Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #31
DisneyChristmas
Mouseketeer since '55

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat37 View Post
Sorry i assumed you could. At night on the monorail I always look at that well lit pathway and just assumed it countinued all the wat to the Floridian.
For a really long walk (probably not with kids), you could walk from GF to Poly. Then take the highway/road into the CR (as if you were traveling by car) and then the walkway to MK...But only if you'd known that it would be two hours. Otherwise it's nutty. But do-able.
DisneyChristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #32
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyChristmas View Post
For a really long walk (probably not with kids), you could walk from GF to Poly. Then take the highway/road into the CR (as if you were traveling by car) and then the walkway to MK...But only if you'd known that it would be two hours. Otherwise it's nutty. But do-able.
Walking the road from the Poly to the CR would be very dangerous and not very smart. There is no sidewalk and there is a very real possibility you would be hit by a bus or car. There are no shoulders.

I wouldn't advise anyone to be so foolish.
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #33
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

That is really horrible! You kept your cool pretty darned well, I think.

I will say as far as the CMs yelling goes, I can kind of understand that. Some people just don't listen to them unless they are yelling.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #34
tmarquez
DIS Veteran

Wow what a pain!

We would have just said forget it and went pool hopping at the Poly instead.
tmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
SoonerSean
Mouseketeer

Did they offer to bring buses to the GF? When we had monorail issues a couple of years ago they said that they were bringing in additional buses. We stood in a line that would have filled 10 buses trying to get from the transportion center to EPCOT. We finally gave up after almost an hour of waiting for the mystery buses to appear.

We have stayed all over Disney but now splurge on the Contemporary just to be within walking distance of MK to be sure no transportation mishaps can derail our plans. We've even learned to take a bus to the next available park and then a bus from there to reach EPCOT vs. taking the monorail.

And once we simply took a taxi as it was quicker.

Can't imagine the day the OP had. What a stunning string of bad luck.
SoonerSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSean View Post
Did they offer to bring buses to the GF? When we had monorail issues a couple of years ago they said that they were bringing in additional buses. We stood in a line that would have filled 10 buses trying to get from the transportion center to EPCOT. We finally gave up after almost an hour of waiting for the mystery buses to appear.

We have stayed all over Disney but now splurge on the Contemporary just to be within walking distance of MK to be sure no transportation mishaps can derail our plans. We've even learned to take a bus to the next available park and then a bus from there to reach EPCOT vs. taking the monorail.

And once we simply took a taxi as it was quicker.

Can't imagine the day the OP had. What a stunning string of bad luck.
So glad to be staying at CR for our upcoming visit...just a short walk to MK!
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #37
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

Part of the problem is that every single person going to the MK (except those that can walk from the Contemporary) have to use some form of WDW transportation to get to the gates - either the monorail, the ferry, or a bus. There is really nothing you can do to make it better. You are dependent on WDW to get you to the gate.

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)
====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #38
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
Part of the problem is that every single person going to the MK (except those that can walk from the Contemporary) have to use some form of WDW transportation to get to the gates - either the monorail, the ferry, or a bus. There is really nothing you can do to make it better. You are dependent on WDW to get you to the gate.
Adding a small drawbridge* to bridge the canal between GF and MK would help a bit, as it would offer an alternative (albeit, a long alternative from Poly). Beyond that though, while Walt may have wanted the show, the realities of breakdowns are showing the major flaw in his MK parking lot idea

*This would have to be a drawbridge, since that canal is used for the Electric Boat Pageant (or whatever it's called) so the floats can get backstage.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #39
rolliev60
Mouseketeer

Wow, what a day you had. With the hundreds of trips I've made to WDW I've never seen anything like that. You really exhibited extraordinary patience to get to the MK and the fact that GS could care less was terrible. I'm glad you can find the humor in the situation and made the best of a bad start to your day.
rolliev60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #40
vdub322
Are we there yet?

Wow. I would be super annoyed at that whole situation. And I have to say...we noticed way more unfriendly CMs on our 2012 and 2013 trips. Of course there were good ones, but there were some horribly awful and indifferent ones. Just downright unhappy. It's unfortunate. Hope the rest of your day was magical!

vdub322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #41
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

This is why I personally believe CR has the upper hand against the other monorail resorts as if worst comes to worst and the lines are looking bad, you can take that 10 minute walk.
The monorail seems to be having problems (reading reports here and own recent experiences). Those lines are only going to get worse when the DVC villas open at GF too
bauer1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #42
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

Sorry your experience sucked. Information getting to the CM's can go such a long way. I'm willing to bet that the CM's rudeness was because thousands of people were pissed about their experiences with transportation, and it all just escalates.

If the CM's were told about what was going on, they would have been better prepared to handle the disgruntled guests.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #43
eticketride
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsdragon View Post
Sorry your experience sucked. Information getting to the CM's can go such a long way. I'm willing to bet that the CM's rudeness was because thousands of people were pissed about their experiences with transportation, and it all just escalates.

If the CM's were told about what was going on, they would have been better prepared to handle the disgruntled guests.
I wish I could agree with you, but the fact that she didn't believe us shows that we were the first to bring it to her attention. And the guy at the Pinocchio restaurant who threw the receipt at everyone he encountered and didn't talk to them had nothing to do with the transportation issue. It's really just representative of service/society in general today and the lack of manners. I get that. I just wish the "happiest place on Earth" could be an exception.

Thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts. I was fit to be tied yesterday at 11 am. Now it's a pretty funny story that I can pull out whenever people are telling Disney horror stories.
eticketride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #44
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Geez. 2 HOURS to get in the front gates. There really is no excuse for that and while I am sure it's coming from the apologists, I don't see how anyone could argue that is unacceptable.

As far as the cast members.. well its two fold. Guests are crankier, making cast members crankier, making guests crankier.. etc. Hard to say what the source is. It's probably part guest entitlement and part things breaking down all the time and people being stressed at being packed in like sardines and having to deal with things like waiting 2 HOURS to start their day.

I won't even take the monorail anymore because it's stops or is delayed or breaks down all the time. Not a risk I want to take most days.
Honestly, it's the job of the Cast Members *not* to be cranky. They're paid to smile and add to the magic, not take away from it, no matter how cranky the guests are. This was a big reason I disliked the CM experience at WDW in May, especially in MK. If a CM yelled at guests in DLR the way I saw CMs yelling at guests in MK, they wouldn't last long.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | Moving to L.A. 2015!

mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #45
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
Honestly, it's the job of the Cast Members *not* to be cranky. They're paid to smile and add to the magic, not take away from it, no matter how cranky the guests are. This was a big reason I disliked the CM experience at WDW in May, especially in MK. If a CM yelled at guests in DLR the way I saw CMs yelling at guests in MK, they wouldn't last long.
I never liked the whole idea that someone is paid to be nice, therefore they can't break for a minute and have a totally human moment. I don't care what you are paid, you are still human, and it is hard to pretend life is all sunshine and happiness the whole time you are working. Especially when you have people yelling at you and being rude. Even good workers may slip now and again.

If I have to interact with a cranky CM I try to be extra nice. It doesn't cost me anything! And yet it can make a huge difference in the CM's day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: