Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
emilyclaire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSilvaStrat
We couldn't get our first choice at the 11 month window when we booked. We couldn't get our first choice at the 9 month window. We did get our second choice though, after several emails back and forth with the owner of the second site you mentioned ( i assume) We went in 2012 and points were only $12 pp, now they are $14! It's only been 7 months how did that happen?!

We are looking at renting for our 2014 trip. Will prob use same site again, as the whole process was super easy. He was very accommodating and everything was booked/confirmed/ dining added and overall experience was super smooth.
Good to know you had a good experience with them. I was leaning toward them even if their price IS now the same as the other one, simply because their payment plan better fits my family's financial situation right now. They allow you to make a deposit at just $8/pt and then make payments up until the 45 day window begins. It would be a strain for us to do the whole thing upfront.

Me: DH: DS:
emilyclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSilvaStrat View Post
We couldn't get our first choice at the 11 month window when we booked. We couldn't get our first choice at the 9 month window. We did get our second choice though, after several emails back and forth with the owner of the second site you mentioned ( i assume) We went in 2012 and points were only $12 pp, now they are $14! It's only been 7 months how did that happen?!

We are looking at renting for our 2014 trip. Will prob use same site again, as the whole process was super easy. He was very accommodating and everything was booked/confirmed/ dining added and overall experience was super smooth.
The owners of the "renting" companies sometimes have a hard time getting members to offer up their points for booking. So they offer more money to the owners and they get more opportunities to book stays. Plus, if the member doesn't mind the work, they can offer their points for rent by themselves using the DIS. And get all the proceeds.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #18
maryj11
DIS Veteran

I have been wanting to know about this also. We were thinking of renting points for AKL. I was wanting to know when you rent points can you make a room location request, like request a certain building ?

maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #19
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
I have been wanting to know about this also. We were thinking of renting points for AKL. I was wanting to know when you rent points can you make a room location request, like request a certain building ?
Yes. The owner will have to make the request for you though.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #20
smidgy
dimples

Just want to suggest to the OP the possiblility of a family suite at AOA.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #21
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Renting DVC points will get a much nicer room and quieter resort than AOA for the same price or less. aOA can be very busy loud and noisy a very different experience from AKV
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #22
maryj11
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=dansdad;48659625]Yes. The owner will have to make the request for you though.[/QUOTE

Ok thanks

maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
If you book AKV, you will definitely book Kidani Village or Jambo House. That is not a request, but a booking category.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
Renting DVC points will get a much nicer room and quieter resort than AOA for the same price or less. aOA can be very busy loud and noisy a very different experience from AKV
you are correct there. jsut didn't know if they were aware of al the option.s I thought a 3 year old would love AOA.
this april we stayed 6 nights at AOA and then 6 nights at BWV. we are just 2 adults, and believe me, by day 5, we were SO ready to transfer over to BWV!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
glaserjm
DIS Veteran

In November we will be staying at OKW for the fourth time on rented points. Each time has been with a private renter and I've never once had a proble

glaserjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
glaserjm
DIS Veteran

In November we will be staying at OKW for the fourth time on rented points. Each time has been with a private renter and I've never once had a problem. We enter into a written contract and use PayPal to exchange funds, which offers some protection.

I will say that working with private sellers is usually cheaper (I've always paid $10-11 per point) and the payment terms have been good (50% up front, 50% 60 days out) with no money exchanged until a reservation number was given to me so I could independently with Disney.

If I hadn't tried to do DVC rental I never would have discovered OKW... my favorite place in the world! Good luck!

glaserjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #27
emilyclaire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy

you are correct there. jsut didn't know if they were aware of al the option.s I thought a 3 year old would love AOA.
this april we stayed 6 nights at AOA and then 6 nights at BWV. we are just 2 adults, and believe me, by day 5, we were SO ready to transfer over to BWV!
We totally considered AoA when we first started planning this trip. You are right, I think my son would love it. My biggest hesitation though was the sleeping arrangements with the 5 adults. Grandparents would be together, my husband would bunk with my son, and I would take the sofa bed with my (adult) sister. That just seemed a little overcrowded in double beds for 7 nights, lol.

I definitely will consider AoA for a different trip though--- my son LOVES Cars. Luckily though he is as equally crazy about zoo animals, so I think he will love AKL too if we can get it!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #28
emilyclaire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaserjm
In November we will be staying at OKW for the fourth time on rented points. Each time has been with a private renter and I've never once had a problem. We enter into a written contract and use PayPal to exchange funds, which offers some protection.

I will say that working with private sellers is usually cheaper (I've always paid $10-11 per point) and the payment terms have been good (50% up front, 50% 60 days out) with no money exchanged until a reservation number was given to me so I could independently with Disney.

If I hadn't tried to do DVC rental I never would have discovered OKW... my favorite place in the world! Good luck!
Did you find the private renter in the DIS forums? I have been hanging out on the rent/trade forum just to get a feel for things. My gut feeling is that you have to be so quick on the draw over there to jump on a post before the points are all snapped up! I am amazed at how fast people respond over there! I will keep my eyes open though and definitely keep it in mind. It would be fantastic to save a couple bucks/point.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #29
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyclaire View Post
Did you find the private renter in the DIS forums? I have been hanging out on the rent/trade forum just to get a feel for things. My gut feeling is that you have to be so quick on the draw over there to jump on a post before the points are all snapped up! I am amazed at how fast people respond over there! I will keep my eyes open though and definitely keep it in mind. It would be fantastic to save a couple bucks/point.
Yes, exactly! You pretty much have to stalk the rent/trade board and jump on one that matches what you are looking for. Be sure to ask the appropriate questions and make sure you are comfortable with the person you are renting from. I recently turned down an opportunity to rent with someone because I just didn't get a good gut feeling about the way she wanted the transaction to be handled. But, I kept on looking at a week later I was able to find a renter that was able to book our split stay. Points were $13 each (so $1 less than the brokers). I would check the R/T board dozens of times a day. I actually responded around midnight of the Memorial Day weekend - lame I know but I got the points I needed!

I also wanted to mention one other reassuring aspect to renting. Once I received my confirmation numbers from the renter, I was able to link those reservations numbers to my account on the My Disney Experience website and see that yes indeed, the reservations were made and that they are exactly what I asked for. So, it gives me extra peace of mind to be able to see the actual reservations. Good luck!
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #30
disney2014plan
Mouseketeer

I guess that I feel a little nervous (and being a cynic) about what happens if you go for a DVC property and then after booking and paying, for whatever reason, the deal falls through. Where do you get your money back from? My nightmare would be the rental company saying "No, the money has gone to the owner, you have to chase them for it". Would that be what happens?
disney2014plan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: