Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
cmjohannes
Earning My Ears

Need some ideas on how to surprise kids with resort change

Hi All,
We are visiting the World Sept 14-20. Included are myself, DH, and 2 kids: DS is 12 and DD is 10. We had originally planned to stay at POFQ. When free dining came out, we changed our reservation to CSR business class (we stayed at CSR in 2010 and loved it). After more research, I changed the reservation again and now we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge (for the first time). We haven't told the kids - they still think we will be staying at CSR.

So.....I am looking for some suggestions as to how/when we should tell the kids we are staying at WL. They have seen pictures, and will be super excited about being there.
We are driving down from MD the day before, staying one night offsite and arriving early at WL to pick up tickets and such. Do we wait until we get there? Or tell them the night before?
We had told the kids that if they got really good grades, there might be a surprise waiting for them at WDW, so they are expecting something, but have no idea what. Any comments, advice, suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!
cmjohannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohannes View Post
Hi All,
We are visiting the World Sept 14-20. Included are myself, DH, and 2 kids: DS is 12 and DD is 10. We had originally planned to stay at POFQ. When free dining came out, we changed our reservation to CSR business class (we stayed at CSR in 2010 and loved it). After more research, I changed the reservation again and now we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge (for the first time). We haven't told the kids - they still think we will be staying at CSR.

So.....I am looking for some suggestions as to how/when we should tell the kids we are staying at WL. They have seen pictures, and will be super excited about being there.
We are driving down from MD the day before, staying one night offsite and arriving early at WL to pick up tickets and such. Do we wait until we get there? Or tell them the night before?
We had told the kids that if they got really good grades, there might be a surprise waiting for them at WDW, so they are expecting something, but have no idea what. Any comments, advice, suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!
I'd just tell them. Would they really get that excited about being in a different resort?
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
MinnieTink
DIS Veteran

I would just stay quiet and roll up there on the morning you arrive. WL is so impressive and beautiful driving and walking up to it (even moreso at night!) Enjoy your stay! WL is my favorite

MinnieTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohannes
Hi All,

Thanks!
We are going to be at WL those exact dates!
I also think you should keep quiet until you arrive at the Lodge. They're gonna love it!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I would drive up, telling them you had planned a meal there. Pull up to the front door and say, get the bags, we are staying here.

There's nothing better than a grand surprise.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
gingercake71
Earning My Ears

Wildnerness Lodge did have a program where a family is selected to raise the flag early in the morning. It would be neat to surprise them by pulling up and on top of that being able to be the key family. They also give you a certificate. You may call the lodge directly to see if this is still available!
gingercake71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercake71
Wildnerness Lodge did have a program where a family is selected to raise the flag early in the morning. It would be neat to surprise them by pulling up and on top of that being able to be the key family. They also give you a certificate. You may call the lodge directly to see if this is still available!
It is still available. However you cannot put your name on the list to be Flag Family until you check in. And as you can imagine there's a long list of names.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercake71 View Post
Unfortunately, you cannot call any of the resorts directly.

The CM will answer the phone as if they are in the resort, but they are in a Central Call Center on property and in nightime hours, they are off-property.

It is all about the illusion that you are reaching someone at the actual resort. Disney prefers to have their CM's at the front desk deal with check-in and issues directly at the resort, and not multiple phone calls.

The CM would only transfer the call to the resort, if they deemed it necessary, as in case of an emergency. Most likely, their call regarding being the family of the day would be the CM telling them they could ask at check-in.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
DisneyLover0610
Mouseketeer

You should stay quiet until you drive up! I like the idea of telling them you are eating there, then telling them to grab the bags!! Nothing is better than a surprise!
Have a great time!
'83, '85, '92, '99, '03, '05, '06, '08 - Engagement Extravaganza, '10 - Honeymoon with Family & Friends, '11 - "Real" Honeymoon/Anniversary, '12 - Flower & Garden with Mom, '12 - Just Because, '13 - Surprise Day Trip for Husband's Bday, '13 - Our First CL Experience! Beach Club, '14 - Flower & Garden with Mom AND Dad!
October 2014 - We Can't Stay Away
DisneyLover0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Obviously you know your kids best, but I would tell them ASAP. I have seen too many videos of people surprising their kids and the kids being upset because they had prepared themselves for a different trip or a different resort.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: