Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #1516
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Anybody have info on when California Grill really opens ?
From post #1 of this thread.

According to wdwmagic.com, The new California Grill is expected to re-open on September 1, 2013
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #1517
Irishlisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post

According to wdwmagic.com, The new California Grill is expected to re-open on September 1, 2013
I tried to get an ADR for November (15-22) and was told it would still be closed.

DH, Me, DS(9), DD(7), DD(5), DD(5)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #1518
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom
Anybody have info on when California Grill really opens ?
I continue to hear sometime in September from several sources. I am reasonably optimistic.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #1519
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Hi. I just read on the first page that, "The Atrium Club lounge and 12th floor rooms re-opened 2/19 after refurbishment ~ Thanks to: darby01_2007".

Have the Atrium Club rooms all been redone? If I were to book MK View - Atrium Club, am I going to get a room w/ the new decor?

Does anyone have pics of the "new" lounge?
Thank you.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #1520
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

California Grille is accepting ADRs in November. So, if all else fails and everything goes terribly of course, they are planning on definately being open by November.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #1521
JessietheNCCowgirl
Yeehaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
and thank you so much - you've made my day. I'm so glad you've found the thread helpful and were even able to convince DH and DD to book a TPV room! The odd room is perfect for sitting in bed watching the castle change colors. Your DD will love watching Wishes right from her balcony - the view is amazing. Your childhood dream will come true soon!

I'd be happy to add you to the Log. What ADRs have you booked?

KOOK
Thanks for adding us to the Log, WDWKook.

As far as ADRs go, we have the following booked:
Chef Mickey's Dinner (First Time)
Be Our Guest Dinner (First Time)
O'hana Dinner
Whispering Canyon Dinner
Garden Grill
Crystal Palace Breakfast

I am really looking forward to trying the 2 new restaurants for us. Won't be too much longer now!
Have a good weekend
Port Orleans-1992 & 1994 CBR & POFQ -2000 Coronado Springs-2001 Polynesian-2003 AKL & GF- 2004 WL & GF 2006 POFQ -2007 CBR-2008 Polynesian-2009 POR Aug & Oct 2010 POR Jan 2011, CBR Feb 2011, POFQ Aug 2011, POR Oct 2011, ASMo Dec 2011, Polynesian Feb 2012, Pop & POR May 2012, AoA and Yacht Club Oct 2012 BWI & YC Aug 2013, Poly Oct 2013, YC May 2014
Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #1522
Christinaxo
Mouseketeer

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone can help me. If a garden view garden wing room was booked, what kind of requests should one make? Traveling with young kids, want to be close to main tower (if that is what it is called lol). Originally was looking to stay at the POLY as a split stay with AKL but DH is loving the theming and ability to walk to MK, that comes with staying at CR. Thanks so much!

Me DH DS(9) DD(4)

AKL- Aug 2013 (1st Trip) CSR- Aug/Sept 2014
Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #1523
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
Okay, at the risk of sounding simple-minded, I am *confused* by this resort. I've been cruising resort threads and so far everything I've seen I can name a theme and determine easily if I love it or hate it.

The Contemporary is just *odd*... but I think it's kind of awesome. My first thought was, "Wait... is it *airport* themed? Holy >Dis inappropriate word< Is That A MONORAIL? IN the HOTEL! OMG that's AWESOME!"

So... in 100 words or less, what would you call the theming of this resort? I'm *almost* certain I love it but it's... I don't know what it is. I'm leaning toward "really cool."
Welcome and you're not simple minded at all.

One hundred words? Do I get extra credit if I go over or do I get marked down?

The primary theme of all Disney-owned resorts is all things Disney, but you already knew that. All Disney Resort names tell a story about the resort's theme and Disney's Contemporary Resort is no different. The Disney theme and the contemporary theme run throughout CR in both overt and more subtle ways.

As far as a secondary theme, I feel the iconic resort's mood is one that plays off of its proximity to Tomorrowland. Originally, the CR was to have a walkway right to Tomorrowland and is the reason it was positioned so closely. CR was to be an extension of sorts of Tomorrowland.

When you take Tomorrowland's WEDway PeopleMover, you'll notice "Progress City," a partial model/diorama of how Walt envisioned communities of the future and Epcot. Progress City includes a monorail and hotel. I always think of the CR when I pass by Progress City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willows909 View Post
I love this forum. Thankyou all so much for your responses. I've been to Disney numerous times...most of them in the POP Century resort. With my vacation changes because of hubby's job...I just think I'll go all out! I think I'm going for the Bay Lake Tower. It's just the two of us now, so I'll go for the relaxation and view of the lake. Everytime I read a new thread, I want to go to that resort... Let's face it, I just want to live at Disney.
YAY! Both BLT and CR have bookable Bay Lake Views. You might want to consider CR since the rooms are actually larger than a Studio at BLT, unless of course you need the kitchenette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
"Historically futuristic."
Is that an oxymoron? I think you're right though. The CR has been described as "retro-futuristic."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post

Thank you for posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishlisa View Post
I tried to get an ADR for November (15-22) and was told it would still be closed.
The CG head chef, (I link to his Tweets in Post #1), posted recently that it should be open in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
I continue to hear sometime in September from several sources. I am reasonably optimistic.
That's what I keep reading, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Hi. I just read on the first page that, "The Atrium Club lounge and 12th floor rooms re-opened 2/19 after refurbishment ~ Thanks to: darby01_2007".

Have the Atrium Club rooms all been redone? If I were to book MK View - Atrium Club, am I going to get a room w/ the new decor?

Does anyone have pics of the "new" lounge?
Thank you.

Yes, all the Tower rooms have been rehabbed, with the Atrium Club being the first completed, and the GW rooms are in-progress.

I haven't seen photos yet of the rehabbed lounge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post
California Grille is accepting ADRs in November. So, if all else fails and everything goes terribly of course, they are planning on definately being open by November.
Yes, that's correct and thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessietheNCCowgirl View Post
Thanks for adding us to the Log, WDWKook.

As far as ADRs go, we have the following booked:
Chef Mickey's Dinner (First Time)
Be Our Guest Dinner (First Time)
O'hana Dinner
Whispering Canyon Dinner
Garden Grill
Crystal Palace Breakfast

I am really looking forward to trying the 2 new restaurants for us. Won't be too much longer now!
Have a good weekend
WCC is so much fun and I hope you'll let us know what you thought of BoG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinaxo View Post
Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone can help me. If a garden view garden wing room was booked, what kind of requests should one make? Traveling with young kids, want to be close to main tower (if that is what it is called lol). Originally was looking to stay at the POLY as a split stay with AKL but DH is loving the theming and ability to walk to MK, that comes with staying at CR. Thanks so much!
There are three possible view requests with a GW/GV room:
~Facing Bay Lake
~Facing the canal
~Facing the pool

The first floors all have patios and none of the rooms have balconies. None of the rooms are far from the covered walkway to the Tower. We just loved our ground floor room that faced Bay Lake that we had once. It was fun for DD to walk out and feed the ducks or play in the grass or beach.

Last edited by WDWKOOK; 06-08-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #1524
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The primary theme of all Disney-owned resorts is all things Disney, but you already knew that. All Disney Resort names tell a story about the resort's theme and Disney's Contemporary Resort is no different. The Disney theme and the contemporary theme run throughout CR in both overt and more subtle ways.

As far as a secondary theme, I feel the iconic resort's mood is one that plays off of its proximity to Tomorrowland. Originally, the CR was to have a walkway right to Tomorrowland and is the reason it was positioned so closely. CR was to be an extension of sorts of Tomorrowland.

When you take Tomorrowland's WEDway PeopleMover, you'll notice "Progress City," a partial model/diorama of how Walt envisioned communities of the future and Epcot. Progress City includes a monorail and hotel. I always think of the CR when I pass by Progress City.

Quote:

Yes, all the Tower rooms have been rehabbed, with the Atrium Club being the first completed, and the GW rooms are in-progress.

I haven't seen photos yet of the rehabbed lounge.
Thank you
Old 06-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #1525
Lulu'sMom
You.Had.Me.At. Sticky.Mickey. ~And DOLE WHIPS too!

All I know is that when the 14th floor Tower Club is finished and I am able to book, I am on it !
If you have been able to experience this level of concierge at the CR, well, you would know this CL is well known to have this best guest service on property, hands down.
I can not wait to go back to experience the Tower Club again. Even the RPC CMs could learn some service lessons from them.

Waiting patiently for them to finish....... <<<<<<< lol

♥♥JungleCruiser,Sarah, remembering you always!♥♥

Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #1526
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu'sMom View Post
All I know is that when the 14th floor Tower Club is finished and I am able to book, I am on it !
If you have been able to experience this level of concierge at the CR, well, you would know this CL is well known to have this best guest service on property, hands down.
I can not wait to go back to experience the Tower Club again. Even the RPC CMs could learn some service lessons from them.

Would love to hear about any experience with this. We have two suites booked for July 2014 on the 14th floor.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #1527
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCFAN View Post
Would love to hear about any experience with this. We have two suites booked for July 2014 on the 14th floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu'sMom View Post

Welcome!

The Tower Club suites are due to be completed 24 June. I would love to book one of the STD rooms, but I didn't have luck in the past applying any discount. Have you or anyone else been able to apply a discount such as AP or military to a Tower Club level room?

I hope you get to book your room soon! Keep us posted
Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #1528
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Welcome and you're not simple minded at all.

One hundred words? Do I get extra credit if I go over or do I get marked down?

I wish you could walk directly in through an entrance over there. The times we've stayed at CR/BLT, it was annoying to have to walk that extra distance, knowing how much even shorter it would be if there were an entrance by Space Mountain!
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #1529
manicstreet
Earning My Ears

Quote:
to the DIS and the CR/BLT thread, manicstreet! We're honored to have your first post here. I hope you have a wonderful vacation at BLT. Is this your first stay?
This is my first stay at the contemporary/blt but not my first time in Disney. I have been going for as long as I remember. My first memories are of Donald's birthday in '84. I can not wait for this trip. My 3.5 daughter is super excited too. This thread is very informative. Keep up the great work.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #1530
WDWKOOK

The resort activity calendar links in post #1 have the JUNE schedule.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: