Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
mastermind307
Mouseketeer

We just ate at Cape May last Saturday. We had it as our last meal before leaving. We were staying at BWV so it was a nice walk over. We thought the food was good and we saw Minnie, Goofy, and Donald. If we stay at one the EPCOT resort again we would go here again.

We also at at 50's PT. My mom and I split the sampler and it was enough for both of us. We wanted to get dessert to splitting the meal was perfect, no way I could have eaten dessert if I had a whole meal by myself.

We ate dinner at 1900 Park Fare because DD wanted to eat with Cinderella after doing BBB. The food was ok here, but not great. The strawberry soup was good. The characters weren't as good as I remember them being the last time. We probably won't return for dinner, but I would like to try breakfast sometime.

Since 1900 and Hoop De Doo are the most expensive, I'd probably get rid of one of those.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda T. View Post
We also liked Sci-Fi, Prime Time, and HDDR. We went to 1900 Park Fare in 2011 with the step sisters and they were fantastic but the food was not good. We will not go back.

You could do BOG for lunch (CS) if you can't get an evening reservation. But maybe if you keep trying, something will open up.

Our favorite breakfast buffet is Crystal Palace with Winnie the Pooh and friends. We love to walk down main street before the park has opened. It is just so neat to see the castle with no guests around and we have taken some great pictures during this time.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Thanks Linda! I have been trying to get a Crystal Palace ADR on our MK morning so we can get in early but nothing is available...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunches View Post
Oops, I meant photo opps. Stupid autocorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind307 View Post
We just ate at Cape May last Saturday. We had it as our last meal before leaving. We were staying at BWV so it was a nice walk over. We thought the food was good and we saw Minnie, Goofy, and Donald. If we stay at one the EPCOT resort again we would go here again.

We also at at 50's PT. My mom and I split the sampler and it was enough for both of us. We wanted to get dessert to splitting the meal was perfect, no way I could have eaten dessert if I had a whole meal by myself.

We ate dinner at 1900 Park Fare because DD wanted to eat with Cinderella after doing BBB. The food was ok here, but not great. The strawberry soup was good. The characters weren't as good as I remember them being the last time. We probably won't return for dinner, but I would like to try breakfast sometime.

Since 1900 and Hoop De Doo are the most expensive, I'd probably get rid of one of those.
Thanks! Did you eat Cape May breakfast or lunch? Right now we have it as our late breakfast at 10 on the day we check out.

Love the picture too!!
HBGdancermom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #18
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGdancermom View Post

Funny! I had Tuskar House and cancelled it....but it was lunch

I think I definately need to eliminate either Sci Fi or Prime.... My DD loves the stepsisters and that is the only reason I have 1900 Prime booked. But then again, that is an expensive dinner...

Thanks for your help!
Hi there!!!!! We just got back from WDW just over a week ago. Myself ds13, ds13 & ds9. We had ADR for both sci-fi and Prime because I couldn't choose (never been before) so everyone liked the food at both prime & sci-fi. Prime time has more of a home cooked yummy to it & my boys got a kick out of there new names: Skippy, skeeter & scooter. But, when we go again my boys vote for sci-fi... The cars are cool, it's quiet and they have awesome burgers! I think we will try Tusker on our next trip for breakfast. We LOVED HDDR all 3 of my boys thought that was a big part of the trip, since they called us out alot. Have a great time!!!!!
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboyz3 View Post
Hi there!!!!! We just got back from WDW just over a week ago. Myself ds13, ds13 & ds9. We had ADR for both sci-fi and Prime because I couldn't choose (never been before) so everyone liked the food at both prime & sci-fi. Prime time has more of a home cooked yummy to it & my boys got a kick out of there new names: Skippy, skeeter & scooter. But, when we go again my boys vote for sci-fi... The cars are cool, it's quiet and they have awesome burgers! I think we will try Tusker on our next trip for breakfast. We LOVED HDDR all 3 of my boys thought that was a big part of the trip, since they called us out alot. Have a great time!!!!!
Awesome!!! Thanks... I can only imagine my kids laughing over the names...
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #20
Kaykool101
Mouseketeer

I was wondering if you could share some of the logic behind why you chose the restaurants you did. It would better inform my suggestions for which ones you should sacrifice, if it comes to that, but let's hope it doesn't.
Kaykool101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #21
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykool101 View Post
I was wondering if you could share some of the logic behind why you chose the restaurants you did. It would better inform my suggestions for which ones you should sacrifice, if it comes to that, but let's hope it doesn't.
Sure!! With Hoop De Doo it just seemed like classic disney and I thought my DH and kids would enjoy the show. With Prime Time I thought it seemed to get pretty good reviews and very interactive. For Sci-Fi, I thought the kids would get a kick out of the cars however I was kind if concerned that the old movies would freak out DD. Cape May, convenience since we r at BC and the characters seemed cute. 1900 PF just because my DD loves the step sisters.

I am leaning towards ditching Sci Fi and 1900 at this point. I am open to other suggestions as well.

We are not hard to please or too picky when it comes to food.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #22
dandave
The more I travel, the more I appreciate coming home.

50's is a very good and cheap, by Disney standards, TS lunch.
I didn't care for the 1900's PF breakfast. Haven't done lunch.
Haven't done Sci Fi.
Love HDD. I'm not sure about the seating category/time available with the dining plan, though.
Cape May is great for a buffet dinner. Haven't done breakfast.

We also like Boma for dinner. Kouzzina is just over at the Boardwalk and very good, too. Flying Fish is fantastic.

If you are taking the free dining discount instead of a resort discount, your best bang for the buck will be to do some dinner buffets with those four adults and a child instead of breakfasts. Otherwise, you'll want to look closely at the numbers.

WDW Visits: June '96 Offsite,June '97 Offsite, Oct '97 SOG,May '00 Offsite/AS Sports,Jan '01 Wyndham/Poly/AS Music,May '01 Dolphin/AKL , Aug '01 PO-FQ, Dec '01 BWV,Aug '02 WL, Aug '02 BC,Oct '02 WL, Jan/Feb '04 PC, May'04 SOG, Oct/Nov '04 PC and SOG, Jan '06 SOG, May '06 CSR, Sept/Oct '06 AS Music, Sept '07 PC , Jan '08 AS Sports, Feb '08 POFQ, June '08 OKW, Aug '08 BCV, AS Sports March/April '09, June '10 SSR, July '11 OKW , March '12 PC and SOG , July '12 AKL , Sept '12 AofA Nemo , June '13 OKW

Universal Orlando Visits: March 2006 RPR, May '07 RPR CL

Last edited by dandave; 06-12-2013 at 03:00 AM.
dandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #23
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Is 1900 Park Fare open for lunch? I didn't think that it was.

Quote:
Here goes (not in any particular order)

Sci Fi - lunch
Prime time - lunch
1900 Park Fare - lunch
Hoop De Doo revue - dinner
Camp May - breakfast

I originally wanted Chef Mickeys for breakfast and BOG but didn't get either of those.

Thanks for your help! Also, I am up for suggestions or opinions on any others.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #24
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandave View Post
50's is a very good and cheap, by Disney standards, TS lunch.
I didn't care for the 1900's PF breakfast. Haven't done lunch.
Haven't done Sci Fi.
Love HDD. I'm not sure about the seating category/time available with the dining plan, though.
Cape May is great for a buffet dinner. Haven't done breakfast.

We also like Boma for dinner. Kouzzina is just over at the Boardwalk and very good, too. Flying Fish is fantastic.

If you are taking the free dining discount instead of a resort discount, your best bang for the buck will be to do some dinner buffets with those four adults and a child instead of breakfasts. Otherwise, you'll want to look closely at the numbers.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Is 1900 Park Fare open for lunch? I didn't think that it was.
Yep, you're right....Dinner for 1900 (not lunch)
Old 06-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #25
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yep, you're right....Dinner for 1900 (not lunch)
That's what I thought.

From your list, I would choose 1900, Sci Fi and Cape May.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Kaykool101
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sure!! With Hoop De Doo it just seemed like classic disney and I thought my DH and kids would enjoy the show. With Prime Time I thought it seemed to get pretty good reviews and very interactive. For Sci-Fi, I thought the kids would get a kick out of the cars however I was kind if concerned that the old movies would freak out DD. Cape May, convenience since we r at BC and the characters seemed cute. 1900 PF just because my DD loves the step sisters.

I am leaning towards ditching Sci Fi and 1900 at this point. I am open to other suggestions as well.

We are not hard to please or too picky when it comes to food.

Thanks
I have never done Hoop De Doo, but if you are looking for classic Disney I agree it is a good choice.

I asked for additional information about your choices because I think each selection you have made has different strong points. For example, Prime Time is a very good themed meal with the potential for some fun cast member interaction. That being said, you're not guaranteed great server interaction. Whispering Canyon and Prime Time both rely on a great server who is on their game to pull off that extra magic. On my last trip, the Whispering Canyon server was just so-so and the Prime Time server was great. The trip before, it was reversed. If you are looking just to try a meal with a server driven experience and you are trying to keep the actual price tag on the meal down, then consider Whispering Canyon Cafe for Breakfast. Entrees range $10 to $15 at Whispering Canyon Breakfast vs. $15 to $20 at Prime Time. I am not saying the restaurants are just alike or that Prime Time isn't worth the price tag. But if you end up not doing the dining plan and need to keep your table service within a budget, this might be a way to get in more dining experiences while staying in budget.

Another suggestion would be to share meals at Prime Time and Sci Fi. Portions tend to be generous and most families won't clean their plates if everyone orders a meal. So if you want to maximize the number of restaurants you visit and minimize the hit to your wallet. Maybe consider splitting entrees at each restaurant, so you can keep both in your plan. Another suggestion would be to visit one restaurant or both for a snack only. For example, go to Prime Time and split a shake and dessert. You do not have to order a full meal. This lets you keep the experience in your itinerary without blowing the budget.

Sci Fi is a neat restaurant. If you are looking for burgers and not sick of them or hugely opposed to Disney burgers, then the themeing makes up for alot. Personally, I cannot stand the food. But I am a little more picky and you said you tend to be laid back. I like burgers, but the ones I have had there just weren't good enough to justify the cost. That being said. I make reservations for this restaurant every trip. I won't order a meal but it is great for a milk shake and the appetizers tend to be pretty good. But even more than the themeing or the food, the cold dark restaurant is a welcome relief from the Florida heat and a tough day of touring. I think this experience does more to recharge your batteries than Prime Time does. However, Prime Time's food is much better.

The old movies are clips and the effects are so bad and they jump around so much, I think your daughter will be fine. If you are worried, you can go on you tube and show her some of the clips before you go and see how she handles it. If it freaks her out, then definitely skip this restaurant until she is a little older.

I have never been to Cape May, but if you are looking for a convenient character breakfast, I think you have made a good choice.

1900 Park Fare Dinner is expensive. However, since you mentioned your daughter loves the step sisters specifically, then I would consider leaving it in. The reason being that the characters your children react to are the pictures and the memories that you will treasure the most. So if your kids aren't crazy about Mickey Mouse, I would drop Cape May before dropping 1900 Park Fare. Mickey is all over the parks, you can get pics with the Fab 5 if you want them. The step sister's are a little harder to find and so I think you will treasure that experience just a little bit more.

So my recommendation for the chopping block would be Cape May. And then share or just do snacks at Prime Time and Sci Fi.

Hope this helps and that I didn't just confuse you more.
Kaykool101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #27
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykool101 View Post
I have never done Hoop De Doo, but if you are looking for classic Disney I agree it is a good choice.

I asked for additional information about your choices because I think each selection you have made has different strong points. For example, Prime Time is a very good themed meal with the potential for some fun cast member interaction. That being said, you're not guaranteed great server interaction. Whispering Canyon and Prime Time both rely on a great server who is on their game to pull off that extra magic. On my last trip, the Whispering Canyon server was just so-so and the Prime Time server was great. The trip before, it was reversed. If you are looking just to try a meal with a server driven experience and you are trying to keep the actual price tag on the meal down, then consider Whispering Canyon Cafe for Breakfast. Entrees range $10 to $15 at Whispering Canyon Breakfast vs. $15 to $20 at Prime Time. I am not saying the restaurants are just alike or that Prime Time isn't worth the price tag. But if you end up not doing the dining plan and need to keep your table service within a budget, this might be a way to get in more dining experiences while staying in budget.

Another suggestion would be to share meals at Prime Time and Sci Fi. Portions tend to be generous and most families won't clean their plates if everyone orders a meal. So if you want to maximize the number of restaurants you visit and minimize the hit to your wallet. Maybe consider splitting entrees at each restaurant, so you can keep both in your plan. Another suggestion would be to visit one restaurant or both for a snack only. For example, go to Prime Time and split a shake and dessert. You do not have to order a full meal. This lets you keep the experience in your itinerary without blowing the budget.

Sci Fi is a neat restaurant. If you are looking for burgers and not sick of them or hugely opposed to Disney burgers, then the themeing makes up for alot. Personally, I cannot stand the food. But I am a little more picky and you said you tend to be laid back. I like burgers, but the ones I have had there just weren't good enough to justify the cost. That being said. I make reservations for this restaurant every trip. I won't order a meal but it is great for a milk shake and the appetizers tend to be pretty good. But even more than the themeing or the food, the cold dark restaurant is a welcome relief from the Florida heat and a tough day of touring. I think this experience does more to recharge your batteries than Prime Time does. However, Prime Time's food is much better.

The old movies are clips and the effects are so bad and they jump around so much, I think your daughter will be fine. If you are worried, you can go on you tube and show her some of the clips before you go and see how she handles it. If it freaks her out, then definitely skip this restaurant until she is a little older.

I have never been to Cape May, but if you are looking for a convenient character breakfast, I think you have made a good choice.

1900 Park Fare Dinner is expensive. However, since you mentioned your daughter loves the step sisters specifically, then I would consider leaving it in. The reason being that the characters your children react to are the pictures and the memories that you will treasure the most. So if your kids aren't crazy about Mickey Mouse, I would drop Cape May before dropping 1900 Park Fare. Mickey is all over the parks, you can get pics with the Fab 5 if you want them. The step sister's are a little harder to find and so I think you will treasure that experience just a little bit more.

So my recommendation for the chopping block would be Cape May. And then share or just do snacks at Prime Time and Sci Fi.

Hope this helps and that I didn't just confuse you more.
Thank you so much for your opinions! They are very helpful!!
I never even thought of just going for dessert/app?! Do I still need the ADR to do that? Do they care what you order? My kids are burger fans so that is good to know about Sci - Fi.

The one reason I think I want to leave 1900 Park Fare in because she loves the stepsisters and that is what she still talks about from last time we were there. That time we just saw them for 10 minutes in the park too! I am gathering though that the food is not that great so I will have to be fine with that if we keep it.

Have never even given Whispering Canyon a thought so I will check on that one.

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I think that if you're looking for the best character meal for kids your ages, 1900 Park Fare is the way to go. I'd be shocked if one of the stepsisters doesn't try to get one of your sons to propose. It's always been a great time, but no the food isn't the best. We know going in that it's about the characters and we're never disappointed.

Cape May would be a great ending to the trip.

The Hoop dee Doo is awesome, but it'll be there for the next trip right? Your kids may only want to dine with characters for a short time.

As a previous posted stated, try BoG for lunch. You might have to wait in line for a bit, but you get the experience without the tough to get ADR.

50s and Sci Fi would both be fun, but again they'll still be there if you choose to skip them this time around.

I think you're making solid choices. If you do get free dining though-well we'll have some work to do! It's so fun to plan isn't it??
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #29
bc133
Mouseketeer

We have eaten at SciFi for lunch (twice & love it), 1900 Park Fare was so fun & the food was better than expected (the characters were awesome!!), hoop de doo was great (and we got to participate). The others I've never done-sounds like you've made se great choices! We always like to try new places & it sounds like you have a good mixture! Have fun!!!

WLV May 2009
AMu Oct 2010
SSR Feb 2011
SSR Oct 2012
DVC member spring 2013 BLT
bc133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #30
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
I think that if you're looking for the best character meal for kids your ages, 1900 Park Fare is the way to go. I'd be shocked if one of the stepsisters doesn't try to get one of your sons to propose. It's always been a great time, but no the food isn't the best. We know going in that it's about the characters and we're never disappointed.

Cape May would be a great ending to the trip.

The Hoop dee Doo is awesome, but it'll be there for the next trip right? Your kids may only want to dine with characters for a short time.

As a previous posted stated, try BoG for lunch. You might have to wait in line for a bit, but you get the experience without the tough to get ADR.

50s and Sci Fi would both be fun, but again they'll still be there if you choose to skip them this time around.

I think you're making solid choices. If you do get free dining though-well we'll have some work to do! It's so fun to plan isn't it??
Thanks for your post! My boys would love a proposal from one of the step sisters... Okay, I might definitely keep that since the food in not that important to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc133 View Post
We have eaten at SciFi for lunch (twice & love it), 1900 Park Fare was so fun & the food was better than expected (the characters were awesome!!), hoop de doo was great (and we got to participate). The others I've never done-sounds like you've made se great choices! We always like to try new places & it sounds like you have a good mixture! Have fun!!!
Thanks! I am feeling better now!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: