Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #76
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

It's so hit and miss as far as how people are going to react to something like this I'd just say you'd have to proceed with caution and really think of how the other side would see how your daughter approaches them.

Anyone crossing a shop or coming across a street or approaching a table at a restaurant with that person being focused on my (fictitious at this point) child would freak me. I can imagine if I was trying to calm my child down or if they were misbehaving or something like that and someone even with good intentions came up, again I'd be unhappy. However, in a more casual or for lack of a better word "intimate" way...or really just more subtle, that just has a different energy to it. I could imagine it being received much better if say you and your daughter were in line and there happened to be a BBB princess in front or behind you and your daughter saying in a stage whisper, loud enough for the child to hear but not screaming obviously, "Mom...did you see Belle is behind us in line?!" Then you're right by the parent and can easily gauge their reaction to it and also how the child handles it. Does she hear and suddenly become shy or does she say "daddy, they think I'm a real princess!" ? I've been in line with little ones around me and if it was appropriate started a tiny conversation with them like "Oh I like your shirt? Is Cinderella your favorite?". It's subtle, not overwhelming to the child or parent and you can easily tell if its ok to keep talking or if it's better to just let it go.

I think it's great that your daughter wants to make these kids feel special. It's not something I think anyone should discourage her from feeling. What she needs to be aware of is just that not everyone wants that attention or wants their child getting that attention from a stranger, so how she handles and approaches the situation makes a huge difference. Even if she finds a way to do it where 99% of parents and kids love it, there will be someone who doesn't and she should be prepared for that. I would just hate to hear that she did this and a parent yelled or got really upset to the point where it discouraged your daughter from wanting to ever make a difference.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #77
katt789
DIS Veteran

I personally think that the autograph idea is super cute and makes the kids feel amazingly special.

That being said, I wouldn't be okay with it if someone came up to my daughter from across a bit of space, if we're all in line for something, on the monorail car, or say, waiting for an ADR, then it would be okay. As for the picture, that's something you definitely ask to the parents "she's so cute, do you mind if I take a picture with your princess?" instead of to the child, as they may be all gung ho about it when the parents are more than hesitant!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #78
Gamegrl1
Mouseketeer

Seems ok if you're in costume too

This is an interesting thread. I never thought to do what the OP said and I don't want to now, but I'll weigh in with special circumstances...

If you go to MNSSHP (which I've been blessed to go to the last 2 years at DLR), I've taken a bunch of photos of guests wearing Halloween costumes (mostly adults, but a few kids as well) and no one objected...in fact, they seemed pleased to have their photo taken and I even posed with complete strangers! But again, it's different circumstances because we were all in costume so that really changed the vibe.

It's hard to say what I'd do in that case since I'm not a mom but I *might* balk at a stranger taking a pic of just my kid.

To add to the subject of pixie dust, someone on another thread suggested carrying Disney stickers to give to kids who are either behaving really nicely or having a meltdown (to cheer 'em up!). I plan on doing that as I think that would brighten a guest's day (and save room in my autograph book for the authentic Disney characters who are paid to sign and have their pics taken. )

Last edited by Gamegrl1; 06-06-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: add bit about stickers
Gamegrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #79
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

I wouldn't mind you asking my daughter for an autograph if you were standing next to her in line. I'm not sure if I would want you to randomly approach her, as we specifically teach her not to speak to people she doesn't know. I would mind you taking a picture of her. So, I guess if you can, ask the parents before approaching their little girl.

That being said, I am sad that is my response. I hate that I have to be so cautious, even for what is just a really wonderful, random act of kindness.

OP, you're daughter sounds like a really sweet, kind hearted girl. I hope my own daughter when she becomes a teenager is just that way.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #80
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

It is always safe to quietly ask the parents if it is okay, and then give a nod to your daughter.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #81
mi*vida*loca
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

I'm a very laid back person. I don't get bent out of shape over many things.

I wouldn't mind it at all and DD would be THRILLED. I would even take my own pics of it. She would probably talk about it all day.

10/2003 & 3/2008 - Offsite
3/2009 - CBR

8/2011 - CBR

mi*vida*loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #82
WolfpackFan
Retired and loving every minute of it!!

Personally I think it is great what OP's DD is doing. There is just too much negativity and too many haters in this world. I would much rather hear about someone like the DD doing what she did rather than hearing about someone loosing their gun in Animal Kingdom.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #83
sabrecmc
DIS Veteran

We've actually had several occasions where CM's have whipped out autograph books for DD to sign when she was all dressed up. She ate it up! Maybe not all kids would, but she loved the attention.

One time, she was dressed up in a custom Mary Poppins outfit...the Jolly Holiday one. Complete with parasol, the works. Absolutely adorable, if I do say so myself. She got loads of attention that day and many people took her picture. I actually appreciated if they asked, because really, they could've just taken it. We did have several groups of what I believe were Japanese girls that wanted to be in the picture with her. Seemed a cultural thing and didn't bother me or DD, who would've happily posed with the entire park, led the parade, whatever I'd let her get away with.
sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #84
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Autograph book..can't see the problem with that. But these days, if you wish to specifically photograph a child who belongs to someone you don't know, you'd best ask the parent. It's assumed now that all photos will wind up on the internet and some parents just don't want that.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #85
momofmaz
Mouseketeer

It was a very cute and sweet gesture but I would probably not be up for the pictures being taken of my child.
momofmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #86
Day-Day
DIS Veteran

What a shame; the picture taking would make the little princess feel even more important and special than just giving the autograph. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that so many people have problems with the photos but I just don't see the issue. Some folks just can't relax.
Day-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #87
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

It's not fair to dismiss how a parent feels though. They have every right to say "No I don't want you talking to or taking pictures of my child" for whatever reason they want.

Mara Wilson (the little girl from Matilda, Mrs Doubtfire, Miracle on 34th st, etc) just wrote an article about child stardom and in it she mentions that someone had taken a picture of her as a child and put it on the head of someone on an adult website. I don't recall when that picture was found but it's reasonable to assume whoever took that picture did it with "the best intentions" and someone got ahold of it and did what they did with it. My point is that original picture was made available to the public, be it online or in a magazine. With how people post pictures on twitter, facebook and instagram and any number of other sites, anyone in those pictures to a lesser extent is also put out there for public consumption. I'm sure those pictures are taken with the best intentions and no one ever thinks that anything bad will happen with those pictures but frankly it can and does. Not that I'm saying everyone who takes a picture of a child is going to do this but it's a possibility.

On google there's a way to search pictures. They recommend doing it on dating sites, that you somehow use the picture posted on the site and google it to see if maybe it was stolen and someone is faking who they are. If you can do that, is it so far a stretch for someone to find a picture of a child and do the same thing in a way where they obsess over the child? Not at all.

There are plenty of real entirely valid reasons why someone wouldn't like to have a picture taken. There's also parents who might just say no. They're allowed. To say anyone is being overly paranoid or protective, that's no one's call to make here. It's the right of the parent to say no. Their reasoning really doesn't matter in this argument.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #88
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

I have a 5-year old very girly girl. I think if a sweet 16-year old asked her for an autograph and a pic while she was all princessed up, she would be thrilled! But, it has to be truly genuine. But then again, I always give pic permission in school and camp consent forms. I am a glass half full person who thinks most people are truly kind.

It sounds like your daughter should be encouraged to follow a future career in Disney. Do I see a future cast member?

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #89
theparsons
DIS Veteran

My twin daughters were 11 when they did BBB back in 2008. After they were done with the makeover we started walking down Main Street. Now, being identical twins they always garner a bit of attention (even now at nearly 17 they still dress alike and get noticed because they are so identical).....but the attention they got that morning was so magical. A Photopass guy stopped and ask them if they would pose for him....then took them up and down the street doing portraits with all different buildings behind them not just the castle.....they had a group of Asian tourists gesture that they wanted to take photos with the girls (something that ordinarily would freak me out, but I understood WHY).....there were 4 or so of them and each had to stand with the girls while another snapped several photos......the Dapper Dans came over and sang to them on bended knee.....oh heavens they felt like real live princesses. We finally made it to the photopass place for their photo-shoot and who came walking out but Mary and Bert and they ended up with probably a 10 minute totally private discussion since we were inside the building and no one noticed us!

All this to say that all that attention is exactly what they wanted and absolutely positively made their day!

I do agree with the other posters though that some caution needs to be taken to be sure that you don't frighten a shy little one.....and the idea to ask mom/dad first might be wise......most times though a minute or two of observing can tell you if a young princess is shy or outgoing. Sounds like OPs daughter is aware of this particular issue and should be able to make the right choice.

Spreading pixie dust is one of my favorite things.....I'm not sure parents would feel comfortable with this middle-aged Pooh sized woman going up to their kid, but I just may suggest it to my now nearly 17 year olds.....to pay back some of the love they received!
theparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #90
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

Teen girl asking little princess for pic and autograph: ok. Grown man doing the same: creepy.
Somewhere out there is a pic of ds at age 5 with a group of teen girls he chatted up while in the ToT ride. He'd been on the ride 8 times that day and it was this group's first ride. They thought he was the cutest little guy (they were right!).
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: