Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I'm sure they do have "reserve" people. But I'm also sure they are not standing around, fully dressed, ready to go at all times. They most likely have to be called, get ready, and drive in. Takes a little time.
Exactly correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsDad View Post
As already stated it would take time so I can understand why that isn't an ideal situation. However even if it took time it might help alleviate some of the stress later on if the problems weren't immediately fixed.
What I wonder is why Disney didn't reroute some buses from other parks/resorts which were already in service. IIRC (and I could be mistaken) they have a system in place which allows them to move buses based on need. I don't think it would have been unreasonable to reroute some buses to address those long lines, especially the GF one. I do realize that could cause delays for guests at other resorts/parks but I think if you take 1 bus from here or there it could have made a huge difference, and not have affected other guests too much. But then again I am not a transportation engineer so what do I know. It just seems to me like they didn't do much to address the problem, and that is what would bum me out.

In fact when looking up some info on Disney buses I found an article from September talking about upgrades and the WDW transportation VP said this:

“Here (Disney World) it’s about guest experience, people going on vacation,” said Sam, “It’s a very different atmosphere and mindset … expectation is high.”

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/...easing-growth/
Yes, they can shuffle buses around but there are a number of things that they have to consider before doing that. 1. How long is the expected delay. If the information they receive is that it will be a short time, there isn't any sense to rerouting buses. Why? 2. Because if you take buses off a regular route what happens to the people that need that bus? So now instead of having one group of people mad at you, you have multiple groups. And if it indeed is a short time, by the time that the buses discharge whatever passengers they have for wherever they are going and get to the source of the problem, it may have already resolved itself. It's just a snowball rolling down the hill and picking up size and speed as it goes. There is no clean way to do this. You don't over staff to have people literally standing there waiting for a need to arise and you don't call someone in from home and expect them to show up in a period of time that is beneficial to the situation. If they get there and there is no need, the union, I'm sure has a minimum pay requirement for anyone called in. So you do your best to make it work. As someone has said, you don't just go from selling popcorn to driving a 42 foot bus, it takes someone with a CDL and considerable training and/or experience. The solutions may seem simple, but they are anything but simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFlower2 View Post
wow has DW really changed that much from 2007? (that was the last time I was there) This thread makes me doubt planning another trip there for next year. I had no problems with transportation and never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus (stayed at a value resort) I am trying to plan a trip for next June at POFQ which I know is a crazy month, so this is worrying me...
Don't let what you read here influence your travel plans. Most of the comments come from people that are totally unaware of how a transportation system works and what reasonable expectations are. A large number of people that use the Disney bus system, for example, are not regular municipal bus users. They expect them to work like their car, ready when they are. I have worked for more than one municipal bus company and have observed the Disney bus system and I'm here to tell you that considering the destinations, roads and traffic that they work under, they do a terrific job. Once in a while a bus will breakdown or have an accident and I'm here to tell you that NOTHING will throw off a schedule like either of those will. The people that ride the system at Disney expect the drivers to be professional all the while keeping them entertained. Not a good combination.

Back a few years ago a study was done that showed that if you rode a municipal bus and paid $1.00 per ride an additional $14.00 per person was needed to pay for buses, maintenance, drivers, benefits and general overhead, fuel and support staff. Systems that are non-profit public entities are supplemented by the Government. Disney is not and they don't charge you any extra for the service. Yes, it's built in to the cost of tickets and lodging, but it's not likely that the ticket prices would decrease even if the did away with the bus system.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: