Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #31
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice416 View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is in regards to removing a child from school for a cruise. As a working mother I feel as if this time is a necessity to keep my family intact since I cannot take vacations during "prime time" season. Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?
In California we have "Short Term Independent Study". This is a minimum of 5 day and I am not sure if there is a maximum amount of days. A week or so before I take my son out of school I sign a contract and put down the days he will be away. All of his teachers will create work packets for the time he will be away. While he is gone he will complete the work he is given from his teachers. When we return he turns in the work and he will get credit for the work he does and the School will get credit for him attending school as long as he does the school work. We are happy because we get vacation and not pay top price for the cruise and the School is happy because they get paid the same as if he was in school. The nice thing is some of the teachers will give him special assignments based on the vacation we are going on.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #32
ansmom
Earning My Ears

I took my kids out this past January and I'm going to take them out next January as well. I let the teachers know well in advance and it was not a problem. I tried to pick a month where they didnt have much going on so no testing or anything like that.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
Huntley_Fam
Earning My Ears

Only you can say what is right for you and your family. That being said, we have taken our children out of school on multiple vacations. We had wonderful trips and our kids are still bright, responsible, well adjusted children! They have been able to come back and not really miss a beat. Our oldest is now entering high school so we do not plan on going on any more week long trips during the school year, but up until now, we were able to manage it just fine! Good luck!
Huntley_Fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #34
Lauriejl2
Mouseketeer

I used to never take my kids out of school but just last January we did for the 1st time for a week and my dh let the schools know ahead of time and the elementary teacher was very supportive... I asked for work for my son and she wouldn't give it said go let him enjoy then she will catch him up when we get back. The middle school teachers all gave my son work and some was online so he tried to keep up. We are doing the same thing again in May for our cruise. I bid on vacation time and am low senior at work if I wait to get time off when the kids are off we will never get to go on vacation !
Old 06-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #35
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

We did take our daughters out during their elementary and middle school years but for that last three years in high school we waited for school vacations under the assumption that it would they wouldn't get too much homework during the vacation period. In reality both girls had double the work and at least one project due the Monday after vacation. It made for very stressful vacations. With my oldest daughter off to college next year we will now cruise during her Winter break in January and pull my youngest out of school for that week. I feel if the teachers really wanted us to go on vacation during the school vacation periods they wouldn't double the workload for that vacation time. Just my opinion.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #36
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

My kids' school district will let the kids out of school as long as its not more than a week. You have to give the school a 2 week notice so the kids can get their work completed before they go or turned in the day they return. I have had no issues and will do it in the future. It did not put my son behind at all. His teacher had him do all the makeup work at school so he could relax on vacation.

Everyone has their own opinion on this subject. Some people will think its no big deal to take a child out of school, while others wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. Do what works for your family.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
If the school tried that, I would pull my kids out of school and do home schooling and then they wouldnt get ANY money for my kids.

In all reality, I would have no problems pulling kids out of school for family reasons. I would of course work with the teachers to get homework, etc. but I would not let them tell me I couldn't. Yes, I know I have issues with authority, but I think we have forgotten about what really matters.....FAMILY. It is one of the most important things we will ever have and is one of the few things that can last beyond this life. When we keep that in mind, we will realize that I. The long run taking a kid out of school for a week or two out of the year is nothing by comparison to not being able to build and maintain those family bonds.

So, if it seems I am insistent about this, well I am.
This, exactly. We're looking at a school that will apparently pull your slot if you miss a certain number of days and it has me completely turned off, even though it's supposed to be a great school. They're my kids, I will decide whether their absences are justified. It horrifies me that there are districts that will send you a truancy notice after 3 days.

My parents always pulled me and my brother out of school for a week in January to go to Disneyland - every year until I was a senior in high school (and I was also IB, pp - it worked out). I don't ever remember missing anything of importance, but I sure do remember those trips. I have every intention of doing the same for my kids.

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #38
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

I so agree with caribbeandreaming and yellowstonetim about how vacations and travel can be educational. I was a secondary ed teacher, so it's very important to me but I truly think you can learn so much - maybe as much or more than a textbook - in life experiences. It's up to the parents to help make it educational and as stated, you can find math, science, history even physical ed in every vacation. My 3YO knows geography more than, sadly, some high school kids including naming and pointing to all the states and the countries we go to on our cruise or places I travel to for work.

Get to know the crew, have your kids learn from them about their cultures first-hand instead of by researching on the web. Go into the ports and meet the people, see the currency, show life in that town/country. Even with Dolphin Discovery, it's a conservation and life science education. Teach the real young kids about clocks, time and how their activities in the navigators apply. Teach measurements and how they apply to the Aquaduck, Mickey slide etc. I could go on but I look forward to my daughter learning more from these experiences as she gets older and will not hesitate to pull her out in order to save money and meet our schedule availability as a family.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #39
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We pulled both kids out of school for a bit over a week every year from the time they were in kindergarten. We didn't have the luxury of taking time off during the summer due to DH's job, so we took it when the military allowed him to schedule breaks [civil support to military]. He traveled a great deal, so having the opportunity to spend 7 days together as a family away from his on call cell phone, the laptop, and the pile of paperwork was a priority for us. The year DS was in honors math and taking an online HS class in 7th grade was the first time it was difficult for him to catch up after returning to school even though he did a lot of work during the trip. Him asking us not to miss school for a cruise anymore is all it took. We have cruised during their three-week breaks the last couple years [YR school] so that has helped us. The kids have learned a lot on our cruises that has stuck with them. Thankfully the schools here have recognized that it is beneficial for kids to witness passing through the Panama Canal versus just reading about it, just for one example. DD was 6 when we went to the ruins at Costa Maya and repeated many of the facts that she heard on the tour for months. The kids still talk about stopping at the nearby village and distributing school supplies to the children there. DS14 will tell you his favorite port was Cartagena on the PC repo 5 years ago. Our travel inspired his love of geography. When he heard that we were leaving from Vancouver for our Alaska cruise the first thing he said was how excited he was that it meant he would have been in all three countries in North America then.

The kids have not suffered from the time off in any way. In fact, DS is leaving 8th grade tomorrow with 4 HS credits and is on track to finish his graduation requirements in 3 years.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #40
cfriend416
DIS Veteran

Just want to put in my two cents! I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are in high school and are not highly self-motivated students, I would be very hesitant to take them out of school for a week. Especially if their schools does block scheduling, in which traditional year-long classes are only a semester long. Missing a week of block scheduling is like missing two weeks of regularly scheduled classes. And that's just not fair to your kids who would be missing two weeks worth of material and making up two weeks worth of work. Further, it's really not fair to the teachers who are held accountable for the kid's success. But this is all just my opinion. As PP's have said, only you can decide what's right for your family. I just wanted to share a different perspective.
cfriend416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #41
DeniseMarie526
Whenever you pack your bags, never forget the pixie dust!

I have pulled my children out of schools for vacation. I normally speak to the teacher to try and obtain some educational activity to complete. Last year my DS had to do a travel journal while at WDW. Worked out great. But of course I also allow my children to call out,of school two days a year as long as they are maintaining good grades. I work hard at work, I get benefits like sick days and holidays. Why shouldn't they...lol
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #42
PATTERSON PARTY OF 3
Mouseketeer

Family Vacation is a must in our house, it keeps our family bonded. A week of no stress is the best quality time a busy family can spend. We pull our DD (10) twice a year for vacation. Spring & Fall. ... Yes I know most schools in the US get a spring and fall break so why do I let her miss 5 days of school the week after each? The answer is simple........I am an accountant. My daughter's school spring break falls the same week every year...April 15. As for fall break same time every year.... October 15. ( the day extensions are due)... I can not take off 2 off my busiest weeks of the year. Because majority of my clientele are businesses (who generally always file extensions) I can not go in the summer months either. Just not possible. She goes to a private school now and it is not an issue. She was in a Public school and they are strict on absences also but I talk to the teachers, they gave her double the home work the week before each break and off we go! I had to notify the district attendance coordinator in writing and we never received a nasty letter. I don' t feel we are sending the message that vacation is more important than school. Every situation is different, people tend to only think of there personal situations on a question such as this. It is not a financial issue for us, it is a time & professional issue.

That being said... I do know a family that takes 4 cruises a year that they do take their kid out of school for. They do not make arraignments for missed school work and usually no one but the child talks to the teacher about the fact they will be absent. They also feel that the missed assignments should not count since the child was absent. I do find that irresponsible.
PATTERSON PARTY OF 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #43
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

I feel that it isn't a big deal. We pulled my grade 3 son out of school for two weeks last year for our cruise and WDW. My wife used to teach grade 8. She thought it was for when a parent oiled their kids out of school. She would ask them to keep a journal of their trip to review with the class when the kid got back. I think kids get more out of a family vacation than they would in a week or two of school.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #44
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Every year my kids miss between five and ten days of school as we take family trips and vacations. We like traveling in the off season because prices are better and the places we like to go are less crowded. It works for us. My kids are both doing extremely well in school and they both do work far above their actual grade level. Honestly though even if they didn't I would still pull them out since I think there is a lot of value in family vacations and going to new places. You won't get a consensus on this question. Everyone is just doing the best they can for their families and that doesn't always mean the same path for everyone.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #45
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I pulled my son out of kindergarten for a 2 week cruise. He did fine academically because I had to do independent study with him while we were gone (I'm in CA). He didn't do as well on a social emotional level though. He was very disrupted and out of sorts for a month afterwards. Took a whole to adjust. He has some mild special needs including sensory issues. I'm tempted to do it again but I'm not sure if he would do well after we return home. Anyone else here dealt with adjustment issues after pulling out academically well performing children?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: