Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #31
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohguy View Post
I was thinking we don't have to wait, we just have to go to Universal...
I doubt Universal is going to aggressively develop their Marvel area the way that Disney likely would. My best guess is that they'll just leave it much like it is until they get bored of witholding it from Disney/paying Disney.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
I doubt Universal is going to aggressively develop their Marvel area the way that Disney likely would. My best guess is that they'll just leave it much like it is until they get bored of witholding it from Disney/paying Disney.
Marvel (and thus Disney) has a say in development and upkeep of Marvel Island. So really the decision-making power lies with Disney. Even if Universal wanted to expand or refresh the Marvel attractions, they couldn't do it without Disney's approval.

I'm sure there will come a time when Universal feels the land has lost its edge. The two parties will then have to decide how to proceed. Disney may want to reclaim the rights so that they can use Marvel characters in Walt Disney World. Or, they could be content receiving the royalty checks from Universal, and allow them to refurbish or expand that area.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #33
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Marvel (and thus Disney) has a say in development and upkeep of Marvel Island. So really the decision-making power lies with Disney. Even if Universal wanted to expand or refresh the Marvel attractions, they couldn't do it without Disney's approval.

I'm sure there will come a time when Universal feels the land has lost its edge. The two parties will then have to decide how to proceed. Disney may want to reclaim the rights so that they can use Marvel characters in Walt Disney World. Or, they could be content receiving the royalty checks from Universal, and allow them to refurbish or expand that area.
My point is seperate from this. I largely expect that Universal benefits more from Disney not having Marvel than doing any Marvel expansion right now. They are on a fine line between restricting access for Disney and actively promoting Disney product.

The situation is definitely a difficult one no matter how you slice it.

My best guess stands - Universal won't be motivated to refresh their Marvel content, and it will idle until they grow bored of paying Disney for it, at which point they'll release the license and retheme the attractions.

Of course my best guess is just that - an enthusiast wildly speculating.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

At least as far as this whole "official" thing goes, this is better than the "it's official because I heard it from my cousin's gf who's bff is in the CP".
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #35
mvk
Mouseketeer

I think the Star Wars Galaxy (and it should be Star Wars Galaxy, not Star Wars Land) should take over not only the Muppets/Mama Melrose area, but the Indy Jones area as well. If it's either/or, I feel like that won't be big enough. Honestly, I think they need more than both areas, really.

But this is very welcome news.
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #36
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Am I the only one who is sad to see Muppets go? I love that 3d show. I'd keep Muppets over Indy if I had to choose one.

I am more excited for Start Wars over Cars Land, but both things would be great to make DHS a full day park.

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #37
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
My best guess stands - Universal won't be motivated to refresh their Marvel content, and it will idle until they grow bored of paying Disney for it, at which point they'll release the license and retheme the attractions.
My point was that Universal's motivation is secondary to Marvel / Disney whims.

Spider-Man just underwent a 9-month refurbishment to add digital projection system, upgraded audio systems, enhanced film, etc. So right now, Universal is spending money on the area.

Personally I think it's more likely that Disney would prohibit expansion rather than US being unwilling to spend. The Marvel licensing agreement was signed during the lowest period in the company's history. The value of its characters has grown dramatically over the last 15 years. I suspect Universal is quite happy with the value Marvel adds to its park (relative to licensing fees negotiated in the late '90s), even though it means doing business with their chief theme park rival.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #38
Turbanator
Disney Fan

It's awesome that Star Wars is now Disney
Old 06-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #39
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Why oh why post another "official" thread?!?

I'm really starting to believe a lot of people don't understand the meaning of the word - or they are intentionally trying to troll.

It's fine to post a thread and say "More fuel for the rumors..." or something.

I'd post a joke thread right now, but I really don't want the mods mad at me...

Anyways...I'm hearing from a LOT of channels right now that there is a lot of internal buzz right now. It's still just a rumor on the rumor side, but it really seems to be getting close. Right now I'm about 75% confident in it. And the buzz I'm hearing is focusing on Star Wars taking Indy and the Backlot Express, not Muppets (which with another movie coming out, would seem like a bad idea...)

I'm not sure when the next major opportunity for Disney to "drop the bomb" is...how far away is D23 now?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #40
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrali33tt View Post
Am I the only one who is sad to see Muppets go? I love that 3d show. I'd keep Muppets over Indy if I had to choose one.

I am more excited for Start Wars over Cars Land, but both things would be great to make DHS a full day park.
I think they can find another place for MuppetVision 3D, either someplace else in DHS (replace American Idol Experience) or another park (replace Captain EO). Also could explore some of the areas around/behind Animation Courtyard to add a theatre.

I think with the future Muppets films coming out, especially if they are as successful as the first reboot, there will be a place in the parks for it/them.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #41
Joben
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrali33tt View Post

I would hate to see Muppets go too. I've heard the Beauty and the Beast show is supposed to be canceled, maybe they can move the Muppets over there and expand into the unused space behind it

Joben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #42
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

Why can't they expand behind Star Tours (south?)? The only thing I could see is a road (service?) and trees.

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #43
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

"Inside sources' still doesn't mean it's official.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #44
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I'm not sure when the next major opportunity for Disney to "drop the bomb" is...how far away is D23 now?
Less than 2 months. Aug 9-11, I believe.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #45
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooshoveller View Post
Why can't they expand behind Star Tours (south?)? The only thing I could see is a road (service?) and trees.
They could, though that area is set aside for wetlands/conservation I believe. I brought up expansion in this direction in another thread a month or two ago.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3109316

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: