Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter or Sea Lion Encounter

Good morning everyone,

I want to surprise my 10 and 8 year old boys with a port adventure in Nassua.

Originally we were going to stay on board but this is our first cruise and first trip to the Bahamas.

I was going to do the Atlantis tour but want to surprise the boys with something they will never forget.

Which encounter would you recommend and why?

Blue Lagoon Dolphin encounter or Sea Lion encounter?

Thanks so much

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Both are great IMO....but if I had to choose one, I would say Dolphin Encounter.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

We did the Blue Lagoon Sealion Encounter and loved it. Do the morning one and stay for the beach all afternoon
Old 06-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffieldhockeymom
We did the Blue Lagoon Sealion Encounter and loved it. Do the morning one and stay for the beach all afternoon
The sea lion gets you hugs and kisses with a sea lion but you don't really swim with them. Therefore it is good for those who are unsure about swimming with a big animal etc. And it's still super fun and amazing. The dolphin was fully in the water with a life jacket doing superman across the water with two dolphins pushing you! Really something. Two different experiences. With both, you could see by their/our faces, that every guest was having an incredible time of their lives! We chose Sea Lion cuz Nassau is the only place I have seen it offered. You do see dolphins in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and other places. Sea lion was different and unique and super fun. Still, I would go back and do the dolphins too because it was a great encounter compared to others I've seen. Prob can't go wrong either way!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Girlie1
DIS Veteran

I think there are two different dolphin choices at Blue Lagoon. I think one is called the dolphin encounter which is like the sea lion encounter where you get up close and get hugs/kisses and then there is also a dolphin swim which was described above with life jackets and the dolphins push you in the water. We are signed up for the dolphin encounter for our trip at the end of the month. The dolphin swim was already booked up by the time I figured out what I was supposed to do. This is our first cruise.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
clten
DIS Veteran

We've done both encounters. (Yes, the dolphin encounter is very different than the dolphin swim.) Between them, for a one time experience, I would choose the sea lions. First it isn't offered in as many locations as the dolphin encounters are. So it might be easier to do the dolphins at a later time if you decide not to go back to Nassau. Then the group is smaller. I also thought the program itself was better (slip in a little education before they meet the sea lions) and I thought there was more interaction with the sea lions (maybe because our group was very small - 8 people if I remember)
clten is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: