Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #91
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintnolish View Post
Sorry, let me be more specific: I don't want to be at there mercy all the time! I'm tired of waiting in bus lines. Last time, we did use the busses even though we had a car because baby ds went through a stage where he hated his carseat, and riding the busses cut down on the screaming we had to hear; however, I feel like we wasted a lot of time waiting while we could've been driving MOST places.
Maybe it's because we stay at Pop Century (which I've heard has the best busses), but I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a bus at Disney, even during busy times. Usually I only wait about five or ten minutes.

We timed our travel time on the bus... It's just 10 minutes to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. It's about 15 minutes from the Pop Century to Animal Kingdom (unless we stop at Blizzard Beach first, then it's 20). And it's 20 minutes to get the Magic Kingdom.

Honestly, I think the bus gets us to the parks faster than the car does most of the time, since we never have to hike through parking lots or wait for the parking trolley to take us to the gate. Plus, we have more freedom to park hop if we want, without having to go back to retrieve the car. We like starting our morning in Hollywood Studios and taking a boat to finish off our day in Epcot.

Edit: But I can definitely see how a car might be preferable with a baby. Less standing, and guaranteed seats!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #92
katiee37
DIS Veteran
 
katiee37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 698

OP--so sorry you had to go through all of that! I've gotten stuck on the monorail before back in 2009, while it was on the tracks near the Polynesian but not at the actual station. At least you had the ability to get off once you realized it wasn't going anywhere; I was stuck. I'm hoping the monorails aren't in too bad shape when I go in January--I was planning on doing the ride over to MK from Epcot a few times.
__________________
Katie
July 2008 Caribbean Beach--First visit
July 2009 Beach Club--A magical reunion
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #93
polyfor4
Mouseketeer
 
polyfor4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 313

I guess we're fair weather vacationers because that would have totally ruined my day. Especially since we are usually staying at a monorail resort, I would have been livid. I love Disney, recently had a great trip, and will be back soon BUT I'm glad to see these opinions voiced because Disney needs to listen. I have been shocked in the past two years how much cast member service has gone down. Our good friends live close to Disney and they said literally their whole neighborhood has complained about poor Disney service more recently. That's not to say there aren't the exceptional cast members but 50% of the time on my trip a week ago, the cast members were disgruntled and often rude. And back to the monorail, it needs some TLC. Especially with the poly getting a DVC, that's too many guests relying on it plus a lot of people paying a huge premium for it. Sorry to rant but the monorail and cast member service have let me down in recent years. Thank you OP for sharing your story, maybe the Disney ears will listen. Also I'm glad you were able to salvage your day- a day at disney is better than a day at home
__________________

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR


polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #94
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran
 
A Mickeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: 148 miles SW of the world
Posts: 9,759

Quote:
Originally Posted by eticketride View Post
Oh, I think I get it now. Since I decided to take an alternative route, on a monorail that I was told was open for business, it was my fault that I got stuck at the GF. Makes sense. My bad. Next time I guess I could just park at the CR and walk, that way I can make sure I won't get stuck anywhere.
I get your drift, you do not like being told you are wrong ... and no, unless you are a guest or eating at the CR, you cannot just park there and walk, or did you not remember that one. It isn't like just jumping on board the monorail, security will stop you and ask where you are going. Depending on time of day, and how busy they are, you may end up with a 3 hour parking permit, and they will time you. I have seen cars towed...

Face it, you made a poor decision by getting on the resort monorail. Had you not done that, it would not have taken you 2 hours to get into the park. Had you been like many who do not know about the resort monorail going there (yes, not all know about it, which explains why the lines are shorter that way), you never would have done it Live and learn, short cuts are not always the fastest way to get to where you are going
__________________
RIP Lightning 9/20/2007
A Mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #95
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!
 
Minerva Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,454

What a shame that you couldn't just walk over that imaginary bridge from the GF to MK. That would have took, maybe 15 minutes!

Last edited by Minerva Mouse; 06-09-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #96
Rivergirl2005
Mouseketeer
 
Rivergirl2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 92

I was there that day!!! I totally feel ya, we decided to stay in line for the ferry.....took a whole hour we didn't arrive until 10ish.... I still am not sure what happened to the monorail that day!
Rivergirl2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #97
DaisyDew
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan View Post
I get your drift, you do not like being told you are wrong ... and no, unless you are a guest or eating at the CR, you cannot just park there and walk, or did you not remember that one. It isn't like just jumping on board the monorail, security will stop you and ask where you are going. Depending on time of day, and how busy they are, you may end up with a 3 hour parking permit, and they will time you. I have seen cars towed...

Face it, you made a poor decision by getting on the resort monorail. Had you not done that, it would not have taken you 2 hours to get into the park. Had you been like many who do not know about the resort monorail going there (yes, not all know about it, which explains why the lines are shorter that way), you never would have done it Live and learn, short cuts are not always the fastest way to get to where you are going
Yes, how dare he take advantage of all the different transportation options WDW has available! Shame on you, OP! Next time you'll know better than to listen to a CM trying to help you get to the MK faster.

Goodness knows, we can't ever say Disney has a terribly-maintained monorail system. Nah, must somehow be the customer's fault.
DaisyDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #98
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran
 
A Mickeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: 148 miles SW of the world
Posts: 9,759

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDew View Post
Yes, how dare he take advantage of all the different transportation options WDW has available! Shame on you, OP! Next time you'll know better than to listen to a CM trying to help you get to the MK faster.

Goodness knows, we can't ever say Disney has a terribly-maintained monorail system. Nah, must somehow be the customer's fault.
My point is being missed here. He took "advantage" of an option for resort guests who are paying up the ying yang to stay there (have you paid those prices, I have) and then they are all shuttled like cattle to the smaller boats to the MK since the monorail stalls. So, there you have guests from the CR (who could not or decided not to walk for some reason), guests from the Poly, guest from the GF and guests who are not paying the Monorail Resort prices waiting on this long line to get to the MK. It was "his" decision to jump on that monorail. He should not be complaining about the long line there, nore should he complain about the generator. Yes, he took "advantage" of the monorail service to get to the MK, instead of using the Ferry. So therefore instead of waiting an hour for the Ferry, he waited 2 for a small boat..
It amazes me how some do not get my point. Yes, he can take it if he wants to but do not blame Disney for that decision. He could have waited like the other MK park guests, and let the Monorail Resort guests have the shorter wait time. I know if I am paying $400+ per night, I don't want to wait in line with every Tom, Dick and Mary because they took "advantage" of what they thought was going to be a short cut and increase my wait times

As I have stated and will state again, he has every right in the world to complain about the express monorail going down and the long lines at the ferry. Disney should have gotten buses out and shuttled the MK park guests over that way, but to complain about being over at the GF, that was his choice to to that route... Disney didn't shuttle him there....

as far as his little comment about parking over at the CR, I have stayed there and come back to the resort from another park only to find I could NOT find a spot.. hmmm would it be due to people parking there when they want to just walk over to the MK. When I am paying the money to stay there, I want the parking spot that comes with it.... I should not have to circle around for 20 minutes or pay for Valet Parking just to park my car (and then there was a fee for it, not sure if there still is for resort guests)
__________________
RIP Lightning 9/20/2007

Last edited by A Mickeyfan; 06-09-2013 at 05:29 PM.
A Mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #99
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,787

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan View Post
My point is being missed here. He took "advantage" of an option for resort guests who are paying up the ying yang to stay there (have you paid those prices, I have) and then they are all shuttled like cattle to the smaller boats to the MK since the monorail stalls. So, there you have guests from the CR (who could not or decided not to walk for some reason), guests from the Poly, guest from the GF and guests who are not paying the Monorail Resort prices waiting on this long line to get to the MK. It was "his" decision to jump on that monorail. He should not be complaining about the long line there, nore should he complain about the generator. Yes, he took "advantage" of the monorail service to get to the MK, instead of using the Ferry. So therefore instead of waiting an hour for the Ferry, he waited 2 for a small boat..
It amazes me how some do not get my point. Yes, he can take it if he wants to but do not blame Disney for that decision. He could have waited like the other MK park guests, and let the Monorail Resort guests have the shorter wait time. I know if I am paying $400+ per night, I don't want to wait in line with every Tom, Dick and Mary because they took "advantage" of what they thought was going to be a short cut and increase my wait times
You might want to take up your grievances with WDW management. The resort monorail is not exclusively for resort guests, though you clearly believe that it is.

Signed,
The Riff-Raff
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #100
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran
 
A Mickeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: 148 miles SW of the world
Posts: 9,759

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
You might want to take up your grievances with WDW management. The resort monorail is not exclusively for resort guests, though you clearly believe that it is.

Signed,
The Riff-Raff
I know it is not, but when it comes to times like this, they need to do something for the guests who are paying premium prices as opposed to those that hop on to get there faster.... not saying he wasn't allowed, just saying he really should not be complaining. Then to want to move a generator because it is loud.. sorry, but I do not agree there. It is possible it was there because the least amount of rooms were in that area. Like I said, you are paying big bucks to stay there.. and you don't want to hear a generator because a park guest wants it moved away from the line they are on for the boat???? Yes, you are hearing it too while on that line, I get that part
__________________
RIP Lightning 9/20/2007
A Mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #101
DaisyDew
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan View Post
My point is being missed here. He took "advantage" of an option for resort guests who are paying up the ying yang to stay there (have you paid those prices, I have) and then they are all shuttled like cattle to the smaller boats to the MK since the monorail stalls. So, there you have guests from the CR (who could not or decided not to walk for some reason), guests from the Poly, guest from the GF and guests who are not paying the Monorail Resort prices waiting on this long line to get to the MK. It was "his" decision to jump on that monorail. He should not be complaining about the long line there, nore should he complain about the generator. Yes, he took "advantage" of the monorail service to get to the MK, instead of using the Ferry. So therefore instead of waiting an hour for the Ferry, he waited 2 for a small boat..
It amazes me how some do not get my point. Yes, he can take it if he wants to but do not blame Disney for that decision. He could have waited like the other MK park guests, and let the Monorail Resort guests have the shorter wait time. I know if I am paying $400+ per night, I don't want to wait in line with every Tom, Dick and Mary because they took "advantage" of what they thought was going to be a short cut and increase my wait times

As I have stated and will state again, he has every right in the world to complain about the express monorail going down and the long lines at the ferry. Disney should have gotten buses out and shuttled the MK park guests over that way, but to complain about being over at the GF, that was his choice to to that route... Disney didn't shuttle him there....

as far as his little comment about parking over at the CR, I have stayed there and come back to the resort from another park only to find I could NOT find a spot.. hmmm would it be due to people parking there when they want to just walk over to the MK. When I am paying the money to stay there, I want the parking spot that comes with it.... I should not have to circle around for 20 minutes or pay for Valet Parking just to park my car (and then there was a fee for it, not sure if there still is for resort guests)
MesaBoy already said it, but it bears repeating. The monorails are available for anyone to use, not just those that are staying at the monorail resorts.
DaisyDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #102
pumpernickel
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 83

That is crazy. Sorry to read about so many rude CMs.
pumpernickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #103
richkaryn
Mouseketeer
 
richkaryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by eticketride View Post
Oh, I think I get it now. Since I decided to take an alternative route, on a monorail that I was told was open for business, it was my fault that I got stuck at the GF. Makes sense. My bad. Next time I guess I could just park at the CR and walk, that way I can make sure I won't get stuck anywhere.

Lol--- I love your reply! We also had a few less than magical experience this trip (I've decided that maybe it has to do with the fact we went in June instead of in March or April as we have in the past.....we've always had magical trips in the past.) I can personally say you wouldn't have been any better off with a bus---when monorail went back down that same evening we were on our way to dinner at Poly from MK. We went to get a boat with 45 mins to spare. The line was crazy! CMs told us we'd be better off to go get on a bus bc they run more frequently. Went over and got in line they told us to for bus. We were first ones in line and it was over 4o minutes before a bus came then it had to stop at Contemporary first. We ended up making it to the Poly 30 minutes late to our ADR. They got us right in still and understood the transportation situation so it worked out ok. The next day was worse. Because of the storm, they waited until 3:00 to cancel the 6:30 Mickey's backyard bbq. Then because server issues with their system it took 3 hours to get us a different, kid-friendly ADR. I dealt with some less than magical CMs, a concierge who told me "it wasn't her problem and she wasn't sure what I wanted her to do to help me" and stuff. Then on the fb page I got slammed for "blaming Disney for my problem" and told it was my fault for not foreseeing this issue and making alternate plans and that basically my 5 year old was a brat because he was upset he couldn't go to the bbq. (Yeah bc I'm psycic and knew the computer system would be down for 3hours....and nobody makes ADRs 180 days out or anything so I should've been able to snag a new one just like that.....or better yet I should've made an alternate ADR 180 days prior and then just paid the price to cancel when I didn't need the backup since I couldn't have cancelled it 48 hrs in advance of knowing bbq cancelled.) Oh...and can't forget "who cares where you eat, it's Disney--you're not there for the food" (We had the deluxe dining plan and for us it IS as much about the food on our trips.)
Glad you were able to soldier on with your day and hate that people find it necessary to slam you and blame you if you have a less than magical experience at Disney. And I too noticed more rude cast members this trip.....not saying there aren't rude guests too, but I managed a retail store for many years and we weren't allowed to be rude no matter how rude the customers were to us.
__________________
April 2006- DH & myself anniversary off property (NEVER AGAIN!)
March 2011-ASM Fantasia: DH, DS, nephew, & myself
June 2013-CBR DH, DS5, and myself
March 2014- CBR DH, DS6, nephew 17, and myself

December 2014- Disney Dream 3 night Bahamas followed by 2 nights at AOA and MVMCP DH, DS7 (birthday celebration!!), and myself
richkaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #104
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,787

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan View Post

I know it is not, but when it comes to times like this, they need to do something for the guests who are paying premium prices as opposed to those that hop on to get there faster.... not saying he wasn't allowed, just saying he really should not be complaining. Then to want to move a generator because it is loud.. sorry, but I do not agree there. It is possible it was there because the least amount of rooms were in that area. Like I said, you are paying big bucks to stay there.. and you don't want to hear a generator because a park guest wants it moved away from the line they are on for the boat???? Yes, you are hearing it too while on that line, I get that part
The OP made an unfortunate decision that is obvious only in retrospect, and things snowballed from there. Both monorail lines failing simultaneously was unusual and was the primary cause for the OP's very poor experience, not their decision to get on the resort monorail. That was, at the time, an apparent reasonable and viable alternative to the ferry that I (and I assume other experienced WDW guests) may have chosen also.

FWIW, I agree the generator issue was trivial.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #105
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran
 
PeterPanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,175

Smile

I don't have a dog in this race, but, I would like to point out that it was not a generator, it was a power washer (notice the hose hooked up to it). They really could have shut it off for a while, however, I think it is a bit of an overreaction to think that they should. Just because they are on vacation doesn't mean that the people operating the machines are. They have a job to do and were probably in no way responsible for the monorails being down.


PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.