Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #3136
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Ever since we stayed at the GF RPC we were spoiled. We have not stayed anywhere else ever since. Last year we went on a Fantasy Cruise and thought it was a good idea to try different deluxe hotels pre and post-cruise. We tried the BWI pre-cruise and lilked it, but didn't LOVE it. Post-cruise we tried the BC CL and we were extremely disappointed. We will not be staying there ever again! Well, this year we have to be in FL for non-disney reasons and we have added our vacation to that, and we are staying at the GF RPC. It will be a total surprice for our DD and DS who love the GF. I told my husband I was not able to book RPC so it will be a surprise for him as well. He said he's happy just being at the Grand. I can't wait to see their faces

DH DW DD DS
Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #3137
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davale4 View Post
Ever since we stayed at the GF RPC we were spoiled. We have not stayed anywhere else ever since. Last year we went on a Fantasy Cruise and thought it was a good idea to try different deluxe hotels pre and post-cruise. We tried the BWI pre-cruise and lilked it, but didn't LOVE it. Post-cruise we tried the BC CL and we were extremely disappointed. We will not be staying there ever again! Well, this year we have to be in FL for non-disney reasons and we have added our vacation to that, and we are staying at the GF RPC. It will be a total surprice for our DD and DS who love the GF. I told my husband I was not able to book RPC so it will be a surprise for him as well. He said he's happy just being at the Grand. I can't wait to see their faces
Congrats on booking RPC. I know exactly how you feel. Having stayed WL CL, GF SL, and GF RPC, RPC is my favorite. There are other CLs I want to try, but I'm worried they won't live up to RPC and I won't like them as much.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #3138
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Just remember that sometimes the CM's are on the college program... or they may have come from another resort to fill in if needed... always try to understand...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #3139
Lulu'sMom
You.Had.Me.At. Sticky.Mickey. ~And DOLE WHIPS too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Congrats on booking RPC. I know exactly how you feel. Having stayed WL CL, GF SL, and GF RPC, RPC is my favorite. There are other CLs I want to try, but I'm worried they won't live up to RPC and I won't like them as much.
The only other one worth trying, in MHO, are the CR CLs. The 14th Tower Club has the best service for a CL on property. The Atrium Club in also nice and is on the same level as the Poly CL which is a tad below the ones you have listed.

Now, if you have the money to blow, you need to try the others so you can say you've done them all. Like me, and I've done them all, some at least 12 times.

But, mickeynut, for someone that hasn't stayed at the others, your insight from the research on these boards, etc, comes out in your posts!

♥♥JungleCruiser,Sarah, remembering you always!♥♥

Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #3140
Lulu'sMom
You.Had.Me.At. Sticky.Mickey. ~And DOLE WHIPS too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Just remember that sometimes the CM's are on the college program... or they may have come from another resort to fill in if needed... always try to understand...
You're right, but the bulk of the gold star CL will have their newbies trained AND have someone right be their side.
I had a problem at BC CL last year and this new CM took care of it and didn't miss a beat! You can be sure I told her supervisor and wrote a letter to the GM of the BC.

♥♥JungleCruiser,Sarah, remembering you always!♥♥

Last edited by Lulu'sMom; 06-13-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #3141
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
.... There are other CLs I want to try, but I'm worried they won't live up to RPC and I won't like them as much.
That's how we feel also after the BC CL experience. We did go with an open mind....the only way we will venture to try other club levels would be if it's only for two days, just to see if we like them. We are also afraid we won't like them as much.

DH DW DD DS
Old 06-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #3142
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
Good morning everyone!!! I wanted to post a quick trip report for anyone who's going soon.... we got back on June 8th from the GF and it was AMAZING.

Our trip started off not so great...we had someone at the front desk that must have started their Disney career about 10 minutes before we got there. We booked a king room on the phone when we made our reservation, and he told us at the desk that we had a king room but it wasn't ready. (oh, and we did online checkin and nothing was ready) So we went to the parks, had some fun and headed back.... we were in a room w/ 2 queens. We called downstairs, the moved us to a king room. Except that it had 2 queens. So we called the room person again....she said she would find us a king and would call us back. She finally called back and said they had a room w/ a king. They moved us to Sugar Loaf! It was awesome!! My daughter loved it because it was like 'all the cookies you can eat'. We were on the second floor overlooking the pool. It was a little loud at night, but we loved it. It never seemed to hinder us falling asleep!!

We spent one entire day at the beach pool...for anyone concerned about the construction noise, don't be concerned. You totally forget about the construction when you're at the pool. Really. It's not an issue at all... to be honest, the clanging of the Alice in Wonderland kiddie area was louder than the construction!

The parks were hot and crowded and seemed to get more crowded as the week went on. (which is why we started the last morning at Epcot and left and came to the pool for the rest of the day!)

We ate at Narcoosee's (amazing!!!) and the GF Cafe for breakfast on the grounds. For anyone that is going to the GF Cafe for breakfast, I cannot stress enough how absolutely amazing the citrus pancakes are. I had to take a picture and send it to my mom because I knew she'd appreciate it. They were perhaps the best pancakes in all the land!!

We ate at Be Our Guest for dinner and I wish that we had made another reservation for dinner during our stay.... it was just that terrific. There is so much to see and you feel just like you've stepped into the movie!! Via Napoli was our favorite lunch...so much so that we cancelled San Angel and booked Via Napoli for a second day! 50's Prime Time was our most favorite dinner (outside of Be Our Guest). What an incredibly fun time that was!!!

We had Tropical Storm Andrea join us, and actually didn't know we were having that until my mom texted me to see if we were okay! We were in Epcot w/ ponchos.... the storm kind of cleared the park a little bit.... Rock n Rollercoaster was still over an hour and a half wait, so we didn't get to do that. The best part of that day was at the Wreck it Ralph meet and greet in the Animation dept. There was a service dog w/ a woman in a wheelchair getting their picture. Well, when the dog saw Ralph, he was rolling over, playing, trying to bite Ralph's big hands. It was truly such a beautiful thing to watch the joy that dog had!! It just goes to show you, Disney can bring out the joy in ANYONE!!!

The monorail ran without any issue during our week. The boat was a welcome treat at night back from MK. The buses all ran just fine and we really didn't have much of a wait at all. One morning though, there were 8 Animal Kingdom buses all in a row.... as you can guess, we were heading to Hollywood Studios! All in all, the GF was just as beautiful as we remembered it to be. Thanks to everyone here for all your wonderful tips and ideas and sharing your trips... I hope this will help someone who is going to be going to the GF.... it won't disappoint you. It's pure Disney Magic!
Sydneysmom thanks for the review..and congrats on the upgrade! I couldnt agree more about the GF...pure disney magic! BTW.. wondering where in SL is the king room located....? right..left or center of the building...??

Lulu'sMom Our second fave CL is the CR too...although having stayed on both the 14 and 12th floors ..I kind of like the 12th floor better...?? And then there is RPC...

Hey MickeyNut!!!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #3143
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Its great to hear that the DVC construction is not too much of a bother while staying at the GF. We have a stay up coming in just over a month, and cant wait. We have stayed at most of the WDW deluxe resorts, and seem to always be visiting the Grand. It was kind of like "well we will have to stay here on one of our trips" while we visited GF. We decided to bite the bullet and give it a try. Well "one of our trips" to the GF is NOW ! The whole family is super excited try out the Grand.
We have reserved CL in Sugarloaf to attempt to be away from the construction as much as possible.........hope our plan works .
We have stayed CL at the Poly, BC and AK so far. Cant wait to try out SL now. Curious to see how it stacks up against the Poly CL, which is awesome. AK was nice too.......but we stayed a few years ago when the CL rooms were right above the lobby next to the CL and our room had 1 KING, 1 day bed, and bunkbeds...........really mis those rooms, now that they are gone .
BC CL is absolutely the worst lol. The CL is way too small, no view, and our room is not even on the same floor as the CL. BUT we really like the bigger BC deluxe rooms , that must include CL so we are stuck with BC CL if we want the deluxe room . We love the BC, feels like home to us. Hopefully the Grand will give us the same feeling soon.

Not looking forward to Basin...........that store costs me a small fortune every trip !

Cant wait !
Thanks for all the info on this thread.

Syndrome

Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #3144
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu'sMom View Post
The only other one worth trying, in MHO, are the CR CLs. The 14th Tower Club has the best service for a CL on property. The Atrium Club in also nice and is on the same level as the Poly CL which is a tad below the ones you have listed.

Now, if you have the money to blow, you need to try the others so you can say you've done them all. Like me, and I've done them all, some at least 12 times.

But, mickeynut, for someone that hasn't stayed at the others, your insight from the research on these boards, etc, comes out in your posts!
Thanks for your kind words, Lulu'sMom .

It's funny that you mention CR CL as one to definitely try as that's one we are considering for a couple of nights in December. We are taking a 3 night cruise, with a WDW stay before and after. We are doing Poly CL after the cruise, but I keep changing my mind for the couple of nights before . I thought we had decided on CR TPV (have never stayed at CR before).....then I started looking at CR Atrium Club...then CR Tower Club came into play, with AKL CL being the latest one in consideration......so I'm a mess . I haven't booked anything yet and I still have some time, but I really want to make a decision. We love the Poly but haven't stayed CL there, so that's not changing.....I just have to decide where to stay before the cruise. And I had to laugh at your "you need to try all the others" statement because I DO want to try all of the CLs....I just can't decide which one to do first .

Quote:
Originally Posted by davale4 View Post
That's how we feel also after the BC CL experience. We did go with an open mind....the only way we will venture to try other club levels would be if it's only for two days, just to see if we like them. We are also afraid we won't like them as much.
I have considered BC CL several times but have always decided against it due to the reviews about it (very small lounge, so-so food offerings, no views, etc). Maybe one of these days we'll give it a try, but CR CL and AKL CL are higher on the list than BC CL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Hey MickeyNut!!!
Hi Blue .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Its great to hear that the DVC construction is not too much of a bother while staying at the GF. We have a stay up coming in just over a month, and cant wait. We have stayed at most of the WDW deluxe resorts, and seem to always be visiting the Grand. It was kind of like "well we will have to stay here on one of our trips" while we visited GF. We decided to bite the bullet and give it a try. Well "one of our trips" to the GF is NOW ! The whole family is super excited try out the Grand.
We have reserved CL in Sugarloaf to attempt to be away from the construction as much as possible.........hope our plan works .
We have stayed CL at the Poly, BC and AK so far. Cant wait to try out SL now. Curious to see how it stacks up against the Poly CL, which is awesome. AK was nice too.......but we stayed a few years ago when the CL rooms were right above the lobby next to the CL and our room had 1 KING, 1 day bed, and bunkbeds...........really mis those rooms, now that they are gone .
BC CL is absolutely the worst lol. The CL is way too small, no view, and our room is not even on the same floor as the CL. BUT we really like the bigger BC deluxe rooms , that must include CL so we are stuck with BC CL if we want the deluxe room . We love the BC, feels like home to us. Hopefully the Grand will give us the same feeling soon.

Not looking forward to Basin...........that store costs me a small fortune every trip !

Cant wait !
Thanks for all the info on this thread.

Syndrome
You are going to LOVE the GF .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #3145
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Well, we're reaffirming our plans for October and we're doing it! 4-nights/4-days at the Grand! So excited to be back to my favorite resort! Hopefully, much of the construction will be done by October 17.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #3146
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
Glad you had a great trip! Thanks for the trip report. I have a question about construction. I know you said that noise wasn't an issue, but what about how the construction area looks? There were pictures posted on another site, and it just looks so ugly! I hate to say it, because we have stayed at the Grand and love it. I know the rest of the resort seems to be unaffected by this, but what about the beach pool area? Is it just a sight for sore eyes? And I'm assuming the walls are still up around that area?
Honestly, at first I thought, UGH....but then you're just kind of relaxing by the pool, swimming, and you totally forget about it. Really. Unless you're over by the beach pool, you totally forget that construction is even going on. I was VERY worried about going there because of the construction, but I'm glad we went.
Now, if you're at the courtyard pool, you won't even realize that there is construction going on. (and the new pool is fantastic w/ the zero entry.....)

Some of the beach is open now and they did have chaise lounges. I saw a few people at the beach, but mostly everyone was at the pools. Now, don't get me wrong, it's definately NOT the same around the water... there are walls up and you're view is blocked.... but if you can get beyond that, it's still the same gorgeous resort. We were mostly at the courtyard pool except for the last day.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #3147
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Sydneysmom thanks for the review..and congrats on the upgrade! I couldnt agree more about the GF...pure disney magic! BTW.. wondering where in SL is the king room located....? right..left or center of the building...??

Lulu'sMom Our second fave CL is the CR too...although having stayed on both the 14 and 12th floors ..I kind of like the 12th floor better...?? And then there is RPC...

Hey MickeyNut!!!
If you're at the courtyard pool looking at Sugar Loaf, we were on the second floor right side. it was room 6222. It had a kind with a sofa bed.....

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #3148
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Did I see that someone here is going to be at the GF the same time that I am? We will be there July16-23.
Me (if I don't change again.....) 19th-21st Look for a very happy brunette with a tall bald hubs shaking his head at our silly kiddos

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

Hey, you, how have you been? Don't worry about lurking, I don't have as much time for the DIS when I am not planning a trip, either.

Congrats on your RPC booking, we just did the exact split last month! It was heavenly.
All good here....made many changes (shocking) but RPC is MY dream, and I deserve it.....I've been juggling kids, college, work, but I have a 2 week school break The boys are planning resort days, while the girls and I are off to meet Princesses

Quote:
Good morning friends. This may be a bit over the top, but I can actually say now that "I am going to the GF and Disney next month!

My family thinks I'm just a bit obsessed with Disney. Enjoy your weekend and stay cool if you are in the heat like we are in Connecticut.
Me too!!!!!

Quote:
Congrats on the change.....RPC is my favorite CL .
The Poly is my favorite resort overall, but the GF is great as well. I'm sure you will have a fabulous trip if you do choose the GF .
We actually voted today Hawaii vs. RPC. The girls loved Poly, but the Grand is calling!!! And the AP discount rocks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
BTW, I've had a first floor patio at the Polynesian and loved it. But we were near the quiet pool. On the water would be really awesome
We loved having the patio too!! We were right on the corner at Poly, so easy in and out!!!

I have to research the special secret elevator again in the main building...it's by Gasparilla's right???Hmmmm.....who was telling me about it coachbagfantaicAhhhhh, BTW thanks to all for sharing their TR recently

Lulu'sMom TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #3149
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

pas130 - I will look for you! I'm the short one with short black hair (thanks to my hair dresser) and I wear black glasses. I will have my DH, not too tall, trying to look thin and three kids with me. Two of them are mine, one is my very tall niece. She is 6 feet tall. My kids are short. DD has long brown ponytail and wears glasses. DS in same height as DD with brown hair.

31 more days!!! Can't wait for meals to be cooked for me, beds made for me and towels washed for me.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #3150
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
We actually voted today Hawaii vs. RPC. The girls loved Poly, but the Grand is calling!!! And the AP discount rocks!!!
Those are two great choices . Gotta grab RPC with a discount when you can.....LOL. We are trying Poly CL in December and I'm anxious to see how it compares to RPC.

Quote:
31 more days!!! Can't wait for meals to be cooked for me, beds made for me and towels washed for me.
That's exactly what vacations are for . Have a great trip.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: