Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #31
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Emilyclaire. We own dvc but this year as we went twice so we rented for one trip. It went great but I was nervous but would def do it again in a heartbeat! We did it through the disboards. We went to AKV which is not our home resort but loved it! If it helps I can check availability at SSR at 11 months as this is my home resort and other resorts at 7 months and others who have AK as their home might be able to check at 11 months for you. What I have discovered being DVC is all resorts are nice. There are benefits to them all!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
emilyclaire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney2014plan View Post
I guess that I feel a little nervous (and being a cynic) about what happens if you go for a DVC property and then after booking and paying, for whatever reason, the deal falls through. Where do you get your money back from? My nightmare would be the rental company saying "No, the money has gone to the owner, you have to chase them for it". Would that be what happens?
My understanding is that you are able to see the confirmation number on the Disney website well ahead of your trip, to verify that the transaction went through correctly. So I would think that once you arrive, the process would be basically be the same as if you had booked the accommodation directly through Disney (with the notable exception of daily Mousekeeping of course).

Now, if you have to cancel for a personal reason, such as an illness or death in the family, work conflicts, etc., then you would be at the mercy of your private renter. If you went through a broker, it seems from what I have read that they may try to advocate for you with your points owner, but ultimately it is the owner's decision as to whether they will refund or not. Understandably so, as a cancellation would leave them with points that may be expiring soon and therefore be wasted for their use year.

I have read advice that encourages you to purchase travel insurance if you go this route, but make sure you are aware of what it does and does not cover.

Me: DH: DS:
emilyclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #33
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

I haven't read all the responses, but we have booked a week in October through David's for our upcoming trip and we are staying at the AKL in a Standard Studio Value in Jambo house. We cannot wait! This is pretty much the only way we could ever afford to stay at the AKL. We did book exactly at the 11 month window and we put in our request about a week before the 11 month mark of our trip and they were able to book everything for us right away. We have all the info and the confirmation numbers and I feel very secure. I am certain our two year old will have a blast!

If you want any more info after we get back send me a PM so I remember to tell you how it went.

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #34
emilyclaire
Mouseketeer

That is so awesome, DSNY!!! That is exactly what I need to have happen. So glad it worked out for you. Can't wait to hear how it all goes. Excited for your two year old too and the great memories you will create! Have fun on your trip.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #35
glaserjm
DIS Veteran

I pretty much read everything I could about DVC rentals and then started using the rent/trade forum. Pretty much everyone renting out their points there has done it before and has references available.
If you want to PM me I can give you a sample contract that I use and some names of owners I've rented from before.

glaserjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #36
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyclaire View Post
I have read that as well. Part of what made me a little nervous, as we would really like that extra savings by going the Value route, and love the idea of getting Jambo House guaranteed, because a member of our party has mobility issues. Would like close access to the main facilities!

I guess my big reason for not going private transaction is it just seems like SO much effort to watch all the board postings and respond at just the right time before the points get scooped up. I would really rather sit back and let someone else do that!
We had a value studio (that ended up with a Savannah View ) at Jambo House for our honeymoon. It was our first DVC point rental, and we went the private route. Couldn't have been easier. There are other forums out there that are dedicated to DVC owners that have much more active DVC rent/trade boards. We did book pretty darn close to the 11 month window- and those values do go quite quickly.

We're getting ready for DVC rental #4 right now (BCV) and have gone private 3 of the 4 times. We ended up using the timeshare store for rental #3 as it was a last minute trip and they had points at $6/point that were expiring in a week. Just happened to be able to make it work for us!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #37
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyclaire View Post

Now, if you have to cancel for a personal reason, such as an illness or death in the family, work conflicts, etc., then you would be at the mercy of your private renter.

I have read advice that encourages you to purchase travel insurance if you go this route, but make sure you are aware of what it does and does not cover.
Sorry for posting twice in a row, but I wanted to address this.

We had booked a trip with my dad prior to his death for Thanksgiving 2012. Unforutnately he passed April 2012. At first we had planned to continue on with the plans, and even made our final payment to our (private) rental owner after his death. My dad, being the practical man that he is, purchased trip insurance from TravelGuard (don't know if I'm allowed to mention the company). We made sure that we looked at the policies and what would be required as proof of a claim, and had that all written up into the contract and rental agreement.

When we decided to cancel less than 30 days out, we let our owner know that she was free to attempt to re-rent, and that we'd be filing an insurance claim. I don't know if she was able to re-rent the ressie (I sure hope she was!) but on our end, TG came through within 30 days with a full claim check equal to all of all money paid to the owner.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #38
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

I haven't read all the PP but I wanted to quickly share my experience with David's.

I booked BWV through David's for my upcoming trip. Of course, I haven't complete the process yet so I can't speak to everything but so far everything has been great.

At the 11 month mark, I submitted my request to David's. They weren't able to fill it at that time (didn't have the points) but within 4-6 weeks they emailed me back and said they got the points and were holding my reservation. Before they asked for a final payment (I already paid a deposit) they gave me a confirmation number so I could go on the DVC website and view my reservation. Everything went very smoothly and I'm very happy so far.

Once I book my flights, I'll email David's back and they can set my DME up for me.

As a first time renter I felt more comfortable going through a Broker though I did look into going private as well. In the future, as long as I could find some with references, I would go private if I could find someone. Private seems to be a little cheaper, and after doing it once I feel more comfortable with the whole process.

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #39
justcruisin

The DVC owner renting you the points is responsible for any damage to the room caused by the renter. Renting points requires trust by both parties.

Disboards changed their rules a couple of years ago so only frequent (very frequent) posters can advertise points for rent; this change drastically cut down on the points seen on the rent/trade board.

VWL/BCV December 2013, Just for the decorations and the food!
NCL Gem February 2013
SSR/BWV November 2012, F&WF and a Half Marathon!
BCV November 2011 F&WF
ALK/BLT September 2009
CCL Glory February 2009
BWV November 2008
POP/BWV August 2007
NCL Dawn February 2007
VWL January 2006
RCCL Explorer 2005
Disney Magic/VB July 2004
BCV July 2003
VWL March 2002
DVC Members 2001
Disney Wonder July 2001
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #40
emilyclaire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie

We had a value studio (that ended up with a Savannah View ) at Jambo House for our honeymoon. It was our first DVC point rental, and we went the private route. Couldn't have been easier. There are other forums out there that are dedicated to DVC owners that have much more active DVC rent/trade boards. We did book pretty darn close to the 11 month window- and those values do go quite quickly.

We're getting ready for DVC rental #4 right now (BCV) and have gone private 3 of the 4 times. We ended up using the timeshare store for rental #3 as it was a last minute trip and they had points at $6/point that were expiring in a week. Just happened to be able to make it work for us!
Stargazer, would you mind sending me a PM with the links to the other boards you mentioned? Would love to check them out.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #41
xmansmom13
Earning My Ears

This August will be our first trip renting points through David's. I booked about 9 months out for AKL, 2 BR, savanna view. It was very easy. We couldn't afford the whole trip there so we are doing a split stay, 4 nights at the ASM and 3 at AKL. David's was extremely easy to deal with. They put in our request for Kidani. Today I sent them an email asking to add two more kids to our room and they were happy to adjust the reservation. I've already linked the reservation on my Disney experience. Now if August would just hurry up
xmansmom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #42
tlkscott
Mouseketeer

I just rented a couple of weeks ago and got a savanna view deluxe studio for eight nights. I'm renting through a travel agent and I have been worried. However, I can see my res. on the Disney sight so that makes me feel better.
tlkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #43
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

I too used Davids for a stay last Easter. We were in a savannah view studio in Jambo. It was amazing! The transaction was so quick and easy. I was a little leery of renting private since I had never done it before, and by nature I am a skeptic With the amount of people you have I would suggest a 1 or 2 bedroom. You would have a full kitchen and be able to save money by eating some meals at home. I would not mind going private in the future but for a first timer it is nice to have a peace of mind that you are not booking with someone fake (that was my fear - haha!!!)

David's should be very proud of themselves...I don't know if I have ever read a negative review of them...Good luck!

jillmc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #44
Winky65
Earning My Ears

We rented from a private individual for our trip in 2011 and while I had the usual concerns, I was comfortable after checking into the individual. There are public records of property ownership that can be checked. The person offered that website and information unsolicited and it put my mind at ease. Talking on the phone helped a lot too. As well as them accepting paypal and a CC for payments. Trip went flawlessly and they worked with us every step of the way, both on the dining plan, which they need to set up. We are using them again for our 8 nights at BWV at Halloween. The reservation shows up with our names on Disneys web site and has our ADR's linked as well. If you do some research into what information you need to know before you pay, there should be little apprehension about doing it. We will never go another way, and will use the same individual whenever we can. The renter of points does take on risks as well.
Winky65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: