Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsDad View Post
I thought in the past when serious issues with the monorail/ferry have come up they will run buses from the TTC to MK?
Am I mistaken in thinking they have done that before? I know they have run buses from TTC to Epcot when that monorail went down, because I had to take one, only to see a crowded monorail pass overhead about half way.
In October, we took a bus from the TTC to MK on our last morning because the monorails were down. Our options were ferry or bus, and since a ferry had just left, we opted for the bus.

OP, I'm sorry you had such a hard time getting to MK (2 hours, OUCH! ), and that the CM at guest relations was not much help. I'm glad you were able to keep a positive attitude and salvage the rest of your day!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
RMColosimo
Mouseketeer

Wow... I will be there next Sunday. I was kind of excited to have my kids ride the monorail. Should I be rethinking that?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
katt789
DIS Veteran

Wow!! That is quite an insane story! Glad that you managed to keep it together and have a magical trip without those moments!!

I definitely have noticed a couple of cm's here and there be more snarky towards the guests, but I have noticed a lot more guests be snarky to the cm's. Like pp's have said, it's an ever going on cycle that sometimes ends up being taken out on the wrong person. I've noticed it's usually a guest will be snarky to a cm, and then the next guest the cm deals with gets the snarkyness. That shouldn't be happening.

However, treat them with respect and hopefully you'll get it back!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
meat37
Earning My Ears

With seeing that line at the Grand Floridian I think I would have just made the 15 min walk around the lagoon.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat37 View Post
With seeing that line at the Grand Floridian I think I would have just made the 15 min walk around the lagoon.
Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking the OP probably left their "walk on water" superpower at home for this trip.

There is no way to walk from the GF to the MK. Or from the Poly.
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
meat37
Earning My Ears

Sorry i assumed you could. At night on the monorail I always look at that well lit pathway and just assumed it countinued all the wat to the Floridian.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
ConvenientTruth
Mouseketeer

Wow....

The Monorail is one area that could use a major upgrade. I'm not sure how feasible it is to undertake such a large project, but it has to be better then these breakdowns) I encounter one over memorial weekend...luckily we had no where near the issue the OP had.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
darnheather
DIS Veteran

What a bummer. The monorail used to be so cool back in the day. Glad you managed to have a good day nonetheless.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat37 View Post
Sorry i assumed you could. At night on the monorail I always look at that well lit pathway and just assumed it countinued all the wat to the Floridian.
It does look that way. If you find an overhead view you will see that the path is interrupted by a canal.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #25
asta
DIS Veteran

The people who should really be upset are the guests staying at the GF. Before I get beat up by all of the non monorail resort guests let me point out that I know WDW changed their policy several years ago and do not now check resort IDs at the TTC before letting people on the resort monorail. I am old nough to remembers hen they did that.

I am upset that WDW would expect that small boat to seve that big of a crowd. This boat is designed to serve guests at the GF and Poly. There is no way it could handle a resort monorail that was loaded at the TTC with guests only headed to the MK. The system is not designed to work the way it is now being used.

Guest staying at a monorail/MK resort pay more for better access to the MK and Disney is taking that benefit away. Most people understand and accept that you can't park at the Cont, Poly or GF for quicker access to the MK unless you are a guest. WDW has guards that enforce this. I don't understand why the resort monorail or resort boats are not reserved for guests dining or staying at those resorts.
asta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #26
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eticketride View Post
First sign of trouble was a HUGE line that looked like it was for the monorail, so we say, no problem, we'll take the ferry. Whoops, that line was for the ferry; the monorails were down. The ferry line wound all the way back to past the entrance to the monorail.
My heart stopped when I got this far in your post - this is my LEAST favorite sight at MK..... walking through the gates at TTC & seeing the ferry line stretttttttttttch out past the monorail.

OP - good for you for keeping your humor & good spirits during this challenge! I hope you get a major sprinkle of pixie dust before your trip is over!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
capegirl
DIS Veteran

Good grief! My hat is off to you OP for getting through such a challenging, and frustrating situation. When I saw those lines at the GF, I think I would have taken a taxi to another park until the dust had settled. Too bad about the rude CM's. Granted they have bad days too, and this day was off the tracks, but that does not give them a license to be snarky with guests.
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Good to see you handled it well. I'm not sure what we would have done. Probably headed to a different park. I can imagine how a lot of people were treating the CM's with those kinds of issues. Probably why the CM's were a little out of sorts as well. No excuse, but we are all human and have bad days.

Without sounding like an apologist, these things are mechanical and they break down. It sounds like they did everything they could, but did not have the capacity to solve it completely. The bigger issue is that they need to update the monorail, but not sure I see it happening with the costs.

I am happy that you had a good overall vacation and didn't let your negative experience ruin it.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
eticketride
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by asta View Post
The people who should really be upset are the guests staying at the GF. Before I get beat up by all of the non monorail resort guests let me point out that I know WDW changed their policy several years ago and do not now check resort IDs at the TTC before letting people on the resort monorail. I am old nough to remembers hen they did that.

I am upset that WDW would expect that small boat to seve that big of a crowd. This boat is designed to serve guests at the GF and Poly. There is no way it could handle a resort monorail that was loaded at the TTC with guests only headed to the MK. The system is not designed to work the way it is now being used.

Guest staying at a monorail/MK resort pay more for better access to the MK and Disney is taking that benefit away. Most people understand and accept that you can't park at the Cont, Poly or GF for quicker access to the MK unless you are a guest. WDW has guards that enforce this. I don't understand why the resort monorail or resort boats are not reserved for guests dining or staying at those resorts.
I don't really disagree with you. They should be mad because they pay extra and their special perk is broken. Also, they should be mad because once the express monorail broke, only half the people in line at the Poly could get on the resort monorail because it was already full from the TTC. I told my wife I can't imagine how ticked I would be to spend that much to stay on the monorail line and not be able to get on.

As for the person who thought it was ridiculous that my wife asked if they could move or turn off the generator, it's not like they were using it to pump out a flooded basement at an orphanage. They were doing not-critical cleaning and the thing was literally 6 feet away from the line. There was only about 2 acres of other available space to move it to.

And finally, I get that the CMs are tired and grumpy because the guests are rude (and seemingly ignorant as well). But still, I deal with rude and ignorant people every day of my life at work. I can't get away with yelling at them like they are misbehaving 5 year olds. As to the friendly CM's, I go out of my way to hopefully spread cheer their way because I know they are probably sick and tired of dealing with all the rude guests.

Oh well, again, thanks to those who have read and commented. I think it will be a long time before we choose monorail over the ferry.
eticketride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
eticketride
Earning My Ears

Another thing to add, leaving and going to another park wasn't really an option. We were on day 4 of the FL Wild pass and had already been to the other parks this year. You can't really tell a 3 year old that we are going back to Epcot instead of going to ride Dumbo. Also, by the time I realized we were in deep poop, it was almost 10. The optimist in me kept saying, "Surely this line is going to move soon. Right? They guy said they had extra boats...." So even though we were late, I didn't think we could do any better getting to another park, even if that was an option.

We did seriously debate just going home (Tampa) and coming back today, but the tropical storm and the EMH at MK on Thursday eliminated that option. We even talked about trying to find a room on-site to stay the day and come back for the EMH, but the 3 dogs at home wouldn't have appreciated being left alone for 36 hours.

Finally, our 4-day passes expire tomorrow, so we had to use them when we could. Friday was not an option for us because of our work schedules.

Really though, it was not that bad once we got inside and we started re-working the plan. It was sort of gratifying to know that we did everything we wanted by making a new touring plan on the fly in spite of getting the late start.
eticketride is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: