Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you enjoy/look forward to most about a repositioning cruise?
Different Ports of Call/Itinerary 44 38.26%
Variety of entertainment 14 12.17%
More opportunities to dine at Palo 8 6.96%
More Sea Days 84 73.04%
New and different dinner menus 20 17.39%
More interaction with cast and characters 19 16.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #91
speedo
Mouseketeer

All tied Up

Manicure finished, I met up with DSis in Studio Sea for the napkin folding, while Mom left to meet Dad at the lecture on the Panama Canal. DSis read that massive book - path between the seas or whatever and gave me the cliffsnotes version- Pacific is higher than Atlantic, there's a railroad, the French failed, there's malaria, Nicaragua has a volcano, there's yellow fever, West Indians are brought by the hundreds and paid nothing, Teddy Roosevelt visits, country is founded, there's a lot of dredging, thousands die, hundreds of millions spent, and then we give it up to the Chinese. Got it.

She makes it all look so easy!

candle stick

peter pan's shoe

corn

bird of paradise
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #92
bearsgirl
Earning My Ears

[Pacific is higher than Atlantic, there's a railroad, the French failed, there's malaria, Nicaragua has a volcano, there's yellow fever, West Indians are brought by the hundreds and paid nothing, Teddy Roosevelt visits, country is founded, there's a lot of dredging, thousands die, hundreds of millions spent, and then we give it up to the Chinese. Got it. [/QUOTE]

I enjoyed your edited version of David McCullough's book on the Canal.
Rebecca
bearsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #93
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

What a fun TR! We seriously considered this cruise but ended up opting for the 8 night to WDW and CC (fantastic cruise!) We will do a PC cruise hopefully in the next year or two. Can't wait for more of your TR!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #94
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
What a fun TR! We seriously considered this cruise but ended up opting for the 8 night to WDW and CC (fantastic cruise!) We will do a PC cruise hopefully in the next year or two. Can't wait for more of your TR!
Thanks for posting! WDW and CC sounds great - is that a land/cruise package? What ship is that?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #95
speedo
Mouseketeer

Pins!

on Day Three they had the ultra-confusing limited edition panama canal cruise pin release. That morning you could line up to get two wristbands - one for the panama canal logo pin and one for the ports of call pins. We thought this meant you could only get a total of four pins (two logo and two ports of call). So we decided ahead of time which of the ports we wanted but that didn't matter because we could buy two entire sets of the pins.

Also, not sure that the wristbands are entirely necessary it really didn't seem like there was a run on pins. So if you miss wristband distribution I am sure you can get the pins later in the cruise after the wristband time.

For those in concierge, the wristbands were provided to each suite. Though, I am not sure that they have done this in the past. But there were enough requests coming from concierge (including our parents) that they did end up providing the wristbands to concierge the night before. - Thank you Rodrigo

Old 06-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #96
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsgirl View Post
[Pacific is higher than Atlantic, there's a railroad, the French failed, there's malaria, Nicaragua has a volcano, there's yellow fever, West Indians are brought by the hundreds and paid nothing, Teddy Roosevelt visits, country is founded, there's a lot of dredging, thousands die, hundreds of millions spent, and then we give it up to the Chinese. Got it.
I enjoyed your edited version of David McCullough's book on the Canal.
Rebecca[/QUOTE]

I am here for all those who skip the book and skip the lectures
Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #97
DCL4LIFE
Earning My Ears

Great trip report, makes me feel like I am there again such a great cruise.

I have to agree with some others who have said the "off duty" actions of the entertainment CMs on this cruise was inappropriate. I myself am a Cast Member but not for DCL so maybe it just stuck out to me more. I noticed the main stage entertainment people almost every day on Deck 9 and 10 talking loudly about things Guests shouldn't be hearing. The worst was on at Cabo when about 7 of them were clearly intoxicated and laying out on Deck 10, one of them made a comment to me as I walked by, then pulled his pants down and mooned the other CMs sitting with him, then ran down the stairs to the Quiet Cove pool screaming "cannonball!" and jumped in splashing everyone who was swimming. I have to add, this CM was probably the most recognizable of the bunch.

I had an amazing cruise, like I said, but was extremely disappointed with a very small group of certain crew members.

Last edited by DCL4LIFE; 06-08-2013 at 03:07 PM.
DCL4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #98
fltink
Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL4LIFE View Post
Great trip report, makes me feel like I am there again such a great cruise.

I have to agree with some others who have said the "off duty" actions of the entertainment CMs on this cruise was extremely inappropriate. I myself am a Cast Member but not for DCL so maybe it just stuck out to me more. I noticed the main stage entertainment people almost every day on Deck 9 and 10 talking loudly about things Guests shouldn't be hearing. The worst was on at Cabo when about 7 of them were clearly intoxicated and laying out on Deck 10, one of them made a comment to me as I walked by, then pulled his pants down and mooned the other CMs sitting with him, then ran down the stairs to the Quiet Cove pool screaming "cannonball!" and jumped in splashing everyone who was swimming. I have to add, this CM was probably the most recognizable of the bunch.

I had an amazing cruise, like I said, but was extremely disappointed with a very small group of certain crew members.
Totally unacceptable. Thy need to have some respect for their jobs, their company and their guests.
Sept '02 4 N Wonder
April '03 7 N Eastern Carib Bday Magic
Oct '03 3 N Wonder
Feb '04 7 N Western Carib Valentine's Magic
Sept '05 7 N Western Carib WEDDING Magic!!!!
Sept '07 7 N Eastern Carib 2 Yr Anniversary Magic
Jan '09 7 N Western Carib Magic
Sept '09 7 N Eastern Carib 4 Yr Anniversary Magic
July '10 4 N Wonder
Oct '10 4 N Halloween Wonder
Jan '11 3 N Preview Cast Dream

Next cruise.....
Sept '13 14 N Panama Wonder (8 Yr Anniversary!!!)
fltink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #99
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltink View Post
Totally unacceptable. Thy need to have some respect for their jobs, their company and their guests.
I agree, that is totally obnoxious - more like teenager behavior than adult, let alone from aCM.
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #100
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL4LIFE View Post

Thanks so much for posting. I am sorry you witnessed similar behavior - it did take away from the Magic of Disney to see the stage talent behaving like that. I would imagine there is a crew bar and there is the crew pool you can see from the front of the ship - I'm not even sure why they were behaving like that in public areas - on or off duty. But glad you enjoyed your cruise too! Thanks again for your comments and for reading.
jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #101
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Back to day three

So by this point it is almost noon and I have yet to shower. I meant to shower after working out and shuffle board, but dad had to eat or would have passed out then and there, remember? And then I meant to shower after breakfast, but then mom called on the wavephone to tell me she had a seat saved for me in the front center for the art of entertaining cooking demonstration. Then I planned to shower after that when DSis texted on her wavephone that she was coming to Studio Sea to see napkin folding and to save her a seat. So, a few hours later than I expected, I'm finally free of all family guilt and obligation and back in my stateroom.

After showering I decide to find my family and figured they would probably be getting lunch at beach blanket buffet on the 9th deck.

For some reason, stopping for ice cream before lunch makes perfectly good sense on DCL - it was on my way after all.

About this time my wavephone was vibrating constantly with missed calls from Mom and Sis wondering why I'm not with them at beach blanket.

I came to the buffet through the back entrance and missed the hand sanitizers - I carried purell in my purse but coming in the back way makes it hard to get silverware and napkin!

Since I would have been heading against the current of the buffet lines, I settled on the paella station and got a spoon from the dessert buffet.

I wasn't sure if DSis had gotten any paella and the line was so long I figured I would get two bowls and either she or dad would like it too - nothing worse than showing up with something no one else has and having them all eyeing your food - then you have to share - yuck.

I found the table the family was hunkered down at and no, DSis didn't know about the paella and yes, she did really want it.

Mom and Dad took off about the time I got to the table, but dad came back to bring us both this dark chocolate dessert - dad drowned it in chocolate sauce for us - was too much though - even for me.

I'm looking over the navigator for the day and can't figure out where it was that they hurried off to after lunch, but now I see there was a singles lunch at Tritons - maybe I should have gone there instead!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #102
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Postcard update!

Finally! ONE postcard has been received. It was delivered to a friend in Vienna, Virginia. So it took over a month and there's still about 23 postcards out there from us - we were busy that first 24 hours getting cards written to be sent from either Castaway or Panama.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #103
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
Thanks for posting! WDW and CC sounds great - is that a land/cruise package? What ship is that?
This was an 8 night cruise out of Galveston on the Magic. They ran cruises with the CC, WDW and Key West port stops during the spring this year. We were on the May 10 cruise, the last one before the Magic headed to Barcelona.

Our day at WDW was an excursion. The cruise price included transportation to WDW and a 1 day park hopper ticket. This has been my favorite cruise itinerary so far! We had a great time!

Looking forward to more of this TR. (The behavior of some of the CMs is sad. Hopefully that didn't continue throughout your cruise?!)
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014

Last edited by Luv2Diz; 06-08-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #104
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
[/URL]
This photo also shows how bright that clock is - I had to turn it towards the wall at night to keep it from blinding me.
That's too funny! I find the switch for the dimmer "function" but STILL have to throw a towel over it because turning it around for me only makes it glow off of everything else! Seriously, I am blind at night without my glasses so the clock could be 40 ft tall and I STILL wouldn't see if but too much light drives me bonkers!

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #105
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
This was an 8 night cruise out of Galveston on the Magic. They ran cruises with the CC, WDW and Key West port stops during the spring this year. We were on the May 10 cruise, the last one before the Magic headed to Barcelona.

Our day at WDW was an excursion. The cruise price included transportation to WDW and a 1 day park hopper ticket. This has been my favorite cruise itinerary so far! We had a great time!

Looking forward to more of this TR. (The behavior of some of the CMs is sad. Hopefully that didn't continue throughout your cruise?!)
That sounds like a great itinerary. So WDW was a day excursion? Do you have a trip report? I am curious what you choose to do in that time? I was thinking that adding Disneyland to the end of this cruise made perfect sense since it ended in LA and thought that they would do a few cruises out of LA, but they turned the ship around and just had a short repositioning cruise after ours up to Vancouver with an overnight in San Francisco that all the cast members were looking forward to. But after this trip, I know that a day excursion to Disneyland and California Adventure would have amounted to waiting in line three hours to ride Radiator Springs in Cars Land and that's about it! As it was it took us three days there to ride it once! More to come..

And no the CMs that were acting up were the same that another poster commented on, on another day of the cruise as well and it was pretty much all cruise long, but it was just a small group of CMs - think they all played on the main stage and dressed as princes and dancers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
That's too funny! I find the switch for the dimmer "function" but STILL have to throw a towel over it because turning it around for me only makes it glow off of everything else! Seriously, I am blind at night without my glasses so the clock could be 40 ft tall and I STILL wouldn't see if but too much light drives me bonkers!
I hear that!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: