Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #61
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 14,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
There is a general feeling that Avatar isn't a good property to be basing a land at AK on.

But given that there have been no official details on rides, attractions or restaurants, there really isn't much to like either
I would love to see additional ANIMAL attractions in AK. My daughter would probably love Avatarland, but DHS seems a more suitable home for it.
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #62
Darkwing981
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 112

It'd be great if Disney could transform HS into 'sub-lands' focusing on their various brands: Pixar, Marvel, Muppets and Lucasfilm. Instead of the whole movie backlot concept, just emphasize Disney and it's brands . Of course keep popular attractions like RnRC, TOT, and TGMR (only after a major update).
Darkwing981 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #63
Mickeywdw1254
Earning My Ears
 
Mickeywdw1254's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duck

We're splitting hairs here. Something is only "confirmed" when an official press release comes out. Everything else is hearsay. Regardless of any facts/evidence that doesn't mean anything until an official story is published.

I can throw facts and random evidence together to prove almost anything. When your thread title's first word shouts of "confirmation" and then you lead with some CM grapevine mumbo jumbo like every other rumor ever, don't expect people to take you 100% serious. I see "confirmed" and expect a news story.
Most of the original rumors about HPW2 for Universal were sourced from cast members so while it isn't always the best source for reliable information it doesn't mean that just because it came from a CM means it is mumbo jumbo.
Mickeywdw1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #64
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
There is a general feeling that Avatar isn't a good property to be basing a land at AK on.

But given that there have been no official details on rides, attractions or restaurants, there really isn't much to like either
~I'll just have to respectfully disagree with this. It's a feeling expressed by a few people over and over and over again. It's the same thing with Magic Bands and FP+. No one was "thrilled" about Carsland until it opened, the project had zero buzz. In contrast, everyone raved about how great Fantasyland would be butwhen it opened, the reviews came back as underwhelmed.
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #65
twebber55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I'll just have to respectfully disagree with this. It's a feeling expressed by a few people over and over and over again. It's the same thing with Magic Bands and FP+. No one was "thrilled" about Carsland until it opened, the project had zero buzz. In contrast, everyone raved about how great Fantasyland would be butwhen it opened, the reviews came back as underwhelmed.
Good to see you back! Its been a while
__________________
June 2008 OKW
July 2008 SSR
June 2009 HHI
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #66
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Good to see you back! Its been a while
~Awww thanks. I really missed you, twebber55! I have got to get caught up on stuff.

~ETA: I see some things are still the same.
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #67
MinervaMouse
Earning My Ears
 
MinervaMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
Let me put it this way. What everyone wants is Radiator Springs Racers, which is a variation on Test Track (from what I've read). Why not have RSR in a Pixar land with new attractions instead of duplicating the whole of Carsland?
I would prefer this any day over Carsland at WDW.
__________________
"I'll know he's the one when he makes me laugh." -- Minnie Mouse
1999: WDW, offsite & All Star Sports. 2008: WDW, POR. 2010: WDW, offsite. 2011: WDW, offsite.
2011: WDW, Boardwalk. 2012: DL, offsite. 2013: WDW, OKW. DL, offsite.


MinervaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #68
The Duck
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeywdw1254 View Post
Most of the original rumors about HPW2 for Universal were sourced from cast members so while it isn't always the best source for reliable information it doesn't mean that just because it came from a CM means it is mumbo jumbo.
Regardless, that doesn't mean it's confirmed. CM, janitor, construction worker, etc. It doesn't mean anything until there's a news story or press release.
The Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #69
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I'll just have to respectfully disagree with this. It's a feeling expressed by a few people over and over and over again. It's the same thing with Magic Bands and FP+. No one was "thrilled" about Carsland until it opened, the project had zero buzz. In contrast, everyone raved about how great Fantasyland would be butwhen it opened, the reviews came back as underwhelmed.
I've personally seen it expressed by more than "a few people over and over and over again". In my personal observance, the majority seem to dislike it. But we are talking subjective views...I have not seen any scientific studies.

I'm also not sure about how "everyone raved" about Fantasyland. In fact, reaction helped prompt them to modify the plans and include a coaster instead of a bunch of princess M&G areas.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #70
twebber55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I've personally seen it expressed by more than "a few people over and over and over again". In my personal observance, the majority seem to dislike it. But we are talking subjective views...I have not seen any scientific studies.

I'm also not sure about how "everyone raved" about Fantasyland. In fact, reaction helped prompt them to modify the plans and include a coaster instead of a bunch of princess M&G areas.
here s the thing...i dont understand why people have to pre judge something before they ever know what it will be about...why not let it play out and see what is announced...im not a big fan of the mummy but think it may be one of the greatest rides ever

some people may not like it on this board but im confident it will do well when it opens
__________________
June 2008 OKW
July 2008 SSR
June 2009 HHI
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #71
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
here s the thing...i dont understand why people have to pre judge something before they ever know what it will be about...why not let it play out and see what is announced...im not a big fan of the mummy but think it may be one of the greatest rides ever

some people may not like it on this board but im confident it will do well when it opens
Because it's human nature...as reading anything on these boards show.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #72
twebber55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Because it's human nature...as reading anything on these boards show.
__________________
June 2008 OKW
July 2008 SSR
June 2009 HHI
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #73
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran
 
Yellowstonetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 1,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
...CMs would be reabsorbed into Disney
Your distinctiveness will be assimilated and reassigned to serve the collective elsewhere. Resistance is futile.
__________________
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #74
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I've personally seen it expressed by more than "a few people over and over and over again". In my personal observance, the majority seem to dislike it. But we are talking subjective views...I have not seen any scientific studies.

I'm also not sure about how "everyone raved" about Fantasyland. In fact, reaction helped prompt them to modify the plans and include a coaster instead of a bunch of princess M&G areas.
~Hey doc, I don't mean to nitpick -- you've helped me a lot on the boards, so this is a little awkward, but I just have to address this "majority" thing.

~Maybe it "appears" to be the majority of posters specifically on the Disney fan boards but I don't believe it's the overall majority of current and potential theme park guests.

~Avatars facebook page has over 42 million likes. In contrast, Disney's facebook page has 44 million likes. And, The DIS has almost 65,000 likes, so let's just assume we have 65,000 Diser's that despise the Avatarland concept, it's still a drop in the bucket. That's not to say that their opinion doesn't count for much, because I don't believe that. I know Disney reads and follows Disboards and the feedback they receive from this demographic is invaluable. And, I agree it's not at all scientific, but I think you are grossly overestimating the "majority" of dissenters toward Avatarland. We'll see.
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #75
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Hey doc, I don't mean to nitpick -- you've helped me a lot on the boards, so this is a little awkward, but I just have to address this "majority" thing.

~Maybe it "appears" to be the majority of posters specifically on the Disney fan boards but I don't believe it's the overall majority of current and potential theme park guests.

~Avatars facebook page has over 42 million likes. In contrast, Disney's facebook page has 44 million likes. And, The DIS has almost 65,000 likes, so let's just assume we have 65,000 Diser's that despise the Avatarland concept, it's still a drop in the bucket. That's not to say that their opinion doesn't count for much, because I don't believe that. I know Disney reads and follows Disboards and the feedback they receive from this demographic is invaluable. And, I agree it's not at all scientific, but I think you are grossly overestimating the "majority" of dissenters toward Avatarland. We'll see.
Let me amend what I said...

In my observance, of those expressing an opinion over the announcement and concept of Avatarland at Animal Kingdom, a majority appear to dislike the idea. And I'm not talking about just on the DIS either, but on various other boards, etc. And as you say, that still might be a small fraction of the population as a whole - but that entire population is not visible.

How many people like Avatar itself, or Disney as a corporation, on Facebook isn't directly relevant to the discussion. I actually know some fans of Avatar who themselves are very cautious about the sequels.

Avatar could be awesome. I'm not saying it won't be. I'm personally kind of on the fence regarding the concept. I just don't know if it is a great property to base a major section of a park on, especially when Disney has it's own properties that they seems to be afraid to base stuff on despite their success.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.