Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Worst wedding presents ever....

OK, here's one that I'm sure we can all relate to.....what is the worst wedding present you received? Mine would be a toss-up between the used and stained tablecloth his aunt gave us or the book on how to convert your spouse to your religion one of MY relatives gave us. C'mon....let's hear about yours!
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
teacherlisa1978
DIS Veteran

The check that bounced.

Carsland, Candy Corn, and Caramel Macchiatos-a DLR Trip Report
Disneyland: 1989, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2013
Disneyland Paris: 1994-free trip won through the Disney Store!
Walt Disney World: 1992, 1997, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
teacherlisa1978 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Package of paper plates
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Enchanted Minnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherlisa1978 View Post
The check that bounced.
Yikes!

I don't recall anything too bad. Except people gave us a million wedding glasses. You know, the bride/groom ones? How many of those do we need? I think we re-gifted a few during a particular busy wedding season but also included some money.
Enchanted Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

A mismatched pair if wine glasses that were dirty and one had lipstick stains on it!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I don't know if it was the WORST, but it was certainly odd. A family of 5 was invited. They RSVP'd. We included them in our head count and paid for the caterer. They no-showed. Apparently they decided going to Carowinds would be a better use of their time that day (Carowinds is a Six-Flags-esque theme park). They gave us two park tix as a wedding gift a few days later.

Another one, from my MIL. Two HIDEOUS...I mean attrocious looking vases in this awful poop brown/gray color. Clearly the potter who made them had made a mistake when spinning them on the wheel and they had started to collapse. But the determined potter decided to call the two leaning/deformed vases a matched set of "hugging vases" (because when placed together one appears to lean towards the other). So MIL bought them as a wedding gift for us. I've displayed them on the buffet in my dining room since we married in 2005. In 2011 my MIL went through a series of insane moves that ultimately led to us cutting her out of our lives...among them, reclaiming the vases from my buffet while I wasn't home saying "You never use them." It's true, they've never held a flower, but I have always displayed them...for comedic value if nothing else. She also took the buffet itself. And the last can of Who-hash.

Last edited by Jennasis; 06-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Jennasis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

Oh and a wok. The wok wasn't bad but the card that was to them from someone else that they left in it......
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofinoff View Post
Oh and a wok. The wok wasn't bad but the card that was to them from someone else that they left in it......
We got a set of ugly kitchen canisters that were re-gifted. The Christmas wrapping paper still attached to the bottom of the box gave it away.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
OK, here's one that I'm sure we can all relate to.....what is the worst wedding present you received? Mine would be a toss-up between the used and stained tablecloth his aunt gave us or the book on how to convert your spouse to your religion one of MY relatives gave us. C'mon....let's hear about yours!
You mentioned this on another thread and I just have to ask...by any chance was it a handmade family heirloom? We've got a couple of pieces like this that have made the rounds and the sentimental value is enormous.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Fortuosity
That's me byword

Quote:
OK, here's one that I'm sure we can all relate to.....
sorry, can't relate
we started out with nothing, and were very grateful for all the various gifts we received (we didn't do any registries - not our cup o' tea)

25 years later & we still have almost all the non-cash items, including various homemade things (cross-stitch pictures, crocheted hand towels, etc.) and a number of "low quality/cheap" kitchenware items -- and I think we even still have a few bath towels yet that have a wee bit of life left in them (although, sadly, most finally gave up the ghost a number of years ago)

I suppose one might say the "worst" gift we were given was the gift that wasn't: an intended homemade gift that was never completed, thus we were never given it (and I have no idea what became of the half-done item). I would have loved to receive it even if years later, but I still really appreciate the thought and effort that went into the attempt regardless.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
skuttle
Counting the days until our next trip!

A crystal picture with a card in it that said "happy secretary's day." And a filtered water pitcher we tried to return but couldn't because it was apparently part if a set.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
And the last can of Who-hash.

We got pretty decent wedding gifts. Some of MIL's friends gave us some "interesting" vases, but not anything ugly.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

My grandmother gave us (more specifically me) a gift bag full of lotion and soap...half used.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
PebblesMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I shouldn't admit this, but it's sort of been weighing on me for a few years. 10 years ago, my grandma died but my best friend was too busy with her online boyfriend to give me the time of day. Our friendship was thrown to the wayside because of that. She invited me to her wedding and I really thought about not going as I wasn't much friends with her anymore. At the time I was realllllllly poor. I was a teen mom who wasn't making ends meet very well, but I knew I had to get her a gift. *Sigh*, I found a bobblehead Famous Dave's pig that I wrapped up and gave to them. I'm sure it was their absolute worst gift and I feel so bad. For years I've considered sending them something nice but I don't know if I should. Oh well, I'll take the title of bad gift giver of the century.
PebblesMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
mrsheppo
Mom to 11 and still partially sane
Isn't Heppo one of the Marx Brothers?

My new MIL was dropped off on my doorstep the day after the wedding. The other family members said it was now my turn to take care of her. She ended up living with us for 6 years.

mrsheppo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: