this had a bit of a kick because of the delicious Chorizo. I loved everything about this. Perfection.

Up next- Dessert and an unexpected DISmeet at MK! Will it live up to the excellence of the meal thus far? Stay tuned!

Continued in Next Post

WDW Commando #141

Completed Trip Reports:

Last edited by Disneyfreak616; 06-14-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #176
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Chapter 13: Desserts & DISMeets!

August 19th, 2012

For dessert, Mom and Sarah shared the Dessert Sampler for Two.

It comes with a Chocolate Mickey Mouse, Fresh Berry Tart, Boston Creme Pie, Key Lime Tart, and Lemon Cheesecake. The really enjoyed this! I think they enjoyed their entrées more, but they really liked these two. I think the Berry Tart and the Boston Creme Pie were their favorites.

Scott had the Boston Creme Pie for his dessert, which I think he liked. He definitely liked his entrée more though.

I had the Lemon Cheesecake for my dessert, and I loved it! It was creamy, just tart enough, a good size, and delicious.

We said Adios to Martin and headed out.

The Grand: where even the floors are perfect.

Ahh it's just so beautiful. I really hope I get the chance to stay there someday.

We headed out to the monorail station, and only one monorail could bring this kind of excitement onto Sarah's face:

The AVENGERAIL!

We got to MK and trapsed around in our ponchos in the rain, and Scott and Mom went to visit them Country Bears while Sarah and I went to see about Big Thunder and Splash. They were down because of the rain, so we ended up around Liberty Square.

So what better thing to do a little over an hour after a full meal than get a Nutella Waffle Sandwich? Nothing at all!

YUMMO. We took cover from the rain to enjoy it and then ended up watching MM&Y over by Crystal Palace and then Wishes from the Liberty Square bridge with the parents.

Afterward, we were walked through Frontierland from LS and I saw a familiar person walking by in the other direction.

So I went: "Brenda..." and ran up to them!

And whaddya know, it was Brenda (emmysmommy) and her daughter Emmy (JustEmmy), her husband, and Mr. DDW! (DonaldDoleWhip). This was so exciting. Brenda gave me a big hug and turned to my mom and said "your daughter's famous!" It was so precious. She took a picture of me and then we all of us DISers got one together!

The two of them had just gotten off Splash and they still look normal and functional. I guess that's what happens when you're not a Frump.

Speaking of Splash, we said our farewells and Sarah and I walked on! The two guys sitting behind us were rather flirty with me (monorail shirts attract men I guess?). Check out this pic:

They were really funny and we had fun riding with them.

After that we met up with Scott and walked on Big Thunder! Gotta love August crowds and EMH!

After our wild ride in the wilderness we went to meet Mom at Pirates, and I ran into a girl from my former class at school! Her name is Maria and I didn't even know she was gonna be in Disney! We talked with her and her family for a bit and then caught up with Mom and our swashbuckling friends.

You know what's a really fun word to say? Swashbuckling.

Go ahead. Try it.

Out loud.

It just has a nice in-your-mouth feel.

After Pirates we headed to Tomorrowland and waited about 15-20 minutes for Space. After that, we headed to the Main Street Bakery for a midnight snack.

NOM. Mom, Scott and Sarah shared the Cinnamon Roll, but I went with my classic croissant. Huzzah.

After we were done eating (that's my second post-dinner snack in case you're counting) we headed out of the park, had a sardine sesh on the bus, and crashed.

Continued in Next Post

WDW Commando #141

Completed Trip Reports:

Last edited by Disneyfreak616; 06-16-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #177
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Three more great updates! First of all, it's nice to see the seared tuna salad again. I always loved it when the tuna was over mixed greens, but apparently they now serve it over noodles. It probably tastes good, but I already eat way too many carbs at WDW.

I'm glad the food at GFC was really good! I had that chicken dish in July and enjoyed it a lot, but the fish and shrimp also look great! Regarding dessert, apparently the lemon cheesecake is extremely similar to the one served at Citricos upstairs (which means it's practically signature restaurant food) - great choice.

Your Splash Mountain experience sounds hilarious, and you have the picture so you'll remember those guys forever.

Finally, it was so great running into you that night! It was perfect timing, too, since you were able to recognize Brenda, but nobody knew what I looked like before that night. And then you met someone from school, too! Between all those encounters, the Nutella waffle/chocolate croissant, and the other fun rides, it definitely sounds like a magical night.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #178
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Two more great updates! First of all, it's nice to see the seared tuna salad again. I always loved it when the tuna was over mixed greens, but apparently they now serve it over noodles. It probably tastes good, but I already eat way too many carbs at WDW.

I'm glad the food at GFC was really good! I had that chicken dish in July and enjoyed it a lot, but the fish and shrimp also look great! Regarding dessert, apparently the lemon cheesecake is extremely similar to the one served at Citricos upstairs (which means it's practically signature restaurant food) - great choice.

Thanks! Yes, I saw that it's now served over noodles when I was at Seasons last week. I agree, and I wish they would bring back the salad version.

It was! It definitely tasted like a signature dessert, and I think that is true about Citricos. They seem very similar. It was great! I enjoyed it a lot.

Your Splash Mountain experience sounds hilarious, and you have the picture so you'll remember those guys forever.

Finally, it was so great running into you that night! It was perfect timing, too, since you were able to recognize Brenda, but nobody knew what I looked like before that night. And then you met someone from school, too! Between all those encounters, the Nutella waffle/chocolate croissant, and the other fun rides, it definitely sounds like a magical night.
It was REALLY funny. I love when I have experiences like that, where everyone's just having a good time! I'm super friendly so I always end up making friends with random people in Disney.

Same here! Yes, you were a mystery for sure! It was definitely one of the best MK evenings I've ever had.

WDW Commando #141

Completed Trip Reports:

Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #179
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak616 View Post
It was REALLY funny. I love when I have experiences like that, where everyone's just having a good time! I'm super friendly so I always end up making friends with random people in Disney.

Same here! Yes, you were a mystery for sure! It was definitely one of the best MK evenings I've ever had.
Agreed - some rides are definitely enhanced by a friendly crowd (Tower of Terror is another one). And I'm so glad you had such a fantastic MK evening - I definitely did as well.

Btw, you caught my post before I could edit it to say "three" updates instead of two. I can count (sometimes), I promise.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #180
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

It sounds like your Mom is in good hands and definitely sending out good thoughts and well wishes.

I love that photo at the check in desk at Sanaa and how, even though the gentlemen appears to be in the middle of something, he still took a second to smile for your photo.

Love love love Sunshine Seasons. I had the S&S Chicken myself. It was a nice change from the usual fried chicken balls.
And yup, that heavenly Strawberry Shortcake.

I'm not a pin collector at all, but now there are 2 pins I want/need. No Dancing and that little Monorail with the Mickey ears.

Do you know if they still sell that Monorail shirt because now I want/need that too!! But not to meet flirty guys, just for the record.

Awww what a nice meet with Brenda! I'm hoping for one some day too.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: