Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #31
Kaykool101
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGdancermom View Post
I never even thought of just going for dessert/app?! Do I still need the ADR to do that? Do they care what you order? My kids are burger fans so that is good to know about Sci - Fi.
You do still need an ADR, even if you go in and all you order is a coke. They do not care what you order or how much. If you just order appetizers then they will turn the table faster, so they don't mind. We enjoy taking a break and getting to experience some of the neat restaurants inside the parks. The only restaurants in the theme parks we haven't been to is BOG (too new) and Mama Melrose. Both are scheduled for our next trip. But we never let cost stop us from experiencing one of the cool ala cart restaurants. AYCE restaurants, that is a different story.
Kaykool101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #32
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone,

We are traveling to the world in October. I went ahead and made ADRs hoping to receive FD. Not sure if that will happen yet or not. We are staying at BC though and I have gathered that sometimes it is more economical to go for the RO dsct. If so, I need to narrow this down to 2-3...

We have my Dh, myself, and DS13, DS11, DD7

Here goes (not in any particular order)

Sci Fi - lunch
Prime time - lunch
1900 Park Fare - lunch
Hoop De Doo revue - dinner
Camp May - breakfast

I originally wanted Chef Mickeys for breakfast and BOG but didn't get either of those.

Thanks for your help! Also, I am up for suggestions or opinions on any others.
I really think with your family size fd will be the better deal unless you are staying in 2 rooms. What I would do is get an idea by pricing out both fd and ro with the september discount codes. Then you can get a better idea of how many ADRs you want. Of your choices, I would have a hard tome narrowing down. Maybe get rid of either 50s or sci fi if you absolutely need to.
disneyfantotheend is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #33
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykool101 View Post
You do still need an ADR, even if you go in and all you order is a coke. They do not care what you order or how much. If you just order appetizers then they will turn the table faster, so they don't mind. We enjoy taking a break and getting to experience some of the neat restaurants inside the parks. The only restaurants in the theme parks we haven't been to is BOG (too new) and Mama Melrose. Both are scheduled for our next trip. But we never let cost stop us from experiencing one of the cool ala cart restaurants. AYCE restaurants, that is a different story.
Thanks! Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfantotheend View Post
I really think with your family size fd will be the better deal unless you are staying in 2 rooms. What I would do is get an idea by pricing out both fd and ro with the september discount codes. Then you can get a better idea of how many ADRs you want. Of your choices, I would have a hard tome narrowing down. Maybe get rid of either 50s or sci fi if you absolutely need to.
That is a great idea! I have ran it both ways and it is a toss up! I really am not tied to all these dinners and would just be doing lots of them if FD is involved...
The RO would be 30% I believe if offered so I really need to figure out how much we would eat without the DP. The other kicker is we are staying CL so we will be able to have light breakfast, appetizers, desserts and drinks that way too so I am not sure how many ADRs I want....Decisions...
Old 06-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #34
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The other kicker is we are staying CL so we will be able to have light breakfast, appetizers, desserts and drinks that way too so I am not sure how many ADRs I want....Decisions...
See now that changes everything. I would go RO then. Especially if it is close price wise. We always get the dining plan, but never have and very likely never will stay concierge. I can tell you my Mom would never do HDDR again. She got very sick for several days after and was convinced it was the food. I don't think it was, because the rest of us were fine. We enjoyed HDDR, but it is not a must for us.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #35
Sylkie31
Veteran 'Mouse'-r

We did breakfast at Cape May in May, 2012. Food & service were both very good. DGD loved the characters, but sobbed her little heart out when Minnie left - she stretched out her hand as far she could reach and sobbed, "hug".
Tried SciFi some years ago - was not impressed at all. It's pretty much permanently off my list of 'possibles' when it comes time to make ADRs.
50s Prime Time - food was very good (love the milkshakes!). Not sure how impressed DD7 would be about the black & white clips of old TV sitcoms. Other than that, it's a good choice as long as you're not looking for diet-friendly! LOL

The Garden Grill in Epcot is very good, & they put characters back in.
ADRs for this year:
Rainforest Café (AK) - lunch
Cinderella's Royal Table - lunch on DGD's 4th birthday
Boatwright's - dinner
Be our Guest - dinner
Mickey's Backyard Barbeque - dinner
Garden Grill - dinner
Chef Mickey's - breakfast

Will probably try for HDDR on our next trip. Haven't done that in about 25-30 years so I imagine a LOT has changed. It was definitely fun before, although food was only so-so (cold sandwhiches back then for lunch).

Disney Fan for Life

Last edited by Sylkie31; 06-13-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Sylkie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #36
SheenaXena21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sci Fi - lunch
Prime time - lunch
1900 Park Fare - lunch
Camp May - breakfast
I've eaten at both Sci Fi Dine-In and 50's Prime Time. We didn't really like either. Yes, they were both fun, but we like going to restaurants because of the food being good.

We had the ribs at Sci Fi, and they were so fatty, we couldn't eat them. It was fun to eat in a car though. It would have been nice if the waitress offered us something else, because we ate only one bite...

The food at 50's PT was ok. I'm from the south, and we couldn't help but to compare to my grandmother's cooking. The service is fun. Keep your elbows off the table!

I would suggest:
Kona Café- wonderful food and great atmosphere
Coral Reef- yes, a lot complain, but we've never had bad food (only bad service) here, and you can't beat the atmosphere next to an aquarium
Teppan Edo- the service is always excellent and so is the food
Yak & Yeti- the food here is good and the fried wontons are to die for!

If on the DP, we don't really like going to buffets. The food is never that good, except for Boma.

SheenaXena21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #37
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

Hi HBG!

If your daughter loves the stepsisters, then keep 1900! We have not been there in a few years, but the character interaction was incredible! The stepsisters are the best part; super funny and entertaining. Great pictures. Even my 7 year old son at the time, enjoyed it. Its the best character interaction between guests and between each other, that I have ever seen.

Our overall favorite character meal is Garden Grill at Epcot. We will be doing Tusker House for lunch for the first time for DS's 2nd birthday.

Good luck!!

plutospalforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #38
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutospalforever View Post
Hi HBG!

If your daughter loves the stepsisters, then keep 1900! We have not been there in a few years, but the character interaction was incredible! The stepsisters are the best part; super funny and entertaining. Great pictures. Even my 7 year old son at the time, enjoyed it. Its the best character interaction between guests and between each other, that I have ever seen.

Our overall favorite character meal is Garden Grill at Epcot. We will be doing Tusker House for lunch for the first time for DS's 2nd birthday.

Good luck!!
Is tusker house still breakfast only with characters or did they change that?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #39
amccu18007
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone,

We are traveling to the world in October. I went ahead and made ADRs hoping to receive FD. Not sure if that will happen yet or not. We are staying at BC though and I have gathered that sometimes it is more economical to go for the RO dsct. If so, I need to narrow this down to 2-3...

We have my Dh, myself, and DS13, DS11, DD7

Here goes (not in any particular order)

Sci Fi - lunch
Prime time - lunch
1900 Park Fare - lunch
Camp May - breakfast

I originally wanted Chef Mickeys for breakfast and BOG but didn't get either of those.

Thanks for your help! Also, I am up for suggestions or opinions on any others.
The only one I have gone too is Cape May for breakfast. It is very good and the character interact is great!
March 11-19, 2009 CSR,March 10-18, 2010 POLY March 2-10,2011 BEACH CLUB, October 23-29,2011 BEACH CLUB March 13-22,2012 Offsite, October 3-6 2012 YACHT CLUB- Presidential suite!!! Whoo-hoo!! October 1-8 2013 POR (First trip for my parents!)June 23-27, 2014 CONTEMPORARY, Oct 17-24, 2014 YACHT CLUB

amccu18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #40
Katmat75
DIS Veteran

I would definitely keep 1900 for the step sisters. My family hated the food at SciFi so we will never go back there again! Prime Time we always do and Whispering Canyon. Not sure how pricey Whispering Canyon is (Make sure someone asks for ketchup and either a large or small drink) but it's lots of fun and great food! I have never done HDDR nor Cape May so can't comment on either one but hear great things about both of them!

Good luck!

August 1999 - CBR, August 2001 - CBR,August 2003 - AS, August 2004 - CBR, August 2005 - CBR, August 2006 - CBR, Nov/Dec 2006 - SOG, August 2007 - CBR,August 2009 - CBR Offsite August 2010 ASMu September 2012 ASMu September 2013
Katmat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #41
kimber11
Kimberley

We enjoyed the characters at 1900 Park Fare but not the food. We went for supper though. Haven't tried any of the other ones on your list. Sorry, not a big help. Too bad you didn't get BOG or Chef Mickey's, they are both awesome. Do you have young kids? If so I would recommend Hollywood and Vine at HS, Akershus if you have girls (my boy enjoyed it too though), and Chefs de France was really nice for adults and the kids enjoyed their meal and loved meeting the little animatronic Remy. Rainforest Café at animal Kingdom was awesome for lunch! Probably our favourite meal of the whole trip.
kimber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #42
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfantotheend View Post

See now that changes everything. I would go RO then. Especially if it is close price wise. We always get the dining plan, but never have and very likely never will stay concierge. I can tell you my Mom would never do HDDR again. She got very sick for several days after and was convinced it was the food. I don't think it was, because the rest of us were fine. We enjoyed HDDR, but it is not a must for us.
Ugh! That's not good to hear about HDDR. Hopefully it was a fluke.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #43
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylkie31 View Post
We did breakfast at Cape May in May, 2012. Food & service were both very good. DGD loved the characters, but sobbed her little heart out when Minnie left - she stretched out her hand as far she could reach and sobbed, "hug".
Tried SciFi some years ago - was not impressed at all. It's pretty much permanently off my list of 'possibles' when it comes time to make ADRs.
50s Prime Time - food was very good (love the milkshakes!). Not sure how impressed DD7 would be about the black & white clips of old TV sitcoms. Other than that, it's a good choice as long as you're not looking for diet-friendly! LOL

The Garden Grill in Epcot is very good, & they put characters back in.
ADRs for this year:
Rainforest Café (AK) - lunch
Cinderella's Royal Table - lunch on DGD's 4th birthday
Boatwright's - dinner
Be our Guest - dinner
Mickey's Backyard Barbeque - dinner
Garden Grill - dinner
Chef Mickey's - breakfast

Will probably try for HDDR on our next trip. Haven't done that in about 25-30 years so I imagine a LOT has changed. It was definitely fun before, although food was only so-so (cold sandwhiches back then for lunch).
So sweet about DGD. You have some yummy ones planned. Thanks for thoughts.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #44
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheenaXena21 View Post

I've eaten at both Sci Fi Dine-In and 50's Prime Time. We didn't really like either. Yes, they were both fun, but we like going to restaurants because of the food being good.

We had the ribs at Sci Fi, and they were so fatty, we couldn't eat them. It was fun to eat in a car though. It would have been nice if the waitress offered us something else, because we ate only one bite...

The food at 50's PT was ok. I'm from the south, and we couldn't help but to compare to my grandmother's cooking. The service is fun. Keep your elbows off the table!

I would suggest:
Kona Café- wonderful food and great atmosphere
Coral Reef- yes, a lot complain, but we've never had bad food (only bad service) here, and you can't beat the atmosphere next to an aquarium
Teppan Edo- the service is always excellent and so is the food
Yak & Yeti- the food here is good and the fried wontons are to die for!

If on the DP, we don't really like going to buffets. The food is never that good, except for Boma.
Awesome. Thanks for suggestions. I looked at that yak and yeti too.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #45
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutospalforever View Post
Hi HBG!

Good luck!!
Awesome!!! Hadn't thought about Garden Grill but that would be convenient too.

Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: