Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #31
tcufrog
DIS Veteran

Nothing from a wealthy friend of ours.
tcufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #32
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsheppo
My new MIL was dropped off on my doorstep the day after the wedding. The other family members said it was now my turn to take care of her. She ended up living with us for 6 years.
Haha...you win.

We just got money. I don't remember much else.
lizabu is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #33
Acklander
DIS Veteran

I married the first time in he 70's. We were young, and lived a casual, hippyish type life style. . DH's sweet grandmother gave us a Lovely silver platter. I'm sure it would have been a great gift for someone else, but it really wasn't us. We used it to clean our pot on.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
chiefmickeymouse
DIS Veteran

I got three deviled-egg plates. I guess we should have registered! I don't even like deviled eggs!
chiefmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #35
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

The two bounced checks that my husbands two cousins wrote. It cost us money in fees.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #36
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

DH elderly uncle have us $6.00. We cracked up laughing when we opened the card and a $5 bill and a $1 bill fell out. He was a nice man, but I don't think he got out much and probably hadn't been to a wedding in years!
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #37
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminnie View Post
Not me - but a friend of mine who is the nicest, sweetest person on the face of the earth got two washcloths for a wedding present that had no card attached.

She was horrified that she was not sending a thank you note to the anonymous donor. But on the other hand she did not want to ask people that had not sent a present if they had sent the two wash clothes.

Talk about a rock and a hard place. She is so kind. She genuinely appreciated the gift but could not give the appropriate thanks. She is the last person on the face of the earth who expected anything so she did not want to put down the present.

The only reason that I even know about it is because she discreetly asked me if I had a clue who gave the present.
I had several gifts like that - no name/card attached. And how can you ask someone - uh, did you get me this gift? when, maybe they didn't get you anything at all? or maybe, it even was part of another gift?
ptlohmysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #38
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbogen View Post
My cousin (a Dr) and his wife gave us a set of green twin sheets. Not sure why, since our bedroom color was blue and our bed was queen. We just thanked them for the sheets.
That was a hint to have kids .
Old 06-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #39
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsheppo View Post
My new MIL was dropped off on my doorstep the day after the wedding. The other family members said it was now my turn to take care of her. She ended up living with us for 6 years.
Did you not get a honeymoon? That was your "Welcome to the Family" gift, not your wedding gift. Major difference. But, yes, I agree you win.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #40
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMETV View Post
My BF received a large bright blue/yellow ceramic fish...it had a lid which consisted of an island with Palm Tree as a handle. Ugliest thing you ever saw...but the biggest problem was 'what is it???' She was attempting to write a thank you to her aunt and we were stumped. I think we came up with some vague 'thanks for the fish'!?!?

Found out several years later that it was a soup tureen and had been bought at a fancy arty store...although I can't imagine ever putting something that ugly on the table!
That's when you write "It's such an interesting piece and the colors are so vibrant, I just love it!!!!".
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #41
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlohmysoul View Post
I had several gifts like that - no name/card attached. And how can you ask someone - uh, did you get me this gift? when, maybe they didn't get you anything at all? or maybe, it even was part of another gift?
That's when you say "We so appreciate you sharing our special day with us and for all the kindness you have shown us throughout the years. We are very grateful for your friendship".
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #42
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
OK, here's one that I'm sure we can all relate to.....what is the worst wedding present you received? Mine would be a toss-up between the used and stained tablecloth his aunt gave us or the book on how to convert your spouse to your religion one of MY relatives gave us. C'mon....let's hear about yours!
While I've had my share of presents I didn't care for, none of my wedding presents were that way. I appreciated each and every one, and was amazed at some people's generosity. Getting married late in life, I expected people to expect we had a bunch of stuff already (we did, but not nice stuff), but people were extraordinarily generous to us. Some of my favorites: my bridal party gift to a spa (for pre-wedding use), my in-laws airline "points" that covered thousands of $ for our honeymoon use, the friends that volunteered to make all the food (we paid for the food), serve the food, decorate the reception, etc. We were blessed beyond measure. We had a low budget for our wedding/reception and our friends truly helped make it a wonderful day.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #43
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
That's when you say "We so appreciate you sharing our special day with us and for all the kindness you have shown us throughout the years. We are very grateful for your friendship".
Wish you were there to give me advice then .
Old 06-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #44
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

We got a card from "Drunk Uncle" that asked when the baby was due. We have been together for a decade and had a long engagement, so we figured it was an " it's about time" reference? It came with a nice check though, and of course, a large bottle of Grey Goose. So we still love him and make sure he has a ride home at family gatherings.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #45
penn19
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
I married the first time in he 70's. We were young, and lived a casual, hippyish type life style. . DH's sweet grandmother gave us a Lovely silver platter. I'm sure it would have been a great gift for someone else, but it really wasn't us. We used it to clean our pot on.
my laugh for the day!
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: