Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
dnice416
Earning My Ears

pulling kids out of school to cruise...

Just wondering what the consensus is in regards to removing a child from school for a cruise. As a working mother I feel as if this time is a necessity to keep my family intact since I cannot take vacations during "prime time" season. Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?
dnice416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Kendal
DIS Veteran

Let my reply to this and tell you what we do... We her pue out boy out of school for a week on 4 seperate vacations two cruises and a week in Tennessee... Withy that being said h was in 1st grade... 2grade and 3 grade..... With a cruise booked in march o 2014..... His homework was done prior to him goin on vacation thank god the teachers worked well with us.... He has been very good keeping his grades up.... I told my wife this past year in Tennessee that maybe his 4grade year will be it with family vacations during school but it will still be open we have to see how he is learning and doin well I school... If it starts to be har for him te we will for sure not be able to do it any longer.... I think as long as u can swing it I say go for it everybody needs a break sometime.... Hope this helps a little

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Disneyfirstimers2013
Mouseketeer

I think it depends on the age of the kids. I pulled my kids this year (grades 2 & 4) but would not do it once the older one hits middl school due to the workload in school. Even this time they had quite a bit of work to do when we got back (I got it from the teacher before we left).
Disneyfirstimers2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Davistigers
Earning My Ears

The schools in our school district mark anything over a 3-day absence as "Truant" and reports it to the school district main office. I got nasty letters sent to me for both kids reporting that they had a truancy on their record now. This is all AFTER I had already spoken with both kids' teachers at 2 different schools and they had said OK and even given us homework to do on the vacation. Our district is super strict about attendance due to the state funding issues.

However, when I was little my parents pulled my brother and I out of school for at least a week every October so we could go on a family vacation. My dad worked in a summer-heavy business and this was the only time we could all go. Those were some of my best memories of travel, discovery and family time.

Davistigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
twinstars
Mouseketeer

We do not pull our kids out of school for vacations because we feel that would send our kids the wrong message that vacation is more important than school.
twinstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice416 View Post
Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?
There are lots of ways to bond with your children that doesn't involve pulling them out of school for a Disney cruise.

Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

If your kids are good students, meaning they do their best and aren't struggling, then pull them out. I was a teacher before we had our dd and never had a problem with my students going on family vacations. I taught in a private school so we didn't have to deal with the truancy issue.
They are YOUR kids not the school's and not the state's. Do what you think is best for them and your family. Just be prepared to help them catch up when they get back.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
4 The Love Of Disney
Pro-Planner

We pull our children out for about two weeks straight during the school year. Our school board isn't as strict with truancy rules as a previous poster pointed out. We do the same thing by getting homework and reading targets as another poster mentioned. And my oldest in in grade 5, so I don't know that I will do this after he reaches grade 6.

I don't have a problem doing it. My personal opinion. As long as my children are prepared with school work to do while on vacation, then I am ok with it.

Watch out Mickey, here we come!

2014 - Disney Fantasy and POR
2013 - Disney Dream, POR & runDisney weekend
2011 - POR, Disney Dream, Boardwalk Inn
2010 - POR
2009 - All Star Movies - Toy Story bldg
2008 - All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies
2006 - Animal Kingdom
2005 - Offsite
4 The Love Of Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

We pulled our kids out of school for a cruise earlier this year, and we will do it again at least twice before my oldest moves on to middle school. For us, it's about the price...it's SO much cheaper to cruise anytime school is in session.

We are in Texas, and the truancy laws are strict...however, our school district "allows" 5 days of unexcused absences for family vacations. We still get a warning letter, but the kids are allowed to make up work before and after the vacation. We've pulled out twice (for another vacation), and both times the teachers were totally pleasant and supportive.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

We are pulling our 8 yr old out to cruise in October. I have a very different view. I don't believe it sends a wrong message at all. We are a family of five. I stay home with my kids so we don't have much disposable income so our family vacations are not often, hopefully once a year. My kids will and do understand the importance of an education so I don't believe them missing school for a few days is going to completely change their values or beliefs. If we did it all the time, maybe(especially if they are teens), but my kids definitely understand that vacations are a treat and not a necessity and should be appreciated not expected...or at least my oldest does.

I think there are far more things to worry about when it comes to parenting that parents often overlook that are "damaging."
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
floridaminnie
WDW is my 2nd home and working on DCL being my 3rd!
Give me a foot massage andI'm yours!
Friends don't let floridaminnie grade papers drunk from too many margaritas!

In Middle school I would go one but no more than two days and thus year in 8th grade she missed a lot of work. I don't think I will be able to do that when she is in HS next year.

7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
floridaminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

I have pulled my kids out of school for a trip to WDW and will be pulling them out for a cruise in October. It will be the last time we will be able to do this, because dd will be in the 5th grade and I won't pull her once she is in middle school. Also, this was the ONLY time my dh could get vacation.

Since both are good kids, I am not going to worry about it.

I used to teach middle school and I didn't mind letting parents know what their child would be missing. Most would make sure the child made up the work and would coordinate a time with me so I could help them catch up if necessary.

Just make sure if the teacher gives your child work to do while gone, that they do it.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
Kbrush
Mouseketeer

I think there are times when time spent together as a family in a relaxing manner IS more important than school. If it truly feels as if it is genuinely more important than the school days missed then that is a good indication of whether its OK to go.

I took my daughter out of school in 2nd Grade to go to WDW in October because the grandparents were taking ALL the first cousins. My DD is adopted, I'm a single mom, and my parents are dead. This was my brother's kids and his wife's parents and siblings who have all embraced my daughter and myself as part of their clan. It was VERY important that we went because they hasn't thought to invite us two years previously.

I am taking my daughter out next year for two days because we are moving and switching schools and want to spend time with two best friends who are also adopted. We will not have seen them for awhile and all want to try to maintain the friendships as the family histories are very similar and the friendships are emotionally supportive for the girls.

I would not skip school to take my DD on vacation just for fun or to save money.
Kbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
flyersfan1129
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice416 View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is in regards to removing a child from school for a cruise. As a working mother I feel as if this time is a necessity to keep my family intact since I cannot take vacations during "prime time" season. Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?
My husband and I are in the same boat, as both our companies work on the fiscal year, so June and July are out, and August is difficult. Our son is an excellent student, so we pull him out for one week a year for vacation. While there may be other ways to bond, as another poster has stated, I don't think a week is going to make that big a difference. I personally think that taking one week a year to show my son that our family is important to all of us is a lesson well learned, and is just as important as anything he is learning in school. That being said, we ALWAYS bring his homework with, and we make sure it is done, and we still get the letter from the district that the absence is unexcused.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

My advice is to do what is best for your family. You have one life to live and if that is what works for you and your child, then do it. The memories last a lifetime. You are not going to get to your grave and say "sure am glad I didn't take my child out of shool in 2013. No, you are going to think "sure am glad I spent that magical cruise with my child". My DH is wayyyy against missing school for vacations.......guess it goes without saying that we don't agree on this LOL! Our girls do have a short week this fall, and he is finally coming around to maybe letting them miss a few days for vacation.

I hope it works out perfectly for you. You are the parent, YOU know best. <thumbs up goes here!>
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: