Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #1951
dama2000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
It depends on how your FE group is set up. On our last cruise, there was so much interest that it was decided to divide into two groups. In our group there were 16 staterooms (15 + us). Every was to give gifts to each stateroom in our group of 15. Whether they gave gifts to each person or each stateroom was up to each person.

HTH,
Dreams
thanks for the info
dama2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #1952
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

I've never participated in an FE exchange but I see people make amazing items and spend a lot of time and even money. I make passport holders for my family's and CC photo postcards from an aerial shot of the Dream I took while parasailing. I wonder if either of these items is too cheap? I don't have a lot of time due to work and an active 3YO. Any feedback is welcomed.

Here are the links to larger images:
Passport Holder
Photo Postcard

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83

Last edited by 2disneycruzrs; 06-10-2013 at 10:36 PM.
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #1953
erk711
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2disneycruzrs View Post
I've never participated in an FE exchange but I see people make amazing items and spend a lot of time and even money. I make passport holders for my family's and CC photo postcards from an aerial shot of the Dream I took while parasailing. I wonder if either of these items is too cheap? I don't have a lot of time due to work and an active 3YO. Any feedback is welcomed.

Passport Holder
Photo Postcard
I think those are both great! I'd enjoy them.
Celebrated 25th Anniversary sailing on the Pacific Pixar Wonder Cruise Sept 30/12
Celebrated DS 19th Birthday sailing to Alaska on the Wonder August 19/13
Celebrating DD 19th Birthday sailing on the Dream to Nassau May 4/15
erk711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #1954
twokats
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Passport Holder
Photo Postcard
I think both are very nice and not cheap to me at all!!!

DCL (Magic, Southern Caribbean & Repo B2B), VWL - October 2014: AKL (Jambo Concierge), DCL (Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean) - September 2014: VWL - Dec 2013: DL (Grand Californian), DCL (Wonder, LA/Galveston PC Repo) - Sept 2013: DCL (Magic, Cozumel) - Feb 2013: VWL - Sept 2012: VWL, DCL (Fantasy, Western Caribbean) - May 2012: AKV, SSR - Dec 2011: DCL (Wonder, NYE Eastern Caribbean) - Dec 2010/Jan 2011: AKV, SSR - Dec 2009: AKV, DCL (Wonder, Bahama), VWL - May/June 2009: VWL - 2007: WL - 2004: WL - 2001: Dixie Landing - 1998: Offsite - 1987

twokats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #1955
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the quick feedback - I may go ahead and participate if our cruise gets one together.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #1956
s3rndpt
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Passport Holder
Photo Postcard
I would definitely use those, especially the Passport Holder. What a great idea!
s3rndpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #1957
Runyan4
Earning My Ears

Smile Fish extenders list questions.

New to DIS and have a DCL fish extenders question.

We are planning a large family cruise for my moms retirement. It will be many of our groups 1st cruise but everyone's 1st Disney Cruise.

We are doing the fish extenders but we have a question about the list. When you sign up and the list is made will you know which family (all their names) will be in which cabin? We want to maybe personalize one of our gifts but before we decide what we are going to do we want to know this question.
Thanks
Runyan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #1958
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runyan4 View Post

We are planning a large family cruise for my moms retirement. It will be many of our groups 1st cruise but everyone's 1st Disney Cruise.

We are doing the fish extenders but we have a question about the list. When you sign up and the list is made will you know which family (all their names) will be in which cabin? We want to maybe personalize one of our gifts but before we decide what we are going to do we want to know this question.
Thanks
Cabin numbers are usually included on the FE lists - the only time you might not have a cabin number from the start is if the family has booked GTY cabins, and then the cabin numbers should be updated as soon as they are assigned.

When I manage FE groups, I include columns for first & last names as well as favorite characters to help out those who would like to personalize a bit more.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #1959
Rozzy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runyan4 View Post

Thanks
In our FE group for our cruise, the person who is managing the FE list has made a spreadsheet with columns that include first names, last names, children's names and ages, cabin number, favourite characters, what is being celebrated, if anything. It is great to have as much info as possible for those of us that would like to tailor their gifts to each person or family.

Have fun!

Rozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #1960
DisneyBride1214
Mouseketeer

I am new at FE's and I love to do homemade stuff. Are there any good patterns out there for Fish Extenders. I would prefer not to buy since I have several of my family going for wedding/family cruise and everyone wants to participate. But of course they want me to make them...lol

I would be so forever grateful if someone can either provide me with a nice pattern or direct me to somewhere with patterns. You can email me at nanasb1214@yahoo.com if you would like. Thank you so much!!!!

DisneyBride1214 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #1961
DisneyBride1214
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgirl83 View Post
After several requests I have finally gotten around to writing the directions to how I did it. What I did is very similar to the directions on earlier posts so those provided great guidance.

Supplies:

2 yards of fabric (two colors Ė one yard each)
Double fold bias tape
Dowell Rod
Iron-On Patches
1 Package of Iron-On Interfacing
1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew Ultra Hold 7/8 in. hem
1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew 1 Yard
Various Colors of Ribbon

1. Cut fabric to be used as the body of the FE to be 8 in. wide by 58 in. in length. When folded the FE will be 29 in. in length.
2. Cut fabric for the three pockets, cut each pocket 11 in. wide by 12 in. in length. When folded each pocked will be 6 in. in length.
3. On the inside of the FE body piece and each pocket iron on the interfacing. Once cooled completely I ironed on the sheet of Heat-n-Bond cut 8 in. by 29 in. to the inside of the body of the FE.
4. On each of the 3 folded pockets I made pleats so that the pockets were 2 in.-pleat-4 in.-pleat 2 in. To secure the pleats I used the Heat-n-Bond Ultrahold hem. This was done on the cut side so that the top edge would be folded and clean.
5. Next I used the heat-n-bond hem to add 8 in. strips of the double fold bias tape to the bottom of each pocket.
6. Next I lined up the pockets on the body of the FE starting 8 in. from the top and then about 1 in. apart. I market the spots with a pencil and secured the bottom and sides of the pockets using the heat-n-bond hem.
7. Once all cooled. I used the double fold bias tape for the perimeter of the body of the FE which again was secured using the iron on hem.
8. Once cooled I ironed on the patches to each of the pockets.
9. I then folded down the top of the FE about 2 inches and secured to the back of the FE by the iron-on hem creating a little opening to insert the dowel rod.
10. Using the multicolored ribbon I made it long enough so that the FE would hang approximately 7-8 in. from a hanger.
11. For our names I bough iron-on computer paper and printed the names on the computer. Then I cut and surrounded the paper with double fold bias tape attached using the iron-on hem. Finally I ironed on the name piece.

I think thatís all. Iíve never tried to write directions for anything like this before. Everything I used I bought from either Wal-Mart, Michaels, or Joannís Fabrics.

Here's the picture again of the final result.
Do you have a picture of this FE so I can see the turnout?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #1962
maggie_sam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBride1214 View Post
I am new at FE's and I love to do homemade stuff. Are there any good patterns out there for Fish Extenders. I would prefer not to buy since I have several of my family going for wedding/family cruise and everyone wants to participate. But of course they want me to make them...lol

I would be so forever grateful if someone can either provide me with a nice pattern or direct me to somewhere with patterns. You can email me at nanasb1214@yahoo.com if you would like. Thank you so much!!!!
Hope these help, here are some:

Conversation started Monday

10:35pm
Margaret Williams Sampson
This is from the DisBoards, Disney Cruise Line Forum, thanks to DisGirl: No-Sew FE
After several requests I have finally gotten around to writing the directions to how I did it. What I did is very similar to the directions on earlier posts so those provided great guidance.
Supplies:
2 yards of fabric (two colors Ė one yard each)
Double fold bias tape
Dowell Rod
Iron-On Patches
1 Package of Iron-On Interfacing
1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew Ultra Hold 7/8 in. hem
1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew 1 Yard
Various Colors of Ribbon
1. Cut fabric to be used as the body of the FE to be 8 in. wide by 58 in. in length. When folded the FE will be 29 in. in length.
2. Cut fabric for the three pockets, cut each pocket 11 in. wide by 12 in. in length. When folded each pocked will be 6 in. in length.
3. On the inside of the FE body piece and each pocket iron on the interfacing. Once cooled completely I ironed on the sheet of Heat-n-Bond cut 8 in. by 29 in. to the inside of the body of the FE.
4. On each of the 3 folded pockets I made pleats so that the pockets were 2 in.-pleat-4 in.-pleat 2 in. To secure the pleats I used the Heat-n-Bond Ultrahold hem. This was done on the cut side so that the top edge would be folded and clean.
5. Next I used the heat-n-bond hem to add 8 in. strips of the double fold bias tape to the bottom of each pocket.
6. Next I lined up the pockets on the body of the FE starting 8 in. from the top and then about 1 in. apart. I market the spots with a pencil and secured the bottom and sides of the pockets using the heat-n-bond hem.
7. Once all cooled. I used the double fold bias tape for the perimeter of the body of the FE which again was secured using the iron on hem.
8. Once cooled I ironed on the patches to each of the pockets.
9. I then folded down the top of the FE about 2 inches and secured to the back of the FE by the iron-on hem creating a little opening to insert the dowel rod.
10. Using the multicolored ribbon I made it long enough so that the FE would hang approximately 7-8 in. from a hanger.
11. For our names I bough iron-on computer paper and printed the names on the computer. Then I cut and surrounded the paper with double fold bias tape attached using the iron-on hem. Finally I ironed on the name piece.
I think thatís all. Iíve never tried to write directions for anything like this before. Everything I used I bought from either Wal-Mart, Michaels, or Joannís Fabrics.

This has pictures and great instructions:
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=27

Finally, Ikea sells a pocket hanger that many have redesigned as an FE. Here is an example of a really nice conversion (this is on FB, hope I can post the link here): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1673...al_comments=21

Hope it helps!

DisneyWorld 1972, Disneyland 1973, Disneyland 1980, Fort Wilderness 1986, DisneyWorld 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2004, Disney Wonder October 2010, Contemporary & Saratoga Springs 2010, Disney Magic September 2012, Bay Lake Tower September 2013, Disney Dream September 2013, Boardwalk Villas May 2014
maggie_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #1963
DisneyBride1214
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much Maggiesam! This is very helpful and gives me some great ideas!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #1964
4HOLIDAYS
DIS Veteran

Om my gosh! I now found a second thread of all kinds of FE ideas! Thse 2 threads should keep me busy for the rest of the week.
4HOLIDAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #1965
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HOLIDAYS View Post
Om my gosh! I now found a second thread of all kinds of FE ideas! Thse 2 threads should keep me busy for the rest of the week.
There are a few fish extender groups on Facebook too, just in case you get through these threads too quickly.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: