Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
WisconsinDad
Mouseketeer

My vote would be WL.

I've never stayed at AKL but I've considered it in the past. The problem is I would would want a room with a Savanna view and those cost as much as many of the other deluxes that are more convenient or have more amenities. For example, for the cost of a Savanna view room, you could stay at one of the Epcot resorts (YC/BC/BWI) or in the CR-GW. I would pick any of those over AKL-Savanna view.

Just my $.02.
WisconsinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran

I'll caveat this by saying we haven't stayed at either, we are going to AKL next week and are very excited. But for me this decision comes down to a couple things. Do your kids and family love animals? Mine does. I didn't even consider another resort because of this. Can you swing the savanna view room and will you be around the resort enough to enjoy it and all the AKL amenities? The savanna view rooms are going to be more than WL. I have heard the pool view at AKL is nice as well but I suspect its equally nice at WL.

Finally, I've been on these boards a lot. Some people don't like AKL because it only has buses. More people insist its little to no extra time to get to the parks because it does not share buses. Obviously the monorail resorts and Epcot resorts are the exception to this but WL does not fall into those categories.

I suspect you can't go wrong.
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

We love both. That being said, my DD (15) wanted to stay at AKL this time because it was going to be hot and she thinks of AKL as more of a warm weather resort and WL as a cold weather. We stayed at WL in February and with the cool air, it does feel like being in the PNW.

BUT! if you plan on going to MK alot, I would pick WL for the boat convenience

DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Both are nicely themed. WL is close to the MK (if you go there a lot, that can be a big plus). We choose AKL because the theming is richer, the animals are real and amazing to watch, and the pool area is large and very nice. But I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Both AKL and WL have limits of four to the standard hotel room. You would need two deluxe rooms that sleeps six at a minimum with eleven guests. Or get three rooms and hope that one connects to another. Otherwise one adult will be sleeping in each of the two rooms.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #21
StephyDee
One day the tag fairy will pity me enough to give me an awesome tag. Until then?.....BACON AND DUCKS! >:D

My brother and his family go to Disney A LOT, and just this last trip (a couple weeks ago) they stayed at AKL. I've visited the resort too, so I know how it is, and my brother made a point of saying "While it was nice experience and different, it felt too much like a hotel rather than being at Disney. I don't think we'll be staying there in the near future." I can see where he's coming from, so for some reason it just doesn't click for us. Yes, the animals are a nice touch, and I can see how some people would pick that in a heartbeat, but considering you're not gonna be at the resort for most of your days, I'd want the limited time I have to feel like I'm in DISNEY. My brother and his family (he has 3 kids, 12, 8, and 4) have gone to WL multiple times, and they LOVE it! The ease of just hopping on a boat (which is a treat for many people) and going to the MK is SO worth the lack of 'animals' IMO. Being able to get to other resorts/monorail is also a plus. That, and the inside of the WL usually is pretty impressive when you first step in.

In the end it's your decision, but if were up to me, I'd pick WL.

My Ultimate Dream: To see Walt Disney World during Christmas time...and not worry about how much it costs to reach that dream...*sigh*
StephyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
flamark
Mouseketeer

Wilderness Lodge! We have stayed at both and they are very similar in room size. My kids weren't really that impressed with the animals on the savanna. We like the pool better at WL as well. A thing we really enjoyed and I'm not sure they do this anymore was at WL we were the "flag family" one morning and got to help raise the flags over the lodge. One of the most memorable experiences of our many trips. If they still do it , you would definitely have to request it. Maybe others can share whether it is still being done.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #23
Skysdad
Believe in the Magic

We have stayed at both and Loved them both! My suggestion do a split stay and decide for yourself. I know it sounds like a hassle but Disney makes it very easy to do this.
Good Luck and don't worry your decision will be the right one.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #24
nkereina
Wendy Darling

IMO, one of the features that makes a deluxe resort worth the extra money is the alternate transportation to multiple parks. WL has the boat to MK which you can also take to CR, which opens up the possibility of other TS restaurants that are easy to get to as well as the option to take the monorail to Epcot by transferring through TTC. At AKL, the only option is the bus and some of the bus rides can be long ones at that, due to the remote location.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #25
Princesss
Earning My Ears

We're doing both on our upcoming trip. There was no more availability at AKL for a couple of nights so we're moving to WL. I'm very happy we're doing a split stay but I'm not sure I would have planned it that way if I wasn't forced to. I love AKL and think it really offers the most overall unique experience.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Sept 2009
Princesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #26
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

I Love both - can't get a vote out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partygal View Post
Animal kingdom lodge since it has real animals
WL also has real animals: We had a full grown wild deer in the woods right outside our patio last summer, and there are typically wild ducks (sometimes with ducklings) swimming in the pool. Not to mention the small rabbits that love munching the low shrubs.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #27
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesss View Post
We're doing both on our upcoming trip. There was no more availability at AKL for a couple of nights so we're moving to WL. I'm very happy we're doing a split stay but I'm not sure I would have planned it that way if I wasn't forced to. I love AKL and think it really offers the most overall unique experience.
This is what we do most stays too. Start off at one and move to the other. Key to me is to make sure we're moving to the larger room of the two not downsizing... and the longer half is in the larger room also.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #28
maryandtyson
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at both. Returning to AKL this year for a couple of reasons. 1. I love animals! 2. I have a dream of going to Africa one day 3. The food at Boma and the Mara are far and away better than the food at WL or BC, for that matter 4. We rent a car and choose to drive about half the time so the bus issue isn't an issue. We would definitely consider WL again, but AKL won out for this year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: