Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #3091
jillmc40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

There was quite a lot of talk when the plans were filed, and again when it was announced. I think it is mixed - many GF lovers are also DVC and have longed for VGF. Others are not DVC, have no intention of buying in and would just as soon not have it. Either way, I know everyone will adjust as time goes by, they have done a good job of smoothing the transition, I think.

We're all waiting for the first guests to post reviews later this year!
Thanks for the wrap up. This was the first dvc that made me stop in my tracks and think about it. I really love being at the Grand. I convinced dh to do it and I look forward to many years of staying there!! Maybe I am crazy but I didn't think it was THAT expensive. I was expecting way way way worse. So maybe it is all relative

Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #3092
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbrulee View Post
My sister and I have booked an 8 day stay at the Grand Floridian this August. This will be our first deluxe stay, and a total surprise to my two daughters. In fact, they don't know we're going to Disney, nevermind staying here! I'm so excited, they're going to be so thrilled! I wanted to thank you for this great thread and all its information!
What a great surprise for your daughters . The GF is an amazing resort and I'm sure everyone will love it!!! Have a great trip .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #3093
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brier Rose View Post
Yeah, I was hoping that they were still doing "Fantasy in the Sky", because it's my all time fav.

From what I read they're only doing that on New Year's Eve now.

I saw a bit of the new Patriotic Show on You Tube yesterday, and it looks pretty good tho!

Either way, I'm just excited to be there for the 4th!
The Patriotic Show is amazing! We went over the 4th for the 1st time 3 years ago and plan to come back every year. I've never seen "Fantasy in the Sky" but it's on my must-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post

I'm really hoping they have the special fireworks that whole week (I fly in on the 7th), I think the patriotic fireworks are my favorite!
::crossing fingers::: It's definitely my favorite! The best thing is that it's also DH's fav so he's willing to splurge for a TPV room.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #3094
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Hi! DH & I spent 2 nights in a king deluxe RPC room in Sept 2011. I was in heaven & dreamed of going back. We didn't think we could make our annual Sept trip this year due to DH's work projects. So we went to YC in May instead. I booked a bounceback for the same RPC king deluxe room Sept 18-21, just in case. DH just found out yesterday he can take that vacation!!!

We will be celebrating our 35th anniversary with a YC/ GF split stay. I am so thankful for my wonderful hubby & our life together. We are very blessed.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #3095
chica622
Mouseketeer

We just decided to stay at GF Sugarloaf in 2 weeks! I have only stayed CL at Disneyland so I am very excited! I have already emailed the IPO because I have Celiac's and they made it seem like the chef would accommodate. That was a big deal because I didn't want to book CL if I couldn't eat the food! What do I have to look forward to? We stayed at GF GV in 2011 and I just love this resort... .I am sooo excited!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #3096
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusondisney View Post
Hi! DH & I spent 2 nights in a king deluxe RPC room in Sept 2011. I was in heaven & dreamed of going back. We didn't think we could make our annual Sept trip this year due to DH's work projects. So we went to YC in May instead. I booked a bounceback for the same RPC king deluxe room Sept 18-21, just in case. DH just found out yesterday he can take that vacation!!!

We will be celebrating our 35th anniversary with a YC/ GF split stay. I am so thankful for my wonderful hubby & our life together. We are very blessed.
Ooooh. You should request one of the turret rooms They're amazing.
Scroll about halfway down this page and you'll see one http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2932607 (they are King Deluxe - but extra special )
Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #3097
Lulu'sMom
You.Had.Me.At. Sticky.Mickey. ~And DOLE WHIPS too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbrulee View Post
My sister and I have booked an 8 day stay at the Grand Floridian this August. This will be our first deluxe stay, and a total surprise to my two daughters. In fact, they don't know we're going to Disney, nevermind staying here! I'm so excited, they're going to be so thrilled! I wanted to thank you for this great thread and all its information!
Oh! You chose very well for your first deluxe trip! very well!
Your DDs will love the GF as well as you and your DSis!!!! Oh, have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
Thanks for the wrap up. This was the first dvc that made me stop in my tracks and think about it. I really love being at the Grand. I convinced dh to do it and I look forward to many years of staying there!! Maybe I am crazy but I didn't think it was THAT expensive. I was expecting way way way worse. So maybe it is all relative
Lol! I so agree with you! It's relative all right! Depends on who your relatives are! har har!
Anyways, I've never been much a DVC lover, but those inside GF DVC pics are really calling my name, and after showing DH, and after him seeing the contruction in April, he is very interested in buying into it. So,I gues s we'll see what happens in October. [crossing fingers] Good luck to you, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
The Patriotic Show is amazing! We went over the 4th for the 1st time 3 years ago and plan to come back every year. I've never seen "Fantasy in the Sky" but it's on my must-do list.

::crossing fingers::: It's definitely my favorite! The best thing is that it's also DH's fav so he's willing to splurge for a TPV room.
Wow! Now that's something we've never done! A 4th on the monorail, much less at WDW! a must-do like you said, and a TPV room! I keep reading how amazing it is!

Quote:

Happy upcoming anniversary!!!! Wow! 35th!!!! That deserves a suite upgrade, I sure do hope you get one! And yes, you two have been blessed! So happy to read about your upcoming trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica622 View Post
We just decided to stay at GF Sugarloaf in 2 weeks! I have only stayed CL at Disneyland so I am very excited! I have already emailed the IPO because I have Celiac's and they made it seem like the chef would accommodate. That was a big deal because I didn't want to book CL if I couldn't eat the food! What do I have to look forward to? We stayed at GF GV in 2011 and I just love this resort... .I am sooo excited!
Excited for you and they are so wondering about accommodating all food allergies! You'll be suprised what the chefs will come up for you! I've been lactose intolerant for many yrs and I was amazed at how many dishes and even desserts they made! Now, not only do they have to accomodate that but also sugar free. So, you just make your needs know and let IPO know again a week before arrival. And then let the CL CMs know AGAIN, upon arrival. Just to make sure.

(I had to do this with YC CL and the Poly CL very recently)not the RPC. But we need to be very sure for our needs.

Everyone else, so happy to see you!

♥♥JungleCruiser,Sarah, remembering you always!♥♥

Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #3098
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Ooooh. You should request one of the turret rooms They're amazing.
Scroll about halfway down this page and you'll see one http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2932607 (they are King Deluxe - but extra special )
Thanks! Last time I requested the other deluxe king--with the whirlpool tub. They gave us the 1 right in the middle- the MK view was amazing! I usually love a balcony but I didn't really use it that trip coz the lovebugs were bad that week. The Turret rooms don't have balconies do they? But they do look fabulous. Such a nice decision to have to make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu'sMom View Post
Happy upcoming anniversary!!!! Wow! 35th!!!! That deserves a suite upgrade, I sure do hope you get one! And yes, you two have been blessed! So happy to read about your upcoming trip!
Thanks! And thanks to Disney for offering that 35% bounceback!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #3099
jillmc40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu'sMom View Post
Lol! I so agree with you! It's relative all right! Depends on who your relatives are! har har!
Anyways, I've never been much a DVC lover, but those inside GF DVC pics are really calling my name, and after showing DH, and after him seeing the contruction in April, he is very interested in buying into it. So,I gues s we'll see what happens in October. [crossing fingers] Good luck to you, too!
I don't know what got into me...I just started looking at it, crunching numbers, and the next thing I knew I had a contract...It was pretty easy to convince DH, but then again it always is. We aren't going back until Easter 2015 but then we will go 3 times in one year...YAY! Good luck to you too!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #3100
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! Last time I requested the other deluxe king--with the whirlpool tub. They gave us the 1 right in the middle- the MK view was amazing! I usually love a balcony but I didn't really use it that trip coz the lovebugs were bad that week. The Turret rooms don't have balconies do they? But they do look fabulous. Such a nice decision to have to make!
Yes - you're right about there being no balconies on the turret rooms.
I've stayed in both but preferred the turret over the rooms over Gasparilla's. Turret rooms are so unique. The views on that "honeymoon" hall are good but I don't love that area. I prefer being right on the lobby.

Just thought I'd mention it. As far as I know they are only a request anyway but if it's your anniversary... You're right - nice decision to have to make
k&a&c'smom can tell you all about them - she stays in one practically every trip

Hi Lulu'sMom
Old 06-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #3101
roryc
Mouseketeer

GF RPC with No Park Days...Maybe 1?

Just booked a last minute quick trip for RPC June 30-July 3. Will the waterslide be open then or not?

I am not even sure we'll do more than one park day because my children always beg to be at the pool at the resort, so that's why I booked this trip. My girls are 3, 8 and 11. I have been to WDW the 4th of July and I remember crowds, heat and humidity. So the parks are not calling me this time.

This will be our fifth trip to GF and 4th time to RPC in 7 years. My husband is all about the pool and the relaxing. One park day and I think we'll all be okay. Right?? Wrong?

Has anyone ever done a one-park, no park trip? We just went in November and then before that in December. And in November, the big pool was under reconstruction, no Gasparillas, no spa...so this has to be better, right?

We hadn't planned on a summer trip this year, but then I realized I had 5 days and nothing planned. 30% Summer room rates. SOLD!

Is there an after 2PM/4PM park ticket anymore?
Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #3102
chrisw127

DIS Veteran

Hi,

I was wondering if the gym is still open? I know Senses is but I can't seem to figure out where I can work out.

Thank you in advance. :-)
Old 06-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #3103
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Okay, just got home from my first whole day of work, and oddly enough, all I could think about was the GF! To be honest, while I really liked the Polynesian on this recent trip, I prefer the Grand a lot more! The kids have a four day weekend in October so I'm hoping for a 4-nighter at GF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw127 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if the gym is still open? I know Senses is but I can't seem to figure out where I can work out.

Thank you in advance. :-)
When I went to work out on Monday, it was fully operational back in its original building next to Senses, so yep the fitness center is back to its original location! At this point, construction is limited to the villas which extends to the edge of the Beach Pool. I think the villas will be done by October!
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #3104
chrisw127

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Okay, just got home from my first whole day of work, and oddly enough, all I could think about was the GF! To be honest, while I really liked the Polynesian on this recent trip, I prefer the Grand a lot more! The kids have a four day weekend in October so I'm hoping for a 4-nighter at GF!

When I went to work out on Monday, it was fully operational back in its original building next to Senses, so yep the fitness center is back to its original location! At this point, construction is limited to the villas which extends to the edge of the Beach Pool. I think the villas will be done by October!
Thank you! I wasn't looking forward to going over to the Contemporary--their gym is . . . kind of depressing.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #3105
MagicPrincess
DIS Veteran

Well, we did it! We surprised our kids on the last day of school this week- and we told them we are going to Disney this month! It was thee most awesome and magical surprise I have ever planned! ( I can't believe we kept it a secret for so long- I'm so proud of myself! LOL)

I decorated our dining room in Mickey Mouse colored crepe paper, made a big sign, and when I woke them up I told them I had a special last day of school breakfast planned (I made mickey pancakes, and had Donald duck OJ!), and I told them to come downstairs together....

My husband told me when they were on their way, so when he gave me the signal, I began to play "When you Wish Upon a Star"...when they walked into the dining room for their breakfast that morning, I said, "G an R, today is your last day of school, what are you going to do next?!?!" and my daughter yelled, "We're going to Disney World!" (meanwhile my son who is 7 is laughing not realizing what is happening) and I say, "WE ARE! WE ARE GOING TO DISNEYWORLD"!!! My daughter , who is 11, breaks down into tears, saying, "We are??? We're going to Disney???" It was thee most awesome moment EV-ER!!!! My son yells, "Did we win the lottery or something???"

I took video and need to find a way to share! It was probably one of the most awesome moments I have ever experienced being a parent. Everyone (besides my silly 7 year old LOL) was crying! It was great! I am so happy I went above and beyond to make it a special surprise!

The kids were so excited to go to school and tell all their friends and teachers about their big surprise, and now we are counting down the days until we go!

Grand Floridian- See Ya Real Soon!!!

Grand Floridian Sugarloaf August 2010

Grand Floridian Summer 2013

Me DH DD DS
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: