Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
julie4423
Mouseketeer

Upgrading child to adult

I remember reading at some point that I could upgrade a child DP to adult somehow. How would I go about that? Also, as I'm going with a FD PIN, would I pay to upgrade the dining plan or just his park ticket?
julie4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie4423 View Post
I remember reading at some point that I could upgrade a child DP to adult somehow. How would I go about that? Also, as I'm going with a FD PIN, would I pay to upgrade the dining plan or just his park ticket?
You'll need to list him/give his age as 10, buy an adult ticket for him, and he'll get adult DDP. Price difference for kids and adult tickets is not that much.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
julie4423
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your reply! The ticket difference is only $20, so we will definitely be upgrading.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
PrincessCooper's Mom
Mouseketeer

Is there any down side to this??

We are booked under free dining and after reading this thread it got me to thinking that it is worth $20.00 to upgrade just for my daughter to have the option if she wanted to order something off the adult menu. She is only 5 but rarely orders off the child's menu. She might not eat everything on her plate but I know if given the choice she would rather have steak than chicken fingers.

PrincessCooper's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
julie4423
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCooper's Mom View Post

We are booked under free dining and after reading this thread it got me to thinking that it is worth $20.00 to upgrade just for my daughter to have the option if she wanted to order something off the adult menu. She is only 5 but rarely orders off the child's menu. She might not eat everything on her plate but I know if given the choice she would rather have steak than chicken fingers.

I saw your post on the other board as well. My son is only 5 as well, but man can he eat. I know he would end up eating our meals all the time if he could only order off the kids menus. Most of them just aren't good. I truly see no down side.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
PrincessCooper's Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie4423

I saw your post on the other board as well. My son is only 5 as well, but man can he eat. I know he would end up eating our meals all the time if he could only order off the kids menus. Most of them just aren't good. I truly see no down side.
That is what happened to me last time. I am going to call later today. I will post an update after I call.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie4423 View Post
Thanks for your reply! The ticket difference is only $20, so we will definitely be upgrading.
I think you made a good choice, especially for such a small difference in cost .

Quote:

For such a small amount to upgrade, I think it's worth it, especially if your DD will want things off of the adult menu. Also, if she does decide to order something off of the child's menu every once in awhile, she should be able to get an adult sized portion. We did that when our oldest was very picky and didn't want anything off of the adult menu. He was over 10 so he already had the adult DDP, but all of our servers brought him a child's menu item, but in a larger portion .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
PrincessCooper's Mom
Mouseketeer

I called and changed my reservation!!!

Okay I just hung up the phone from changing my reservation.

We were booked at POR from 9/13 - 9/21 with free dining and 7 day base tickets. The total with 2 adults and 1 child (daughter is 5) was $2538.71.

I called and changed daughters age to 10 so now it is booked as 3 adults and the price is $2557.38.

Since dining is free I only had to pay the difference between 7 day adult ticket and 7 day child ticket, which was only $19.71.

Great deal for our family!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
julie4423
Mouseketeer

Yay! Glad my post could help you, too.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
PrincessCooper's Mom
Mouseketeer

I don't know why I had not thought about doing this before.
Without your post I probably would have been eating processed chicken while DD ate steak and shrimp.

But this is first time staying at moderate with free dining and don't think I would have done if staying at value.

THANK YOU!!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay I just hung up the phone from changing my reservation.

We were booked at POR from 9/13 - 9/21 with free dining and 7 day base tickets. The total with 2 adults and 1 child (daughter is 5) was $2538.71.

I called and changed daughters age to 10 so now it is booked as 3 adults and the price is $2557.38.

Since dining is free I only had to pay the difference between 7 day adult ticket and 7 day child ticket, which was only $19.71.

Great deal for our family!!!
It's an awesome deal.....have a great trip .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #12
AllyC
Earning My Ears

I have also done exactly this as my DS will be 9 and would have been bored with kids menus.

The only downside the CM told me about is that for the 14 we are in WDW my son will be an adult so any extras such as Character meals/ dining shows he will have to pay the adult price for. This is only whilst in WDW though as they haven't changed his age for the flights or otherwise the passport would not match !

I am not worried about this as this is our first trip and I have only booked one character breakfast. I think its a great deal and I only paid £20 also!
AllyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We've also upgraded my 9 year old. We did it for our last trip and will be doing it again this summer. Of the child QS choices the only ones he would eat were the nuggets or the pizza. That got old really fast on a 10 day trip and he was always still hungry. In fact he ate more on the adult plan than I did last trip. I was shocked at how much he ate on our trip in February, but low and behold within a week or two of getting back all of his pants were too short and he had shot up almost 2 inches. He's the tallest boy in his class now.

So in the end this is a very good deal for us. It gives him way more choices and I don't end up buying all kinds of things OOP.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #14
chewysmom
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad to see this! Last year our ds was NOT happy with the kids menu. So I just fudge his birth year? He's 8.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
Sarah Millar01
Mouseketeer

Definitely worth the upgrade, I've done this before over the years with my 6 kids :-)
Sarah Millar01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: