Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
kmeagan
Earning My Ears

Alaskan Cruise Port Adventure Recommendations

Hi!

Heading to Alaska mid-June with an active 12 year old tween, a mildly active 72 year old mother and an adventerous husband!

I am overwhelmed at trying to select among the fantastic port adventures for our trip.

I am going to book a grandma and grandson day, a father/son day, and one day with all of us together!

Any suggestions to help me narrow down my choice?

Thanks Disney Fans!
Kathy
kmeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Politzania
Mouseketeer

In 2011 - we were travelling with my 40-something DH and his dad & step mom (semi-active late 60's) and booked the following:

Best of Skagway (thru DCL) - The train trip was probably the highlight of this combination excursion - just don't sit in the car directly behind the engine unless you want to be breathing exhaust the whole time!
We also enjoyed the lunch at Liarsville a LOT - the entertainment was hokey, but fun (think Billy Hill & the Hillbillies) - the "panning for gold" was meh.
We also enjoyed the visit to the Red Onion Saloon & Bordello - just barely risque with strategically placed boas across some of the paintings on display.

We also booked 2 excursions independently:

Ketchikan - floatplane excursion to the Misty Fjords with Island Wings. The floatplane was a "must do" for my husband and Island Wings gave us a great experience for a reasonable price. Michelle and her team were a pleasure to work with both in terms of planning and the experience itself - highly recommended!

Juneau - whale watching with Harv & Marv - another great experience - smaller boats means getting closer to the whales and more personal attention. They really seem to love what they do - it's not just "a job" for them.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Aby
Obsessive and Compulsive

The two boys would probably like the Mountain Point Snorkelling Adventure in Ketchikan if they are adventurous! Not many can say they've snorkelled in Alaska! My hubby and I did the tour and really enjoyed it. Sounds cold, but it really wasn't bad at all!

All 4 of you might really enjoy the White Pass Railway in Skagway - we did the Steam Train and it was amazing!

I'm sure others will chime in too - there is also a big review thread around here of the Alaskan excursions - might be a page or two down but you should have a look at that too!

Aby
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

Wink

This will be the 3rd time to Alaska the first time I did the white pass rail road and yes it was interesting and scenery beautiful it is a one time cruise thing. We have also doe whale watching and yes it is a something I did on the second trip but not thus time. We went with Orca Enterprises and they were fantastic. They even gave me a group discount. This time my 82 year mom and I will do The Deadliest Catch tour in Ketchicsn.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Another vote for the Misty Fjords float plane out of Ketchikan. We booked it on our own when we got there -- you'll find kiosks right at the dock. It's cheaper than booking it through DCL, and if the weather is really crummy, you can change your plans without the hassle of canceling a shore excursion.

The Roberts Tramway in Juneau is also something you can all do together, if the weather is clear. If the clouds cover the top of the mountain, you won't be able to see much.

Our extended family ages 15 mos up to 80+ did the railway in Skagway. There were enough of us we had our own rail car. Fun times.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

I did all my research prior to the cruise (just got back) by reading this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2723087

I booked all my excursions privately. I traveled with my parents (in their 60's and 70's) and myself (30)--

Juneau: Rum Runner Charters 2.5 hour private whale watching tour. Absolutely amazing and it was the ultimate luxury to have our own charter versus fighting crowds of people for places to see over the railing. We got right up close to a baby humpback and his mother.

Skagway: Chillkoot Charters & Tours 8 hour rail and bus excursion with 15 minute dog kart ride. Again, absolutely amazing and we were very well taken care of by our guide, Mike.

I found it was slightly cheaper to book privately than through DCL. Plus, these specific itineraries were not offered through DCL. I had absolutely no problems with either company.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
emilyann415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politzania View Post
In 2011 - we were travelling with my 40-something DH and his dad & step mom (semi-active late 60's) and booked the following:

Best of Skagway (thru DCL) - The train trip was probably the highlight of this combination excursion - just don't sit in the car directly behind the engine unless you want to be breathing exhaust the whole time!
We also enjoyed the lunch at Liarsville a LOT - the entertainment was hokey, but fun (think Billy Hill & the Hillbillies) - the "panning for gold" was meh.
We also enjoyed the visit to the Red Onion Saloon & Bordello - just barely risque with strategically placed boas across some of the paintings on display.

We also booked 2 excursions independently:

Ketchikan - floatplane excursion to the Misty Fjords with Island Wings. The floatplane was a "must do" for my husband and Island Wings gave us a great experience for a reasonable price. Michelle and her team were a pleasure to work with both in terms of planning and the experience itself - highly recommended!

Juneau - whale watching with Harv & Marv - another great experience - smaller boats means getting closer to the whales and more personal attention. They really seem to love what they do - it's not just "a job" for them.
We are going in August and have Harv and Marv and the Island Wings floatplane booked. Nice to hear the good reviews.
emilyann415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

we went 2 weeks ago and highly recommend Harv & Marvs. it was a great day for the 5 of us. We were able to see lots of whales and other wild life.

Everyone who worked there was super friendly. we had Captain Steve.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: