Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bUg
Hrmm... I've been thinking about this a little more, and it's kind of grating on me. I'm only using the $190, 75 min hot stones treatment as my point of reference since it's the only service I've had so far.

Now, at $190 for a 75 minute treatment that works out to 152$ per hour... Now, I'm not sure what Senses pays their employees, but I would imagine out of that 152$ they could muster up $25.00 in wages. Now, let's assume an 18% tip (I tipped higher last cruise, but this is just for arguments sake), which works out to $34.20.

I was also hard sold on a freaking $80.00 bottle of massage oil (which is nice, I've used it a couple times, but...). Let's assume they make a %10 sales commission on a product with that much markup. This would certainly be a couple more dollars. So for my first treatment, using my fuzzy math with a lot of assumptions built in to it, I can guess that my masseur may have taken home upwards of $65.00 for that treatment in total.

This is certainly more money than I can make in an hour at my current job and I can afford yearly cruises and several hundred dollar spa services...

Now, I realize this is not just a money for time equation, and the value of an experience is subjective. It is because of this that I am willing to pay such a high amount for a 75 minute experience. It is also because of this that tipping should be individual and not automatic. If I choose to tip, and tip well, it's my choice. Period.

I am certainly throwing enough money at SENSES SPA and by proxy their employees. Again, if they cannot pay their employees an adequate hourly wage out of the large sums of money I've given them for these experiences, this is NOT my problem nor should I be expected to supplement their employee's income.

I will still tip, based on my subjective valuation, which in both my previous cases, again, was over and above this recommended 18%, once significantly over. However I resent the fact that I cannot show GENUINE appreciation for the service as tipping is now "required".

Choosing to show appreciation through monetary compensation should be an act of volition. Maybe I'm just crazy because I'm Canadian, but this is an important distinction to me.

... For my convenience, my #$&.
I was thinking the exact same thing
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: