Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
owensamo
DIS Veteran

We've always had great luck with our tablemates. There's always a child my DD's age (within a couple of years) placed at our table, and typically the adults have something in common as well - similar jobs, similar backgrounds, etc. It's been pretty amazing in general, considering all but once it was luck of the draw! On one cruise we even ended up with someone on our DIS meet forum at our table - completely unplanned!

The only time DD didn't really hang out with a tablemate in the club were our first couple of cruises - the first one she was only 5, so more interested in playing and the second one the child her age was a boy who slept through our late dinners so she didn't really get a chance to meet him!
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
Boogabuzz & Disneynme: I'm completely with you. Before my DD arrived, Dh and & I used dinner time to connect. Chat about our rose & thorn and really involve ourselves in hearing one another. I don't vacay to make "friends." I may be a complete brat but I don't care where you're from or what you do. I'm here to focus on my husband while we are both disconnected (literally) from work. And now with DD's arrival, it's all about our family and connecting. I do enjoy meeting people and network/meet people all the time. At a bar, listening to music in the lobby, or in line for the aquaduck, I do want to learn about and from you. Dinnertime though is family time.
AMEN! That is exactly how I feel. I promise I'm not a rude or selfish person...It's just that I am not going on a cruise to meet people. I'm there because I love when my DH and I can just relax and enjoy each other. And honestly, part of why DCL is so great for us, They entertain our child so we really can just enjoy each other while our son is having the time of his life. We are not interested in making friends while cruising.
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
jkburns
Mouseketeer

I'm planning a 4-night on the Dream with my SO later this year. She has never cruised before and is a HUGE Disney fan. She is still in a state of disbelief that we are actually going.

I have asked my TA to let DCL know of our preference to be seated alone, and she says they have "noted our preference".

Any experiences out there that would give me reason to hope we could share our MDR meals with just each other?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkburns View Post
I'm planning a 4-night on the Dream with my SO later this year. She has never cruised before and is a HUGE Disney fan. She is still in a state of disbelief that we are actually going.

I have asked my TA to let DCL know of our preference to be seated alone, and she says they have "noted our preference".

Any experiences out there that would give me reason to hope we could share our MDR meals with just each other?
We have asked on all 3 cruises so far and have had a table to ourselves each time.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

I wouldn't dream of going down to our local restaurant and sitting with 4-6 strangers while having dinner with my 2 boys SO its safe to say I really hope we get our own table onboard.

I prefer dinner as a family and don't want to worry about not clicking with others, or having a disruptive child or having to make small talk. I want to be able to be silly and take pictures of my food or have the liberty to discuss the day with my children.

That said, I guess if I was only traveling with another adult and it wasn't a romantic getaway then having conversation with others would be nice.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
Kendal
DIS Veteran

I do have to say may fam and I have been on two dcl cruises on the dream.... With that bein said we have set with strangers both times... First time was a shocker we had no idea this happened... We hit it off with the other family real good... Second time prior to the cruise we were kinda excited to see who we r paired up with turns out both of our files has kinda something in common.... We have a third cruise booked and we are takin my father in law... I had told my wife I wonder if we will he a table to ourselves.... My wife replies.... I hope not that's half of the experience....... Although I did request a window seat for supper witch I would like to try once but ther than that I think it's really neat beacause you actually become one big family..... We have pictures from shutters with the other family as part of our cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
AJA55

Always has some spare pixie dust to offer a friend!
Need input

You are correct baleev. Although we have only been on one cruise, my mother and I love meeting new people and getting to know them and seeing the cruise from others eyes. But we had/have a rule. If we are not comfortable the first night then we’ll ask to be changed to a different table. I would have no qualms about doing that.

So we thought we’d end up at a four top alone. But we had two sister-in-laws showing up a bit late. The first thing out of one mouth was complaints, complaints and more complaints. We thought …well looks like we’ll have to change. But it all worked out good and we still wish to this day that we had given our email address to keep in contact….with the one that didn’t complain….LOL

And Kendal..we are like your wife. It is part of the experience. But we knew heading into the cruise that we would be seated with others. Maybe that makes a difference.
AJA55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: