Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Pepper Market review didn't change my mind

I heard the team talk about Pepper Market on this week's show. I have to say that listening to the report really didn't give me any reason to change my opinion of the place or want to go back. We were there once having heard a lot of people recommend it. We found it to be lousy - lousy food, lousy service, lousy prices.

The one thing I clearly remember is the quesadilla, which Dustin spoke about on the show (I think it was Dustin). The way he described it was exactly how it was when I had it. A ton of low quality cheese, dripping with grease and rather disgusting. Sounds like it hasn't changed a bit which is unfortunate.

I just dug up my review and I mentioned how the food was poor, my vegetarian daughter had almost nothing to choose from except a salad and ended up with a kid's mac and cheese meal that was cold, we couldn't get a server at our table to replace a dropped fork or fill our water glasses, and worst of all, it was the most expensive meal we ate during our entire 2-week stay.

On the show, a couple of comments were made about how the servings were huge and could easily feed 2 or 3 people. Personally, I don't find that to be a selling point, especially on vacation. At least at home, we can get a take out box and bring home the leftovers. On vacation, the excess food just gets thrown out. It's a waste of food and money. We'd much rather have a one-person serving at a more reasonable price. We can always order something else if we're still hungry.

I'm glad the team had a good experience and it sounds like maybe the service has gotten better but we wouldn't go back. There are plenty of better counter service options on property, most of which are also more reasonably priced.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Me, DW, DD and MIL with cast of Festival of the Lion King, 11/10/06
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

I am the exact opposite....lol

I've loved CSR for a long time..pepper market and all. At that time, all I heard were bad reviews and how they hated having to tip at the pepper market ..and how big the place was and how it was overrun with conventioneers. It was finally nice to hear a review that was the same as how I felt. To me CSR is a mod plus. SSSShhh..Disney cover your ears. ( we don't want the price to increase) The new rooms are gorgeous and it is no larger than the other resorts, it is immaculate and the grounds are beautiful. I enjoy pepper market. Rix lounge is really nice and upscale feeling. And well...Maya grill..is ok. Not fantastic but not horrible. The pool is huge and the so is the hot tub. The fitness center is nice.

Recently, I've stayed at the boardwalk area ...purely for the convenience for Food and Wine. However, my second choice is always to go back to CSR!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansyr2514 View Post
I am the exact opposite....lol
I wasn't knocking the resort - just the Pepper Market. I haven't stayed there but the property looked very nice from what I saw walking around.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Me, DW, DD and MIL with cast of Festival of the Lion King, 11/10/06
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
DSNYDREAMER
Cruising with Unlimited Dreams
Ring of fire! Ring of fire!

I am with you disneysteve!!! Absoultely detest the Pepper Market, have never had anything even somewhat decent to eat there.

That being said, my husband loves it!!! It is so funny to me how people have such polarizing opinions on this particular food court!

DSNYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

That's exactly what I mean.!!! It's funny how what some love... Others hate. It was just nice to hear a positive review on CSR in general.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
auroralark
Lives for vacation

I love CSR, and I was hesitant to stay there at first. Such a beautiful resort that I think gets a bad rep. We also had nothing but good experiences at Pepper Market on our trip.

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL
Our Princess arrived! 7/4/12
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Tigger1
DIS Veteran

I have not eaten at Pepper Market in a year. I have always thought pepper market to be one of the better counter services. I usually do not go at lunch time maybe right after or at dinner so its not busy either. My complaint is its hard to get to if your not staying at the resort. Fine if you have a car and do not mind driving. We have only used it on the meal plan. If I had paid cash for the meal my thoughts of the meal may have been different when considering cost.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
fall08CP
Cheesehead

Has it been awhile since you've been? I'm vegan (no meat, fish, dairy, eggs) and had at least 5 choices for every meal, so I'm not sure why your daughter struggled so much Perhaps the menu has changed or some stations were closed down- I've noticed that's become a trend

I agree it's overpriced. I love it for the dining plan, but I wouldn't pay OOP unless I was sharing a meal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: