Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #31
omalley1118
DIS Veteran

This is always my worst fear about traveling!!!! I think I am traumatized now... Ours happened in WDW in 2011. We were there for 8 days. DH got horribly sick in the middle of day 6. He vomited non stop for 24 hours... I wasn't sure how we were going to get n a plane to get home. I was obsessed with getting through this without anyone else getting sick. I had him quarantined within our room away from the rest of us; not easy to do in a studio... I took the kids to a park and then pool and dinner without him on the 7th day. I also had to pack everything up by myself. Luckily by the time we left he had stopped vomiting, but of course he was so weak... The flight home thankfully was uneventful!!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #32
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalley1118
This is always my worst fear about traveling!!!! I think I am traumatized now... Ours happened in WDW in 2011. We were there for 8 days. DH got horribly sick in the middle of day 6. He vomited non stop for 24 hours... I wasn't sure how we were going to get n a plane to get home. I was obsessed with getting through this without anyone else getting sick. I had him quarantined within our room away from the rest of us; not easy to do in a studio... I took the kids to a park and then pool and dinner without him on the 7th day. I also had to pack everything up by myself. Luckily by the time we left he had stopped vomiting, but of course he was so weak... The flight home thankfully was uneventful!!
I have a long history of picking up viruses from these places. When my honey took me to two WDW base days before our 7 ccl, I kept an OCD eye on any of our snacking. I had grabbed a travel hand sanitizer that for whatever reason happened to be blueberry scented. I think he got irritated at the sight of it coming out of the back pack. Oh well! It was either that or track a bathroom down to wash. Sometimes he did, sometimes it was the hand sanitizer. I used not to care until I realizes that the food we eat (snack on grapes or French fries or sandwiches or pizza or burgers most times) its all hand food! And the snacks too. It must have worked because we got thru the entire 3 total days of WDW plus 7 day cruise with no bugs. (I'm also a vitamin person.) All the things we touch at those places... (The lil girl eating the Thunder Mtn Railroad line handrail comes to mind...)

When we we came back a month later for 1 hop day and 3 day DCL with Twinkie, I had already gotten a bug! (I was at a public gathering and a sweet lil girl climbed on me and slept on me. Who am I to deny the powers that be and show my husband "see kids DO like me!" It was after the fact that I found out grandma has given her a benedryl. Sleeping on my shoulder and my 'fate was sealed.') So here were are on Tues..I had to go to work that morning and then we drove for 12 hrs and my ears ached and popped all thru those lousy Chattanooga mountains.

The thing about getting sick is getting dehydrated. That's prob why we get sick at parks too because we don't want to pay $3 for a water bottle. Pay it! Its better than the alternative! (If you get dehydrated, your white blood cells are less able to flow around and get to fight off what they need. I never made the connection to not drinking and getting sick until December when I road tripped with my dogs and I and didn't drink much for 10 hrs so I wouldn't have to stop. -i gave them licks just not much for me.- and I got a full blown terrible upper respiratory the next day as soon as I got to moms house!)

OK so back to the car ride. I was still dealing with swollen lymph glands under through throat etc so while it wasn't bad, I knew it wasnt over. I only have 4 days with family so its got to go away. I get a box of those EmergenC powders and every hour or so I pop one in a water bottle and down it..that's hydration and super vitamins. When we got to airport at midnight and to hotel around one, I gave one to Twinkie to drink who had been at airports for 24 hrs . yucky there too. When i woke up, my ears were clear and my sore throat and swollen nodes were gone! I threw several more of those EmC packs in to my backpack for the park day. As I had hoped, each day I felt better and had a perfect trip! So I started out sick and recovered on vacation.

Some viruses are just going to take you out. But to try to mitigate it, use the hand sanitizer and washing EVERY single time you snack!! And drink plenty of fluids all day. And then if you want, grab a vitamin pack to drink/take with breakfast (in fact, we kinda double up so to speak for a week or two before the trip even) it is worth all the vigilance! Again stuff still happens but help your body help you.

I wish you all healthy and fun trips and do overs to those that need them!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #33
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
Come with, Cindy!!! Our Magic group was the best cruise group ever! Let's do it again!!!!
Awwwwww...thanks for the invite (and it is extremely tempting with you and Jen sailing...I agree, our group from that sailing was the best!). I wish we could swing it, but with my two weeks off in August (Chicago trip!) and then a week in October (Magic back from drydock) I seriously doubt I could swing another week off from work especially during that time. Those other weeks are not good timing either with state reporting for the school district...September on top of it would be brutal.

Have a margarita (or Rum Runner or whatever) for me!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #34
Laura24
Wants to live in Walt Disney's "Wonderful World of Living Color"!
I want to push the *Mickey Whistle* button while doing my *Going to SEA Mickey Dance*

Location: Past: Island Park (LI). Present: Northwest Jersey Future: TBD!

Yes,

totally feel your pain as I had a similar experience on the Western also. We started our vacation with 3 days at DW prior to cruise. Second day in the sore throat started then ears. By the time we got onboard I went directly to the ships Dr. to find I had double ear infection and the laryngitis had kicked in. Thankfully we had a verandah that trip because that's pretty much where I stayed. Missed all MDR's since I couldn't hear or speak and didn't want to spread any type of germs. Hubby was great bringing all of our meals back to our stateroom. We stayed onboard for all ports. We jsut chalked that one up to the roll of the dice and looked forward to the next one. It's true what they say....when you are sick, there's no place like home. Pixie dust for your next adventure.
... CASTAWAY CLUB PLATINUM
Laura24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

I can do the family and friend vacation but the rule is, see ya at dinner.

We can talk about your day and night, eat and enjoy life. One of the reasons I cruise is that I don't have to make decisions. With other folk, there is always a decision to make. And then of course no one wants to make one. Even on the ship, where are you eating lunch? Really, JUST GO EAT!

So, you plan your day and we will plan ours. See ya at dinner!

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 7, FANTASY - 3

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #36
LynseyK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
That's me. Got home from our Fantasy Western a week ago and started feeling like I needed a do-over before we ever got off the ship.

I started with sore throat on embarkation day. Ended up sick the entire cruise. Thank God for OTC antibiotics in Mexico. Hubby & oldest son got a nice case of some stomach thing or maybe food poisoning on the 5th night that they have finally gotten over in the past couple days. Not sure what they had or where they got it. Could've been from food, drink, or activities in ports. Could've been from food or germs on ship. No idea. Haven't heard back from doctor's office on hubby's lab results. On the way from the port to Orlando we got a call from the pet resort where we boarded our little dog that she was sick, too. When it rains it pours, huh?

We had fun and did some great stuff in Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, & Cozumel. Having 3 ports in a row with things planned for each was exhausting, tho. I think even without being sick it would've been tiring.

Just getting thru 2nd seating dinner was brutal. Hubby & I both got to the point where we'd ask for a simple salad then we were ready to go. Just couldn't enjoy the meals this time. Felt like I was focused entirely on fueling my body to get well. I really had no desire to eat. Mostly I just wanted coffee and hot tea. Or water. We saw no adult shows. We were in bed early every night.

We didn't do any of the adult areas during the day because we were resting or doing things with 2 of the 4 teens in our family/group. 2 of the 4 hated Vibe. We had fun with them so I won't complain there. My son being 17 & my niece 16, I know our opportunities to "hang out" w/them are limited.

Castaway Cay was a total bust. I'm still not sure how we even got in! It rained all day long. It was super windy. Rained sideways a good bit. We never left the ship. Kinda stunk looking off the verandah at a rainy, windy paradise. Being sick already , going out in the weather didn't feel like the thing to do. In fact, at Cabanas lunch that day hubby & I both agreed we were ready to be at home.

The cruise itself was great. Our lack of enjoyment was due to circumstances Disney has no control over. Other than Vibe, the cruise itself was great. Bad luck, I guess. We've had 4 amazing DCL voyages before this one. I suppose we needed to pay our dues, huh? LOL!

I've decided that people who say "A bad day on vacation is better than a good day at work/home" haven't been sick enough on vacation. LOL!

So I need a do-over. Before this cruise hubby & I were undecided what to do in September for our 20th anniversary. Not a problem now. We're doing our Fantasy do-over sans our teens. We left too much undone on the ship. Flights & hotel are booked and paid. Now we're waiting patiently to see if some *GT rates roll out. Think we'll not book a bunch of excursions before the cruise. I think there's a lot to be said for keeping it spontaneous.

So has anyone else ever had a cruise that happened without you? Anyone have any do-over tales to tell???
Aww I am so sorry to hear about your trip. I was actually on the exact same cruise as you. So I completely understand about the weather being crappy. I swear every time I go on vacation there is rain. I swear it rained half of the cruise. The only day I wanted it to be beautiful was Castaway Cay. My husband and I had actually booked a cabana for the island and if it would have not been for that we would have been right back on the boat. We just didnt want to waste that 500$. We just sat in it and stared at the water. Thankfully though it did clear up with 2 hours left on the island. I do feel like I want a do over and experience the ports and excursions in beautiful weather.
LynseyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: