Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
carobear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PebblesMK View Post
I shouldn't admit this, but it's sort of been weighing on me for a few years. 10 years ago, my grandma died but my best friend was too busy with her online boyfriend to give me the time of day. Our friendship was thrown to the wayside because of that. She invited me to her wedding and I really thought about not going as I wasn't much friends with her anymore. At the time I was realllllllly poor. I was a teen mom who wasn't making ends meet very well, but I knew I had to get her a gift. *Sigh*, I found a bobblehead Famous Dave's pig that I wrapped up and gave to them. I'm sure it was their absolute worst gift and I feel so bad. For years I've considered sending them something nice but I don't know if I should. Oh well, I'll take the title of bad gift giver of the century.
I had no idea who Famous Dave's pig was so I googled it. I lol'ed. While, that is not an awesome gift... I'm sure there are worse (:
carobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #17
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I don't know if it was the WORST, but it was certainly odd. A family of 5 was invited. They RSVP'd. We included them in our head count and paid for the caterer. They no-showed. Apparently they decided going to Carowinds would be a better use of their time that day (Carowinds is a Six-Flags-esque theme park). They gave us two park tix as a wedding gift a few days later.

And the last can of Who-hash.
at the Who-hash.

I'd actually be rather pleased and pleasantly surprised to receive Carowinds tickets.

Not a horrible gift per se, but DW and I received a gift pack of four jars of fancy olives from one of her friends.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #18
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Used spices.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Not a wedding gift but for Christmas one year my ex FIL gave me bubble wrap and hand soap. From the dollar store.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

Not me - but a friend of mine who is the nicest, sweetest person on the face of the earth got two washcloths for a wedding present that had no card attached.

She was horrified that she was not sending a thank you note to the anonymous donor. But on the other hand she did not want to ask people that had not sent a present if they had sent the two wash clothes.

Talk about a rock and a hard place. She is so kind. She genuinely appreciated the gift but could not give the appropriate thanks. She is the last person on the face of the earth who expected anything so she did not want to put down the present.

The only reason that I even know about it is because she discreetly asked me if I had a clue who gave the present.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #21
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherlisa1978 View Post
The check that bounced.
no words, just paper plates, used spices, a bobble head, a MIL ~worst gift ever! I'm loving this thread

I was going to just post a quesadilla maker. LOL
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 06-09-2013 at 05:15 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
Nennie
Insert funny comment here!

I still wonder if this gift was a joke!

My former coworker and his wife gave me a very generous cash gift. In a addition to the cash, they also gave me this strange vase. It was a plain glass vase that had paper doilies glued to it with some kind of lacquer over it, with a twine bow. It looked like a 2nd grader made it in art class or at camp.

He was a funny guy though, so I thought maybe the vase was a joke. I sent a thank you for the cash and beautiful vase, and waited for him to fess up that the vase was a joke. He never mentioned it. I don't work with him anymore, so I guess I'll never know!

Trips since we joined DVC (and upcoming trips too!)
10/05 - Beach Club Villas;1/06 - Beach Club Villas; 9/06 - Beach Club Villas
1/07 - Beach Club Villas; 5/07 - Beach Club Villas;9/07 - Beach Club Villas
5/08 - Boardwalk Villas; 5/09 - Boardwalk Villas (Baby's first trip!);5/09 - Boardwalk Villas (Baby's second trip! LOL!)
9/09 - Bay Lake Tower;9/10 - POP (3 nights FD) followed by Beach Club Villas
1/11 - Beach Club Villas; 5/11 Boardwalk; 9/11 - Beach Club Villas; 9/12 Bay Lake Tower
12/12 Saratoga; 1/13 Beach Club; 7/13 Offsite; 9/13 Beach Club
Nennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #23
BKMETV
DIS Veteran

My BF received a large bright blue/yellow ceramic fish...it had a lid which consisted of an island with Palm Tree as a handle. Ugliest thing you ever saw...but the biggest problem was 'what is it???' She was attempting to write a thank you to her aunt and we were stumped. I think we came up with some vague 'thanks for the fish'!?!?

Found out several years later that it was a soup tureen and had been bought at a fancy arty store...although I can't imagine ever putting something that ugly on the table!

- Me - DH - DS 14 - DD 12

BKMETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #24
SLP958
DIS Veteran

A set of pillow cases with the words His and Hers written in what looked like a blue sharpie.

Also got some used kitchen towels.

Both were from elderly women. We did genuinely appreciate the thought.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #25
AllieKG
Earning My Ears

My husband and I had two mutual friends who were married three months before our wedding. We gave them $100 as a wedding gift. Their wedding gift to us was $45. We found that kind of odd. LOL.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
Jenn
DIS Veteran

A wooden cutting board in the shape of a whale. The handle was the whale's tail. No idea why or who gave us that.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #27
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nennie View Post
I still wonder if this gift was a joke!

My former coworker and his wife gave me a very generous cash gift. In a addition to the cash, they also gave me this strange vase. It was a plain glass vase that had paper doilies glued to it with some kind of lacquer over it, with a twine bow. It looked like a 2nd grader made it in art class or at camp.

He was a funny guy though, so I thought maybe the vase was a joke. I sent a thank you for the cash and beautiful vase, and waited for him to fess up that the vase was a joke. He never mentioned it. I don't work with him anymore, so I guess I'll never know!
Did the co-worker have a child in 1st-3rd grade? Maybe the kid wanted to send you a present, too. Kinda sweet, if you look at it that way.

My oddest wedding present was actually something quite expensive: A sterling silver vegetable dish, just like the traditional shower/wedding gifts of the 1950s. Question was, who'd ever use such a thing? Our idea of entertaining is pot luck, BBQs, etc.; we live a casual lifestyle. It stayed in its gift box for years. When packing to move, a friend "admired" it with just the appropriate amount of confusion/horror/sarcasm, so guess what he got when HE got married? Yup, re-gifted. I guess he's since re-gifted it and it's making its way across the country (usually with the story of its history- and a nice check- included). Of course, with the price of silver right now, I kinda wish I still had it
Old 06-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #28
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

A tiny little drawing of the head of a ram drawn by the giver ( a professor friend of my Dad's) . Not sure why the ram?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #29
Owlpost23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsheppo View Post
My new MIL was dropped off on my doorstep the day after the wedding. The other family members said it was now my turn to take care of her. She ended up living with us for 6 years.
You win.
Owlpost23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
dbogen
Your wish is my command!
Opens threads to see what's inside

My cousin (a Dr) and his wife gave us a set of green twin sheets. Not sure why, since our bedroom color was blue and our bed was queen. We just thanked them for the sheets.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: