Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

Twelve Metre Regatta for Eastern Caribbean

Hi. My DH would love this port adventure. I am wondering how rough the ride would be. I adore boat rides but since neck and back surgeries complete with a plate and screws in my neck, my surgeon has banned me from roller coasters and jerky hard stuff. Has anyone here done this one? I was told I could just sit back and do nothing but I want to make sure the boat is not bouncing off waves too hard. Suggestions and advice please (don't want to do the nude beach scene LOL).
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
kuhawk88
N2Wine

I have done the America's Cup Regatta excursion on St. Maarten twice - and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. I do not recall it being particularly rough - but that obviously all depends on the sea conditions. And you are right - you can do as much or as little as you wish. The most physically demanding job on board is being a "grinder" where you are using your arms, shoulders and back. But you can also be a timer where you just operate the stop watch. If there is a decent wind that day - the boats will really lay over and "bury the rail" as it were. Very exhilarating to sail at 12+ knots!

HTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
Hi. My DH would love this port adventure. I am wondering how rough the ride would be. I adore boat rides but since neck and back surgeries complete with a plate and screws in my neck, my surgeon has banned me from roller coasters and jerky hard stuff. Has anyone here done this one? I was told I could just sit back and do nothing but I want to make sure the boat is not bouncing off waves too hard. Suggestions and advice please (don't want to do the nude beach scene LOL).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

We've done it and I thought it was great. It was less rough then a trip on Space Mountain.

You can be the bartender.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
serrem
Earning My Ears

I did it last week, and it was pretty rough. The winds were 20 knots or more, and there were some waves, even in the harbor, and a lot of motion. Not as jerky as most roller coasters, but you had to hold on, and at least one passenger on my boat got seasick.

The chances are that the wind and sea conditions won't be as severe when you do the excursion. From what the crew told me, these were unusual conditions. Both boats were reefed to about 50% of their normal sail area.

It was still a great experience. I'm a lifelong sailor, and sailing on a 12 metre yacht was one of my dreams. I was not disappointed. I will do it again.

The crew will assign jobs categorized as active or less active. If you tell them about your medical condition, I'm sure they'll give you an easier assignment, as some of the other posters have suggested, like timer or bartender.
serrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
E ticket rider
Ferb's Best Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
The ride on a performance racing sloop is directly dependent on wind strength and sea state. An upwind leg on a windy day in steep seas can be physically punishing, whether you're on the coffee grinders (toughest job on the boat) or providing libations to the crew. On a day with moderate to light winds and calm seas, the ride can be very relaxing. I've done this excursion twice and experienced a rough ride and a calmer ride. Both times were a blast, but to me, heavy seas and lots of wind is just awesome!!!

I'm sorry this doesn't provide a definitive answer to your question, but it can't really be answered until you are standing on the pier getting your pre-sail briefing.

This has been my favorite of any excursion I've done on any cruise.

"The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability" - Remy
E ticket rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
ndabunka
Earning My Ears

Also a sailor here and this was also one of my very favorite excursions of all time (and mine was back in 1996). Even though you don't HAVE to do any of the crew duties, ocean waves and tacking can be jarring even on a huge 12-meter ship so I would recommend against it but why not ask your doctor beforehand?
Disney Magic - July '01 (Bahamas)
Disney Wonder - May '00 (Bahamas)
RCL Monarch of the Seas - '93 (Eastern Caribbean)
NCL Sunward II - '91 (Bahamas)
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
perfectmatch300
United We Stand
Will ride anything with "roller coaster" in the name!

I just did this excursion in April and I loved it! I am also a sailor, and this has been on my bucket list for years! Sure tops anything I've ever sailed before!

As several previous posters have stated, how rough your ride will be will depend on the weather conditions of the day/time you sail. We had a pretty exciting, fun ride the day I sailed. There was a wide age range in our group, with me being near the top in our group. I chose a moderately active job and loved doing it. All of us thought this excursion was awesome! I would definitely do it again!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Did this a couple of years ago, on a fairly calm day. I was acting as a grinder on the midship windlass, which is an upright standing position. Even though the sea was relatively calm, the boat still heels over pretty good and the deck still gets slick from spray. I slipped once and twisted my back a little. Even with the slip, I still rate this as one of the best excursions I have ever done. If your doctor gives you the OK, I would definitely recommend it with the following caveat, make sure that you are able to sit somewhere, likely in the stern and probably the only sailing "job" I would take is the "Timer" position, which would allow you to sit and hold on with at least one hand at all times.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
awaflyboy
Earning My Ears

Does anyone have the times for this excursion? Will you be able to also do one of the island tours as well as this one?
awaflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
E ticket rider
Ferb's Best Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaflyboy View Post
Does anyone have the times for this excursion? Will you be able to also do one of the island tours as well as this one?
From pre-sail briefing & crew draw to rum punch at the gift shop, it's probably about 3 hours. I don't know how it lines up to the DCL excursion island tour times though. I met up with my family on the pier afterwards and we still had plenty of time to go into town to shop and check out the town. But we didn't try to go anywhere else on the island that day.

"The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability" - Remy
E ticket rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Pens Fan
Earning My Ears

We did this excursion last summer and my husband was still recovering from heart surgery. He was assigned "iceberg spotter" duties and he got to actually sit comfortably in the center of the boat. Be advised that most will be perched along the outer portions of the deck which requires bracing yourself somewhat. All that being said, we absolutely loved this!! I would guess the sea was moderately rough that day, but the ride was still relatively tame. As others have suggested, consult with your doctor. If you decide to do it, I hope you are as successful at keeping your crew away from icebergs as my dear hubby was!!
Pens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: