Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #31
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

Nemo is cool, but makes me claustrophobic and is not worth waiting more than 10-15 minutes for. I keep wanting to like the Matterhorn, because it's -Disneyland-, but it is so rough I can't enjoy it!

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #32
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I don't love everything in the same exact way, and sometimes I'm in the mood to ride/watch a particular thing while other times I am not in the mood. Sometimes I am not in the mood to ride anything!

Overall, though, if I don't enjoy the actual ride/show itself too much I can now appreciate everything else about it because of the details. Then there are some things I simply like because of the nostalgia involved.

For example, I am one of the remaining few who actually enjoys Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin! I like the details in the queue, such as the gags and inside jokes on the license plates and signs and all of that. I think that the spinning gives just enough of a kick to make it fun, but it's not crazy, out-of-control spinning. I also like that Roger wears a little Santa suit above the entrance to the ride during the holidays. Plus, it was exciting when Car Toon Spin opened because Toon Town was a brand new land, so it's been interesting to watch it evolve from a big crowd-pleaser to a ride that very few people like over the last 20 years!

I would not wait an hour in line for the Nemo Subs again, but I appreciate that the Subs are still there in some way, shape or form. It was never my favorite ride even as a kid, but the old Subs are part of the Tomorrowland that I grew up with.

I love "Finding Nemo" as a movie, but I wish that Nemo had gotten his own separate ride because I actually think the Subs -- as retro and kitschy as they were -- were better without Nemo, in a goofball sort of way.

Autopia -- again, that's part of the Disneyland I grew up with and loved, so even though it is not an exciting ride, it does have some cute little touches along the road (like the little mouse holes at the mouse crossing area!) and it will be a sad day when and if it finally bids farewell.

Even things that I used to love as a kid -- Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room and Treehouse -- have gotten a little stale for me and I often skip them (especially the latter two). When I do them I find little details and interesting things to look at that I never noticed before. There is always something new to see, even in the oldest of attractions.

The Storybook Land ride is not a must for me on each trip, but I love that during the holidays it is decorated with teeny tiny trees and wreaths and things.

So, it's not that I dislike any particular thing because I don't get it. It's more that I just have specific favorites, and the other things that are not favorites are things I have learned to appreciate in different ways -- or with new eyes, I guess you could say.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
LizzyS
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness, the Matterhorn is my absolute favorite (followed closely by Space Mountain)! I can't believe it when people say they don't like it. I even prefer the new bobsleds!

2nd trip to Disneyland & California Adventure: February 23rd & 25th-26th, 2013

3rd trip to DLR (on site stay @PPH): February 26th - March 2nd, 2014

4th trip to Disneyland only: December 13th, 2014
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #34
LizzyS
DIS Veteran

Another thing I thought of- I don't like the parades. I don't like parades in general, honestly, and on my end, all they do is clog up the park when I'm trying to get around. I'm sure small children have a blast, though.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #35
helenb
Wishing for the World...

Parades are at the top of my list too. Although I do appreciate how they suck people away from the rides.

Autopia (unless you have a 2-4 year old who wants to drive while you control the 'gas'). Why do adults even get on this thing? It's far worse at WDW, because at least Autopia has mild theming - Tomorrowland Speedway has none.

Country Bear Jamboree (shocked no one has mentioned this yet). It's just... cringe-worthy.

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. It's like the Hall of Presidents (the best place to breastfeed and take a nap at WDW) only more boring.

At WDW - Rafiki's Plabet Watch and the waterparks. I get that a petting zoo and waterslides might be fun, but why would you pay a mint to do this at WDW when you could do it at home for much cheaper? Plus the opportunity cost when you think of all the other cool, unique Disney things you could be doing... mind-boggling!

Tarzan's Treehouse. I still don't understand why they think this is more interesting than the Swiss Family Robinson version.

The video game arcade at Space Mountain. Again, why would you waste time at *Disneyland/world* to spend more money to do something you could do anywhere?

Captain Eo. I didn't get it the first time around in the 80s either.

All that being said, I like most of the other rides mentioned (Fantasyland dark rides, Nemo, POTC, Goofy's Sky School, etc.). I guess it just goes to show that everyone has different tastes, and that there's something at Disney for everyone.

Before someone mentions it, I'll throw out that I love Small World too. :D
helenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #36
TheChapman6
DIS Veteran

teacups why my kids all think they are so awesome is beyond me? It feel like any other cheap carnival ride and I don't understand why anyone wants to get dizzy and feel like they want to puke on purpose. Yet I still had to ride it with my kids and smile when they said they wanted to go again. Yet firmly say "oh, maybe later"

DLH May 2013, PPH Feb 2014, GCH Sept 2014
TheChapman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #37
KatieRae
Earning My Ears

I love Pirates even though I can't get into the movies.

I don't get Captain EO. I saw it at Disney World. It was loud in there, I couldn't really hear what was going on. :/
KatieRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #38
dnamertz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina View Post
POTC. I just don't get it AT ALL. It portrays violence against women and drinking and it smells dank down there. Totally lost on me.
Where is the violence against women? As someone else said...they are pirates. There is violence theme throughout...mostly agsint the other male pirates.
dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #39
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamertz View Post

Where is the violence against women? As someone else said...they are pirates. There is violence theme throughout...mostly agsint the other male pirates.
I'll assume they are referring to the women being tied up and auctioned off
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #40
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Soarin'. Makes me a little queasy (motion sickness) and just kind of eh to me. Of course I was never fond of those movies in the round they showed in Tomorrowland either (and my mother LOVED them -- figures) and it reminds me of that.

Never huge on the submarines. I haven't been since the old 20,000 Leagues but I thought it was boring and if you weren't claustrophobic when you went it, you would be by the time you got out. Talk about a shower-to-shower moment.

Matterhorn. If I'm getting whiplash, I want an insurance company to go after. Period.

Parades. I'm just not a huge fan of giant slow-moving time-sucks. I feel bad because they are obviously labor intensive but I enjoy them for a brief 2 minutes of nostalgia and then I'm done.

Now mind you I'm about to go with 2 small children for the very first time. I have a feeling parades are in our future. Probably the submarines too. And Soarin'. Karma is a ***** but she's at least likely to let me escape Matterhorn.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )

Last edited by Mary Jo; 06-10-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: .
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #41
LizzyS
DIS Veteran

I'm a huge MJ fan, so I love Captain EO, but I can certainly understand why others don't.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #42
tanyaewa
Just can't get enough!

Captain Eo.
Mad hatters party
Arcade under space mountain

Everything else seems to make sense and enhance a visit.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #43
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenb View Post
Country Bear Jamboree (shocked no one has mentioned this yet). It's just... cringe-worthy.
Its loooong gone from DLR anyway. But man did I love that show as a kid!! Listened to the record (yes, the vinyl kind) all the time at home! But agree that as an adult I'd probably find it cringe-worthy (never been to WDW...they still have it there right? Is it the same as the original DL version?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenb View Post
Tarzan's Treehouse. I still don't understand why they think this is more interesting than the Swiss Family Robinson version.
I'd say because kids today have no idea who the Swiss Family Robinson are but its not like most of them saw Tarzan either....

There are rides that aren't my favorite but I'm having a hard time coming up with one that I can't at least enjoy through my children's eyes

Disneyland many times as a child, now sharing the magic with my children....
Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #44
BirdsSingWords
...and the Flowers Croon

Even the stuff aimed at little ones is fun for me again now that I go with my nieces.

But I don't get all the hoopla about Soarin. I thought, based on other people's feedback, that it would be a lot more awesome than it was.

And you won't catch me paddling a canoe on a hot day, or ever. I can go to the gym to be tortured like that.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #45
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I'll assume they are referring to the women being tied up and auctioned off
Yes, made for an interesting conversation after our first ride. Once the kids understood the "historical" context well then they enjoyed it more but it did raise questions - which I actually invited. I love it when my kids question things and often times the things they question are the things that just look wrong!
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: