Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Sierraskyler
Earning My Ears

St Maarten/ St. Thomas/St. John, Excursions

Hi,

We are sailing the Fantasy Sept 21-28 and I am starting to look at excursions and am quickly realizing we are limited as my son will be 3 weeks shy of 5... I know he would have no problem doing the excursions but because he is still 4 we are not able to book the ones that really looks good thru Disney..Anyone ever done an excursion similar to the Full Day Caribbean Sail & Snorkel to Turtle Cove & Honeymoon Beach... but booked independently??? Or any other suggestions for St Maarten or St John/ St Thomas for a great excursion for a family with a 4& 8 yr old that love the water and beach, as this is our first cruise I am a bit overwhelmed any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Sierraskyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
dznyacct
DIS Veteran

We used Bernard's Tours in St. Maarten (like many other DISers ) and HIGHLY recommend them. Check out their website: http://www.bernardstours.com/ . We had a group of 10 and we were lucky enough to get our own van and our awesome driver/guide John . He let us customize our tour. We wanted to spend more time at Maho (the airport beach ~ absolutely AMAZING ~ check out the videos posted on youtube ), so we made a brief stop at Orient Beach and spent a lot of time at Maho. We will definitely use them again on a return visit to St. Maarten !
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
2prettygirl
Mouseketeer

Our kids were 3 and 7 in January when we cruise for the first time. We too used Benards Travel Tours in St. Maarten and it was VERY accomdoating for all ages. In St. Thomas we booked an excursion through our cruise ship (Carnival at the time) and went to Meagens Bay. It was such a pretty beach and we all enjoyed the beach time! We are cruising January 2014 and plan to walk or do a water taxi over to Great Bay beach not far from the pier in St. Maarten. St. Thomas we are still looking but I am considering Meagens Bay again for beach time.
2prettygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
supercrossfox21
Mouseketeer

We are kind oc in the same boat as you.... ok we are on the same boat since that is our sailing to... but our daughter will be 3weeks shy of 4 and we cant do a lot of the excursions. We are for sure doing Meagans Bay in St. Thomas. A few years ago my husband and I went there and it was great. We live right by the beach so beaches arent a big desl to us but this one was so pretty and I know our daughter will love it. I even found some small sand toys at the dollar store to bring with. Still not sure abt the other port.
supercrossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
ONMom
Earning My Ears

We also did Bernards Tours and were very happy with them.

We did Magens Bay in St. Thomas but took a cab - it was much cheaper than the DCL excursion. I think we paid $40 return for three of us.
ONMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:08 AM   #6
LouisaBean
Earning My Ears

We are also on the same cruise !! We are doing a Bernards Tour of Maho Beach in St Martens which is $25 per adult and then in St Thomas my son and my mum will be doing Meagans Beach while my older 2 girls and myself will be doing the ziplining - can't wait it is getting closer now
LouisaBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

We are signed up for a cruise/snorkel excursion on St. Maarten with Captain Bobhttp://www.soualigadestinations.com/soualiga_destinations/Welcome.html

The excursion gets great reviews.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
shburks
DIS Veteran

Our son was 7 when we cruised last summer. We did the Butterfly Farm on St Maarten because he wanted to do it. He had a nice time and we had yummy food at the French bakery when we stopped. On St Thomas, we booked the Eco Tour on St John. What a beautiful island! We did some mild hiking seeing local flora/fauna, etc, stopped for a 30 min swim and then did some sightseeing around an old sugar mill before heading back. It was interesting.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Best day in St. Maarten... Last year we booked a day on the Random Wind, and it was fabulous! We sailed around the island, snorkeled/swam at a couple of different spots/beaches, watched planes fly in over Maho beach, and had a delicious lunch! Check out their website : www.randomwind.com

They also have a Tarzan swing that hangs from one of the spinnaker poles. It was so fun swinging off the side of the sail boat and splashing into the ocean!

The boat is owned by Diane... She is so gracious and a wonderful hostess, not to mention a great cook! This will forever be our excursion of choice when in St. Maarten! Seriously, one of our best days ever in the Caribbean!
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
PPink
Earning My Ears

Hey! We are on the same cruise too! Did not make any decisions about what to do yet planning to look into it today so keep the ideas coming. We will probably do dcl only since we are new to it. Second cruise for us but first time (Dream) we stayed on the ship and did the cc only.
PPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
alagille
Mouseketeer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgarv View Post
Best day in St. Maarten... Last year we booked a day on the Random Wind, and it was fabulous! We sailed around the island, snorkeled/swam at a couple of different spots/beaches, watched planes fly in over Maho beach, and had a delicious lunch! Check out their website : www.randomwind.com

They also have a Tarzan swing that hangs from one of the spinnaker poles. It was so fun swinging off the side of the sail boat and splashing into the ocean!

The boat is owned by Diane... She is so gracious and a wonderful hostess, not to mention a great cook! This will forever be our excursion of choice when in St. Maarten! Seriously, one of our best days ever in the Caribbean!

I am really hoping this is a good one too! We are going on the 10-5-13 Fantasy and have this same Random Wind sailing reserved for our St. Maarten day. I have ds7 and ds4.5 so I'm in the same "boat" as you. Hubby and I have reserved the St. John Champagne sail in St. Thomas for ourselves and are leaving the boys on the boat that day.
alagille is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Joining the conversation.

Debating what to do for our excursions. DS will be 5 and three weeks shy of 3 at our sailing in October.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
tluther5406
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierraskyler View Post
Hi,

We are sailing the Fantasy Sept 21-28 and I am starting to look at excursions and am quickly realizing we are limited as my son will be 3 weeks shy of 5... I know he would have no problem doing the excursions but because he is still 4 we are not able to book the ones that really looks good thru Disney..Anyone ever done an excursion similar to the Full Day Caribbean Sail & Snorkel to Turtle Cove & Honeymoon Beach... but booked independently??? Or any other suggestions for St Maarten or St John/ St Thomas for a great excursion for a family with a 4& 8 yr old that love the water and beach, as this is our first cruise I am a bit overwhelmed any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Just got off the Fantasy last weekend. We did the Disney excursions, Under Two Flags Island Tour and Afternoon Beach Bash on St. Maarten. The tour was ok to ride and get pictures, but I was extremely disappointed that the Island Tour did not include a stop at Maho Beach. From what I have read, Bernards is the way to go for a tour and stop there. I definitely wouldn't recommend the Afternoon Beach Bash because we were constantly annoyed by vendors on the beach wanting to braid my hair, give us massages, sell us t-shirts and jewelry, etc. I didn't feel like I could leave my possessions for fear of them being stolen by the army of "street" vendors. My husband and I took turns with our 7 yr old in the water because of it.

In St. Thomas, we did the Best of St Thomas Island Tour and Shopping. The tour was ok but included mostly stops at cheesy souvenir shops. The Butterfly Anytime was a hit with our son.
tluther5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
4butlers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgarv View Post

We have this reserved too for our November cruise! I've read nothing but great reviews! It looks like a blast. How was the travel time to and from the meeting place? Was it easy to get taxis?
For St. Thomas/St. John, we're planning on the Full Day Snorkel and Sail to Honeymoon Beach. Can't wait!!

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
2014-DLR
4butlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Regarding Random Wind... We met Diane at a marina which we walked to from the cruise ship. DH thinks it was Bobby's Marina. It was about a 10-ish minute walk. Diane is very aware of the ship's schedule so she will get you back in time!
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: