Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #76
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

I don't think the volcano has been flowing into the ocean recently. Even last year when we were on the PoA we didn't do the night time sail by bc there was nothing to see
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #77
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinknalli View Post
They did offer some special rates in NYC for certain cruises (I do remember some shorter New England cruises in September Starting at $500 pp, maybe others), but nothing like kids sail free or OBB credits or special sailings with Pixar characters that they offered in other ports and they did not pull out early. The longer Bahamas cruises seemed to sell it a high price point compared to the Galveston and CA. I know that I looked to sail out of NYC and it was cheaper for me to fly to MCO and sail on the Fantasy than drive to NYC and cruise. I think that resident discounts are far more prevalent in FL than we saw in NYC. Some sailings out of NYC were downright crazy in their pricing.
agreed about the pricing, though we didn't have to book airfare and hotel so pricing actually seemed the same for us.
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #78
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleophus12 View Post
I don't think the volcano has been flowing into the ocean recently. Even last year when we were on the PoA we didn't do the night time sail by bc there was nothing to see
We did however do the Napali coastline.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #79
jenny_nichole
Mouseketeer

Agreed that Balitmore or NYC port would be great! It would be awesome to skip the long road trip to FL!

jenny_nichole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #80
deanimal
DIS Veteran

Long drive? I'd love to have a Disney ship only a long drive away! Currently all four ships are a six hour flight away from us for most of the year. (Although according to Google maps, we could get to Orlando in 51 hours if we drove nonstop!)

You'd think that with four ships they could at least spare one for the West coast year round. Three months in Alaska and a couple of repo cruises just sin't enough!
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #81
tmgandolph
Mouseketeer

Baltimore and the two bridge clearances

So a Disney cruise out of Baltimore would seem doable - at least where the height of the Disney Wonder and the two bridges are concerned.

Using my GoogleFU I found:

Disney Wonder Gross Tonnage: 83,000 tons | Length: 964 feet | Beam: 106 feet | Draft: 25.3 feet | Height: 171.5 feet

Francis Scott Key Bridge (harbor/bay entrance) is 185 vertical clearance for navigation. Chesapeake Bay Bridge (aka William Preston- twin span by Naval Academy) is charted as 186 vertical clearance for navigation.

So it would clear the bridges.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #82
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
Long drive? I'd love to have a Disney ship only a long drive away! Currently all four ships are a six hour flight away from us for most of the year. (Although according to Google maps, we could get to Orlando in 51 hours if we drove nonstop!)

You'd think that with four ships they could at least spare one for the West coast year round. Three months in Alaska and a couple of repo cruises just sin't enough!
Ditto! I just had to look and found out we are a 33 hour drive away from Port Canaveral. Wow...only 33 hrs! I'm sad the Galveston cruises aren't selling because most likely, we will take our first cruise this fall out of there. At least we are only 18 hours from the port in Galveston!
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #83
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Original rumors of 'two new ships' were based on the dry docks of both Magic and Wonder. But when the time came to announce these, only the Magic was mentioned. Further, there's been recent changes in the late fall itineraries. Originally, the Wonder was blacked out from Oct to Dec 2014. Flyers did make it to the ships that showed it doing 7n Western out of PC during Nov-Dec. The Fantasy already has 7n Eastern during that time.

But a few days ago, things got moved around and the Magic will swap with the Wonder and do those 7n Western. The Wonder will be based of Miami instead. Basically, put the oldest ship (or least renewed one) down in Miami, as most will rather sail out of PC.

So my guess is that the Wonder's dry dock is delayed, and may well be until after the channel is expanded, assuming it will also be getting a bigger tail. It can then continue to do Alaska without issues. Unless the dry dock does happen in early 2015. If so, they might not schedule Alaska in the event the channel is not expanded on time.
I Know we will never know what happened, but does anyone think DCL had plans to do the updates on the Wonder and only when internet message boards started to mention that the Wonder would be too big to fit through the Panama Canal did DCL realized there were issues, and then had to redo all the schedules for the Fall 2014?

I just don't understand how things like this can happen. I need to homeschool my kids so I don't need to travel during peak times and book so far out, because things like this really make me question booking far in advance.

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #84
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post

Ditto! That would be so cool with an Alaska cruises, than change and do up/down west coast. San Diego, LA, San Fran. With a Disney day, or 2! That would be COOL! We did the Wonder on her first repo to Vancouver and it was awesome.
Spwhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #85
mwins78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamere1496 View Post
I would love to see them come to Boston!! So many of us New Englanders are always flying to Florida to cruise DCL!! They could sail Boston to Bermuda or the Canadian itineraries as well! Boston is a great city full of history...a place that people would love to explore.
I agree 100%

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
mwins78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #86
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post
I Know we will never know what happened, but does anyone think DCL had plans to do the updates on the Wonder and only when internet message boards started to mention that the Wonder would be too big to fit through the Panama Canal did DCL realized there were issues, and then had to redo all the schedules for the Fall 2014?

I just don't understand how things like this can happen. I need to homeschool my kids so I don't need to travel during peak times and book so far out, because things like this really make me question booking far in advance.
DCL knows how long the Wonder is and that the refurbished length wouldn't fit through the existing Canal locks. She barely fits through now! I suspect that when the Wonder went through the Panama Canal last month they got a good look at the PanaMax (new locks under construction), had a heart-to-heart talk with the pilots who guide the ships through the Canal, and realized there's no way they'll finish on schedule.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #87
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post

DCL knows how long the Wonder is and that the refurbished length wouldn't fit through the existing Canal locks. She barely fits through now! I suspect that when the Wonder went through the Panama Canal last month they got a good look at the PanaMax (new locks under construction), had a heart-to-heart talk with the pilots who guide the ships through the Canal, and realized there's no way they'll finish on schedule.
Yup.

I highly doubt the DIS boards pointed anything new out. It's due to the fact that the locks are behind schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: