Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #31
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

"Alaska is amazing" is what I tell anyone who'll listen, one of my fav holidays ever. Looking forward to your TR.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #32
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Can't wait for the trip report. We're booked end of August 2014.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #33
topsy
Mouseketeer

SO excited for a trip report. I am booked on the last cruise of the season and reading these reports makes it all a bit more real! Subbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
I have been waiting for some current Alaska trip reports, so I am more than excited to know that there is one coming up. We are on next May's 9 nighter. Hope you get those pictures sorted soon.
RweTHEREyet - how did you get those wonderful Mickey Heads in your signature? They look lovely and would make a great magnet for a stateroom door!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #34
ShellB8585
Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing!

I want to a B2B California coast and Alaska for my 30th in 2015 so I am really hoping they still have this available
Southern Caribbean ~ Disney Wonder ~ January 2016

1998 - 2012 ~ 9 visits to WDW
January 2010 ~ Honeymoon Disneyland
2011 - 2012 ~ 2 visits to DLP

7 Night Eastern Caribbean ~ Disney Magic ~ 14 Jan 2012
4 Night Mediterranean ~ Disney Magic ~ 9 July 2013

Shelley DH Carl

ShellB8585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post

Ooo, it's hard to remember all the tips I noted to give, so I'll be sure to include those in my report. As for the disembark process, it was relatively smooth. Only, it was our first cruise ever that we were hassled the night before to have our luggage out as early as possible. On all our previous cruises, we were never bothered and managed to get everything out by 10:30 or so. Our room steward this time was urging my mother to have everything out no later than 8:30, which was when the last show started. When she told him there was no way, he wanted to know at exactly what time we would have everything out. We went back to the room immediately after the show, and our steward was literally knocking on our door every 5 minutes wanting to know if we were done yet. We couldn't believe it, and it soured my perception of him after having good service from him for the whole cruise. It was clear he wanted all the luggage out before his shift ended, but considering we weren't even docked until 8:30 or so, we couldn't understand why the pressure to have all the luggage (for a ship half the size as the Dream) prepared as early as possible.

The first group called was around 8:45 AM, and it was Ariel. Followed by Daisy, then Minnie. We had Minnie tags; as we were leaving, they were prepping to call Tinker Bell. Everyone was urged to have passports and customs forms ready, and they controlled the amount of people in the terminal at one time (you get your luggage in the same area as you checked in). Only--after we handed over our customs form to the Canadian official ... no one asked for our passports. You might as well tuck them away for later at the airport. No one ever asked to see them, which I found really weird. You go through U.S. customs before your board the ship, but there is no checkpoint for Canada when you return. The airport is a different story, however. It is checked multiple times by multiple officials.

The whole process was smooth. We were in a taxi by 9:30, and that was after about a 15 minute wait to get a taxi after getting out of the terminal. Note! If you use a taxi, most taxis in Vancouver are Priuses and can only hold about 2 large pieces of luggage and 3 people. Vans were scarce and could only hold 4 people to accommodate a lot of luggage.

ETA: Yes, the Pixar Party was the same night as semi-formal night, which made things really awkward. The party was around 10 PM and if you want photos with characters, you need to be on deck 3 and snap a quick photo with them as they dance around. Because once the show is done, they all go back inside. No formal photo ops. Other than the party and the Toy Story menu (and Toy Story: The Musical show) ... that's all the Pixar offered. The few families who dressed up were all Incredibles. My tip: Go change into comfy sweats after the show, then go back out for the party. It was cute. What was even better was my discovery of wearing sweats around the ship.
Thanks for taking the time to answer The first disembarkation seems a little later than the first sailing. I'm thinking for those that have earlier flights and self disembark with their luggage it will be a little earlier?

Interesting that they have now added another Pixar Party at 4:30pm!

Can't wait to read your trip report!!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013. Next: 10/2015 WDW/MNSSHP/F&W
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Excited to hear more. We go Aug 4,2014 !
Old 06-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #37
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsy View Post
RweTHEREyet - how did you get those wonderful Mickey Heads in your signature? They look lovely and would make a great magnet for a stateroom door!
I know, right?

Here is the website: http://www.tagxedo.com/
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #38
FlowerMouse
1st time Disney cruiser

I have a question. What time did you arrive at Canada Place and what time did you actually get on the ship? Trying to get an approx idea of how long of a wait. Did you arrive at a crowded time?

Thanks, So looking forward to your trip report.
FlowerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #39
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
JMO, it's best to bring your own raingear. And a waterproof jacket with hood works best. Poncho second best. Umbrella not as good due to poking other people in the eye in crowds and not having both hands free for cameras and such. Yes Alaska is classified as a rain forest, so it rains there.
I totally concur that the one best thing I bought & brought on my Alaskan cruise (besides my AWESOME camera!) was a weather-proof Gore-tex jacket with a hood. Water proof & wind proof. Large enough to slip a light fleece under if necessary. SO totally useful, and much better than hassling with an umbrella. And most rain ponchos I've used don't breathe at all, and are hot & humid.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #40
forrestfamilyoffive
Earning My Ears

Always wanted to check out a DCL, and to Alaska?! That sounds amazing! I will definitely be on the lookout for that again after my trip to WDW.
forrestfamilyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #41
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

How very exciting!! We are dying to go on the Alaska cruise with DCL! Cannot wait to hear what you have to say. My question to you is, did you happen to see wild life? Whale sightings while on the ship. This is one of the biggest reasons I want to go besides the gorgeous scenery.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #42
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Glad you enjoyed your cruise - I'm counting down the days to ours!

Thank you for sharing all your tips - off to read your TR now.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #43
Everlymouse
Earning My Ears

I'm somehow missing where the trip report is... Can someone help with a link?
Everlymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #44
Everlymouse
Earning My Ears

Sorry -- I found it.
Everlymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #45
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerMouse View Post
I have a question. What time did you arrive at Canada Place and what time did you actually get on the ship? Trying to get an approx idea of how long of a wait. Did you arrive at a crowded time?

Thanks, So looking forward to your trip report.
We stayed at The Sutton Place Hotel located downtown and about 4 blocks away from Canada Place. We had a PAT of 11 AM and requested a van taxi (to take all of our luggage) at around 10:15. Well, because most of the taxis are Priuses in Vancouver, vans were scarce--especially on a day with all the ships in port and they're busy taking the disembarking passengers places. Our taxi finally arrived around 10:45 and we were at the terminal by 10:55 (accommodating traffic). They began boarding the ship around 12:15 and we were boarding group 4, so we were having lunch by 12:45. And yes, the terminal was packed when we got there. I ended up sitting on the floor, but this was because we didn't realize there was another seating area at the back of the terminal (away from all the "action" but there were seats nonetheless).

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan888 View Post
How very exciting!! We are dying to go on the Alaska cruise with DCL! Cannot wait to hear what you have to say. My question to you is, did you happen to see wild life? Whale sightings while on the ship. This is one of the biggest reasons I want to go besides the gorgeous scenery.
I did! I saw a lot of dolphins and porpoises; I saw 1 humpback from my verandah, and I heard that there were 2 humpbacks sighted right where I had been 2 minutes earlier as we were entering Tracy Arm (I had gone to get lunch ... ugh!) I also saw some eagles. No bears, unfortunately ... and the ice and seals with pups kept us from getting close to the glacier ... so if I squinted hard enough on my camera I could make out the black dots as seals. All the other wildlife I saw was when I was out on excursions. Oh! And while I was trapped in Palo, I briefly spotted some orcas. The door wouldn't open out to the deck, so I scaled the windows like a mad woman trying to catch the fleeting glimpses of them. Wildlife is so unpredictable up there! Some folks will see a ton of great wildlife, and you might not see much at all. So, I'd be prepared--you will see wildlife, but how often/what you see/how well you see them really varied.

I updated my trip report, too! Check it out:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3126122
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: