Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
huffjoann
DIS Veteran

MDR breakfast or lunch, why they ask room #?

We just got off dream & I did ask this question. I don't think I got a straight answer. When u eat in MDR for lunch or breakfast they ask for your room number,, why? Does it have to do w tipping?

Pop Century 6/10; All Star Movies 6/11; off property 11/11; Dream 5/24/12 3 night;
Dream 5/26/13 4 night; Magic TBA
huffjoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
sambycat
DIS Veteran

That is one way they have to match you with special diet needs etc and know who you are to greet you by name or get a drink you like. Helps with service?

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
castmbr
DIS Veteran

I believe it is so they can seat you in a section that one of your evening dining servers are serving.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
That is one way they have to match you with special diet needs etc and know who you are to greet you by name or get a drink you like. Helps with service?
Exactly so. They also use it for tracking as to who is using the sitdown meals as opposed to the buffet for breakfast & lunch. Not specifically who, more like party size, room category, for marketing purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmbr View Post
I believe it is so they can seat you in a section that one of your evening dining servers are serving.
That won't work. I copied this from a thread recently, it explains how the breakfast/lunch service works.

On Royal Court/Palace/Tritons/Lumiere’s day, CMs do breakfast, lunch & dinner, unless it’s on Castaway Cay day, then they are doing lunch at Cookies. On their Animators day, they work Cabanas/Topsiders/BBB breakfast & lunch. On Enchanted Garden/Parrot Cay day, they do all 3 meals. On the last AM, Palo servers work the buffet so that your server can serve the breakfast in the MDR.

They can't match you up with your specific servers if it's not their day to work that venue.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
castmbr
DIS Veteran

Odd as we always seemed to have either our server or assist. Server
Old 05-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
huffjoann
DIS Veteran

hmm maybe for marketing?
we never were served by our team and each time we were asked about dietary restrictions so it can't be that either.
the guy who asked it at RP said no charge, and I was like I know that but just wonder why you ask,, he said so we know where you eat,,, yes I kinda agree to that but I could eat all over the ship for one meal, lol

Pop Century 6/10; All Star Movies 6/11; off property 11/11; Dream 5/24/12 3 night;
Dream 5/26/13 4 night; Magic TBA
huffjoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmbr View Post
Odd as we always seemed to have either our server or assist. Server
I heard when I was on the Wonder that if you go to the same breakfast sit-down as you had for dinner the night before, then you will get your usual wait-staff. We didn't do a sit-down breakfast or lunch so I don't know if that's true or not.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
kventventx
Mouseketeer

I have many food allergies and I was always told which venue to eat breakfast and lunch in so that my allergies would be accommodated. It never matched up to where we were having dinner but our wait staff was usually working in whatever venue they had assigned me to eat at. I had to pre-order all of my meals the day before. But I did notice that our servers were all over the place during our 7 night cruise.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

I know that when we give them our room number they know right away that we deal with life-threatening food allergies, what they are, and send the head waiter to our table to take our order. This is a HUGE convenience in that we don't have to explain our special dietary needs at every single breakfast and lunch. If we preordered our meals the night before, they will know that too. It's a great system!
spacecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
I have a son with special needs. As soon as I gave my room number, I didn't have to explain anything. It came up when they pulled our room number.

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: