Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone, I'm planning/getting ready to book my first Disney cruise for Feb. 2014. I have read that it's fairly common for ships to not be able to dock at Castaway Cay during that time of year due to the weather, but that supposedly the Dream is better able to dock than the Magic? Can anyone tell me if this is true? I am trying to decide between those two ships right now, so I'd like to get as much info as possible. The biggest draw for me with the Magic was it not having as many people (which I've read can make a big difference when you are at CC), but if we can't even dock then that won't really matter, will it? Thanks for any input... as someone who is new to Disney Cruises, I am feeling a little in over my head right now while trying to research!

Last edited by rustyanchor; 06-10-2013 at 02:09 PM.
rustyanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

If you want feedback, I've only been on the Dream in January and we did dock into CC. I have to say that I do prefer the smaller ships.
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
dandjfla
DCL addict!

I've only been on the Dream (March) so I really can't answer your question, however if you decide to book the 2/3/14 cruise on the Magic then come join our group http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48436505 So far the cruise is VERY quiet...only myself and two or three other people have checked in so far!

3/14/13 Disney Dream
10/31/13 Disney Dream on Halloween!
2/3/14 Disney Magic
10/1/14 Disney Wonder Double Dip

11/7/15 Disney Fantasy Grand Slam!
dandjfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

I'm on the Magic in February (switched from the Dream).

I think, and it's only a guess, that hurricane season is when you get the docking issues more prevalently. Not February. February tends to have nice, if not a little chilly but not in comparison to December, weather.

I usually cruise in April, though, so this is supposition. I am not worried at all about docking. I am worried about water temp, but that is it.

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies! I read on some websites that Dec-March is the worst time for docking at CC so that's why I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjfla View Post
I've only been on the Dream (March) so I really can't answer your question, however if you decide to book the 2/3/14 cruise on the Magic then come join our group http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48436505 So far the cruise is VERY quiet...only myself and two or three other people have checked in so far!
Thanks. I will most likely be cruising later in the month... but depending on rates it's possible I'll end up going that early. I will just have to see!

I just saw the other Dream vs. magic thread so I'm going to have to check that one out too. It sounds like the Magic might have more benefits for adults only travelers (it's just me and my BF cruising) in addition to the smaller size, so I'm leaning that way right now.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Can't say much about docking of the classic ships vs the newer ones, however, it is true that CC will have more people ashore with a bigger ship.

But unless you are going during high season, or holiday, the difference might not be that much.

I've been on CC in August (Dream double dip). Ship was 3/4 full, but there was PLENTY of shade, lounge chairs, umbrellas, places to eat, etc.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Can't say much about docking of the classic ships vs the newer ones, however, it is true that CC will have more people ashore with a bigger ship.

But unless you are going during high season, or holiday, the difference might not be that much.

I've been on CC in August (Dream double dip). Ship was 3/4 full, but there was PLENTY of shade, lounge chairs, umbrellas, places to eat, etc.
Good to hear because I ended up booking the Dream! WOOHOO! I had pretty much decided on the Magic but then I talked to a coworker who has been on the Dream and couldn't say enough good things about it (which, to be fair, he hasn't been on the Magic and said he's sure the Magic is great too). But with it being our first Disney cruise, the Dream just seemed like it might be nicer, plus the prices for a stateroom w/verandah were actually cheaper than the Magic's for the week we are going!

I am soooo excited... I was in the middle of planning our WDW trip w/friends for September, but now I have gotten completely sidetracked with cruise excitement.

The only thing I am not thrilled about is Nassau. I'm considering just staying on the ship that day so that we can fully enjoy it (we are only doing a 3-night so won't have an "at sea" day). Or maybe we will just tour for a couple of hours then get back on the ship.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
love5pets
Mouseketeer

I read the itinerary for our 5 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Magic and it appears the Dream will be at CC the same day we're there.

Is it normal to have two ship on the island the same day? Seems very crowded.
love5pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by love5pets View Post
I read the itinerary for our 5 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Magic and it appears the Dream will be at CC the same day we're there.

Is it normal to have two ship on the island the same day? Seems very crowded.
They have printed wrong I guess as only 1 ship can dock at CC each day.
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
love5pets
Mouseketeer

thanks...that's good to know.
love5pets is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: